Posted (edited)

here is the test from Toms H that turbomax linked to, if you read the 7800x3d test you see this, and my tests with booth cpus is very close its 7-8% diff

Iam not blind i clearly see the difference, but if you not tested booth it can be hard to know 

72737R4fPRkJMHgLEGZNYj-970-80.png

Edited by westman

A 4090 at 1080p is a waste.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1080p is a waste. that video is a waste. 😃

• Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Posted (edited)

1080p is for removing all GPU bottlenecks...

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

On 3/19/2024 at 3:01 PM, Ixoye said:

You will be able to load more AI and set a higher T-LOD value with a 7800X3D, that's it, your 4090 will take care of the rest ,but the question is if you need to upgrade your CPU now that Auto FPS has become a reality, it seems to work fine from what I understand.

Turns out FG became significantly better now w/ 7800X3D over the 9900K.  What's happening is I'm able to run native at 45 or so in complex scenarios instead of the 36 or so with 9900K.  Artifacts in FG were worse with the lesser CPU as well.  What this translates to now is I am able to run at a native rate of 35, doubled to 70, and there are no stutters anywhere now at least thus far.  Render Scale at 150% seemed to be adding some stutters w/ the 9900K and those are all gone now.  The sharpness and detail from RS 150 plus LODs higher (while above ground, still keeping controlled on the ground) has really made a significant improvement over what was already really good.  Runways on approach are much clearer/sharper, AI planes in the distance, stars. etc, much improved.  So no doubt the strong CPU/GPU/VRAM is what it's always been touted to be, the best solution if you can afford it.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

12 hours ago, Noel said:

So no doubt the strong CPU/GPU/VRAM is what it's always been touted to be, the best solution if you can afford it.

Yes it is, this is how the game should work for everyone, hope it will be like this with less expensive hardware in MSFS 2024.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

On 4/13/2024 at 6:02 AM, Noel said:

What's happening is I'm able to run native at 45 or so in complex scenarios instead of the 36 or so with 9900K

So Noel are you saying that you are only getting a 25% increase in FPS by by moving from a 9900K to a 7800X3D.  I was under the impression that your would get a 100% increase with that upgrade.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, brucewtb said:

So Noel are you saying that you are only getting a 25% increase in FPS by by moving from a 9900K to a 7800X3D.  I was under the impression that your would get a 100% increase with that upgrade.

Bruce

That was never my impression I looked at single thread and multi performance and it is about in line with expectation, +25%.  In this sim it's probably more than 25% but as I lock rate at 45 or so now that's good enough when we're stutter-free.  Right now I'm in the FBW 320n and locked at 45fps at another KORD gate, whereas wide open it's 78fps, but haven't loaded FSLTL yet.  My former locked rate was not quite there.  I would need to lock at KORD at around 33 or so in this plane, so 45 is a meaningful change as that is in the realm of much greater doesn't add much compared to the diff between 34 and 45.  TBH, adding 4090 was the best move here, and that is w/o using frame generation.   The added VRAM and running Render Scale at 150% really made a nice difference visually.  Had I not needed to move the 9900K into a different role I would not have done the upgrade.  7880X3D was also chosen for its modest cooling needs as I prefer air.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Posted (edited)

New CPUs GPUs and MBs releasing this year, Intel dropping HT in the yet to be released CPUs Less heat better performance could be the reason. Will have to wait and see the benchmarks.

More memory price increases blamed on Taiwan earthquake, but hikes were happening months before, and major manufacturers aren't based in Taiwan | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Confirmed again: Intel Arrow Lake Desktop Processors to Launch Without Hyper-Threading Technology (guru3d.com)

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

14 hours ago, Noel said:

That was never my impression I looked at single thread and multi performance and it is about in line with expectation, +25%.  In this sim it's probably more than 25% but as I lock rate at 45 or so now that's good enough when we're stutter-free.  Right now I'm in the FBW 320n and locked at 45fps at another KORD gate, whereas wide open it's 78fps, but haven't loaded FSLTL yet.  My former locked rate was not quite there.  I would need to lock at KORD at around 33 or so in this plane, so 45 is a meaningful change as that is in the realm of much greater doesn't add much compared to the diff between 34 and 45.  TBH, adding 4090 was the best move here, and that is w/o using frame generation.   The added VRAM and running Render Scale at 150% really made a nice difference visually.  Had I not needed to move the 9900K into a different role I would not have done the upgrade.  7880X3D was also chosen for its modest cooling needs as I prefer air.

Hmmm on looking at this again you might be right.  I am going have to temper my expectations for a CPU upgrade induced FPS boost.  More reason to hang on to my 9900 for a bit longer but like you I have another use for the 9900 so I am going to have to upgrade at some stage over the medium term and yes upgrading from a 3080ti to a 4090 has been one of my better hardware purchases as much for the doubling of VRAM as for FG.

12 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

New CPUs GPUs and MBs releasing this year, Intel dropping HT in the yet to be released CPUs Less heat better performance could be the reason. Will have to wait and see the benchmarks.

Confirmed again: Intel Arrow Lake Desktop Processors to Launch Without Hyper-Threading Technology (guru3d.com)

Interesting I have been waiting for info on where Intel is going with their new CPUs.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

9 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Hmmm on looking at this again you might be right. 

Or not...!

I realized last night on one of the failed reboots I had to pull the BIOS battery to reset it completely as the jumper didn't do it, and I had forgotten to disable hyperthreading, called "SMT" in AMD world.  Since then the rate has gone up a bit more, to very close to 30%.  At FSDT's KDEN yesterday native rate approached 80fps.  By the time we were taxiing it was around 62 or so, and that is at least a 35% bump over 9900K.  But the reality is here, for reasons I can't understand, frame generation has turned out to be a net loser.  Too much graphic aberration, panning is no better or worse, and I have no idea why.  When I ask others they can't relate it leaves me wondering if MY new RTX4090 is the culprit, or something else.   The VRAM is just was need, loving the 150% Render Scale, its raw processing power far exceed the former 3080Ti, but as I say FG really fails here.  If it did I would love to run at a lowly native rate of 30fps x 2 is 60, but the graphic anomolies are for me too hard to ignore.  As I say others can hardly relate though clearly others also report some aberrations there too, but few end up disabling FG as I have done.   I can't tell if others are so enamored  w/ frame rate they learn to ignore these aberrations, or not, no way to tell!

Noel

Well I can't help you with your FG issues - I also have my display extended over a second monitor but don't see the FG artifacts you describe. Perhaps the problem lies with the monitors you are using - do they both have the same resolution and aspect ratio?  I have a 40 inch 4K Phillips monitor and a 49 inch 4K Sony TV both circa 2017.  I run MSFS2020 on the Sony TV and Little Navmap, Simbrief etc on the Phillips.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

1 hour ago, brucewtb said:

Well I can't help you with your FG issues - I also have my display extended over a second monitor but don't see the FG artifacts you describe. Perhaps the problem lies with the monitors you are using - do they both have the same resolution and aspect ratio?  I have a 40 inch 4K Phillips monitor and a 49 inch 4K Sony TV both circa 2017.  I run MSFS2020 on the Sony TV and Little Navmap, Simbrief etc on the Phillips.

Bruce

It's possible it could be related to the monitors being used I though about that.  So I did a test to rule that out last night:  I disconnected the 2nd screen.   Unfortunately the artifacts were just as prominent.  There is some things I just can't follow on this.  I did this once before, removed the 2nd screen, and the issue seemed to disappear.  One reason is that it is very lighting sensitive.

This evening I started a flight at FSDT KDEN in the PMDG 738 and native rate was 80fps before engines running etc.  By the time I was taxiing after GSX pushback the native rate dropped as low as 43 once but was generally hovering around 46 to 50 or.  At that point I thought I would yet again try FG and voila, vastly improved w/ regard to the artifacts described.  90% improved, now roughly comparable to native though not quite.  This is a known issue w/ various revisions of Nvidia DLSS which is now headed for DLSS 4.  Usually they are working on techniques to improve image quality that is the challenge.   With version 3 it is very good for most, and why it suddenly improved here isn't clear.  Perhaps it was the into the sunset lighting flying east to west to Salt Lake City cancelled these aberrations out.  But even the typically bad with FG enabled FMC white text was vastly improved.  I made a few changes in Windows display settings maybe something done there helped.  It's been a little this way where one scenario it's very bad, then out of nowhere it's much improved, then bad again.  Anyway the tech is being further developed and I'm sure we'll be completely free of these types of issues sooner than later.

I'm pleased w/ the 7800X3D.  It's generating, along w/ 4090 of course, perfection everywhere with room to spare.  Are you running Render Scale at 150% or above?  It and higher TLOD have really amped up detail and sharpness.

Noel

On 4/17/2024 at 5:36 AM, brucewtb said:

More reason to hang on to my 9900 for a bit longer but like you I have another use for the 9900 so I am going to have to upgrade at some stage over the medium term and yes upgrading from a 3080ti to a 4090 has been one of my better hardware purchases as much for the doubling of VRAM as for FG.

The 9900 will be a significant bottleneck with your 4090. A 4090 gives you some significant future proofing for sure but you would get way better performance today, for the same money, by rather buying a 4070TiS and a current top of the range CPU from Intel or AMD, plus a new motherboard and DDR5 RAM. That’s because even an i9-14900K or AMD7950x3D is going to bottleneck a RTX4090 in MSFS2020. Even with a 4070TiS, these top tier CPU’s are the bottleneck because of MSFS’s single thread reliance.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor