Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

In San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito...

In my previous post, I'd posted about a short flight...travelling (virtually) 40 miles in a foreign land..., never actually been there in RW. Here, it's slightly different. This set of images, below, geographically spanning about 10 miles, reflect my memories of a RW trip from a long while ago. The West Coast, in spite of my several visits, primarily to the major metropolitan (big) cities, almost seems like a foreign land to me...🙂...being not really familiar with it, as I may be with Midwest and East Coast.

Anyway, Fisherman's Wharf, one of the main (tourist) attractions in San Francisco, lies 15 miles north of San Franciso airport (KSFO). With Fisherman's Wharf as the reference, the famed Golden Gate Bridge lies about 4 miles to the northwest on the Bay (in my shot # 8 VFR MAP, USR01 straight ahead is the Fisherman's Wharf and USR02 in the foreground is the Golden Gate Bridge). The picturesque community of Sausalito lies just north across the Bridge, and the Oakland Bay Bridge (shot #7) lies to the east. So, I am recalling and correlating, here, bits of my (fond) memories, as I'd driven from the Fisherman's Wharf across the Golden Gate Bridge to the heights of Sausalito on a beautiful day with the blue waters of the Bay, shining below. 

But first a memory bit about Oakland. Staying in a hotel near the Oakland Bridge, I was directed (recommended) for dinner to a Restaurant in Oakland. As I drove across the Bridge to Oakland and finally reached the Restaurant (should have called first), we were told that the Restaurant was not open that evening because of a Wedding Ceremony (it was still early). I told the receptionist that we've travelled all the way from Chicago, and if we could be allowed to stay for an early dinner, that would be greatly appreciated. The (graceful) owner was consulted and we were allowed to stay until the Wedding Ceremony got going afterwards. Before the "invited" guests started arriving, and anyone had a chance to ask us, "Are you from the bride's side or the Groom's?"....🙂..., we (profusely) thanked the owner and left the Restaurant. At least the dinner was worth it...

Besides visiting Chinatown, Japantown and the SF downtown etc., what I recall most is the drive from the Fisherman's Wharf, a most fascinating (and busy) place in itself, across the Golden Gate Bridge to the (mountainous and scenic) settlement of Sausalito. Here is another trivial fact that had influenced my visit Sausalito. There is this Pepperidge Farm brand of cookies, I have been long familiar with, that has a line of Cookies called "Sausalito", one with a combination of "Milk Chocolate and Macadamia Nuts"...🙂...Unfortunately, it so happens, and I learned afterwards, however, that Cookie has nothing to do with Sausalito, merely named after this locale. I was thinking maybe the Cookie has its origin in this place...I was a bit disappointed...Oh well...

More seriously, Sausalito is a wonderfully scenic place to visit (and just drive along its undulating roads), with mountains and oceans...together in close proximity...along with many other points of interest. 

Please find 15 images, below, as I fly out from KSFO, north towards Fisherman's Wharf, then divert west to overfly the Golden Gate Bridge, and finally I leave you with a shot from overhead of the (approaching) mountains of Sausalito...on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge which itself is seen down below...that had taken me to Sausalito...in my distant memory...

Thanks for viewing. Hope you enjoy.

LxF55A.png

JGOPC7.png

1fnOAL.png

kBj1d2.png

m8svGN.png

YzHUWx.png

zjCpXJ.png

T4xw7C.png

xWYgC5.png

I0BLVz.png

zhLV3L.png

v4dpzY.png

zFBkwN.png

2ALBeM.png

Qyo4bc.png

• Like 9

Nice sightseeing flight. Brings back memories of our first visit to San Francisco. We went straight to Sausalito to eat at the Trident, a waterfront restaurant that was all the rage in the 1970's. 🙂

• Like 3

Great Pics, but a little clarification, If I may.  The pic of the piers area is showing the Ferry Building and some
boat docks.  Fisherman's Wharf is further down and pretty much out of site.  The arrow points to where the
fishing boats would dock and the circular area is Aquatic Park.  Further up is Marina Green, San Francisco
Yacht Club, and the Presidio.

image-asset.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Great set of SF Bay area...one of my tourist favourites!

I wonder how many actual VFR days there really are in this area in real life?  🙂

• Like 1

Folks: Appreciated the interesting responses and comments…🙂

3 hours ago, John F said:

Nice sightseeing flight. Brings back memories of our first visit to San Francisco. We went straight to Sausalito to eat at the Trident, a waterfront restaurant that was all the rage in the 1970's. 🙂

Thank you, John. Trident (of Sausalito), I checked, opens for business tomorrow (Monday) at 11:30am…🙂…The interior ambience looks inviting. And I liked their dessert offering, the Crème Brûlée…🙂

3 hours ago, darrenvox said:

nice stuff!!!

Thanks much for the note…!

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Great Pics, but a little clarification, If I may.  The pic of the piers area is showing the Ferry Building and some
boat docks.  Fisherman's Wharf is further down and pretty much out of site.  The arrow points to where the
fishing boats would dock and the circular area is Aquatic Park.  Further up is Marina Green, San Francisco
Yacht Club, and the Presidio.

image-asset.jpeg

Thank you for chiming in, Charlie…and the correction. You would know for sure…🙂…Thinking back, it was actually easier driving to Fisherman’s Wharf than piloting this Cessna to it in the virtual world…🙂…Beautiful city, I wish I could visit it again….

44 minutes ago, rmeier said:

Great set of SF Bay area...one of my tourist favourites!

I wonder how many actual VFR days there really are in this area in real life?  🙂

Appreciated the comment, rmeier. Yes, it’s surely a favorite for all who have visited this area…🙂…there is just not enough time when you are a tourist…somewhat similar to your Vancouver area…Cheers…!

• Like 1

Great shots of this nice area, always like to fly there!

• Like 1

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4

Great set P_7878, thanks for showing !

Seems nice to do a sightseeing Trip around there..

cheers 😉

• Like 3

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Cool shots of a great area that I had visited with the family a few times. Thank you!

• Like 2

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Lovely shots. Always good to see this part of the world - one of my favourites both in RL and the sim. Lots of trips around there back in the day (worked for a silicon valley based company so got lots of visits to the region), and it seems to be really well done in MSFS.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Folks: Many thanks for these comments...This area seems like a favorite of many...from near and far...🙂...

Cheers...!!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:13 AM, P_7878 said:

Thank you, John. Trident (of Sausalito), I checked, opens for business tomorrow (Monday) at 11:30am…🙂…The interior ambience looks inviting. And I liked their dessert offering, the Crème Brûlée…🙂

Funny, I had to google and check that the Trident @John F and @P_7878 mentioned is the one I always pick every time I tourist here biking from the piers to Sausalito and ferry back to Embarcado 😉

3 x pilots at Ondine:

fsUKEJ1.png

The Bay Tour is always a awesome experience !

lkjq5lf.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this short trip that bring back also to me great souvenir!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

On 3/27/2024 at 5:38 AM, vbazillio said:

Funny, I had to google and check that the Trident @John F and @P_7878 mentioned is the one I always pick every time I tourist here biking from the piers to Sausalito and ferry back to Embarcado 😉

What a coincidence...🙂.... you surely do great pictorial record-keeping of your trips...Vincent...

Again, like I said before, you are probably more familiar with west-coast than most of us here ...except the natives ...

Walking and biking are great ways to get to know places...And, of course, creating scenery of airports...should help too...🙂...

• Like 1