Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

This Black Square Duke engine start video is amazing...

14 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

It takes 2 minutes to start an engine in the HJET.  BYE BYE.

sp

If it's just engine start speed that you measure quality by, CTRL+E is your friend.

• Like 4

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Formidable pedagogical tool.Flight simulation at its best really. The Comanche gave us a taste of it and they seem to step it up a notch.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

16 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

It takes 2 minutes to start an engine in the HJET.  BYE BYE.

sp

I mostly fly the Cirrus Vision Jet: turn knob, press starter. Done. 

Whereas the guy next to me on the ramp in his jalopy is still cranking this, pushing that.

I'm already wheels up on my way to a $100 cheeseburger. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The engine display are not meant to represent reality with procedures, but are there to benefit those of us who appreciate the depth of systems and the knowledge we can gain.  I personally will not use those pages when setting up for a flight, but I will when not flying the Duke to better understand the aircraft.

The fact those displays are there does not take away the realism of the product in any way - just don't use them as part of your normal flying.

Agree. I will probably want to diagnose an issue by ear of by comparing instruments but then it will be fun to check the tablet to see if I was right and learn what I missed.
And during cruise or on the ground it might be interisting to glance at the engine simulation or to see how all the systems are connected together.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Some of the comments interest me but should not get confused.

I fly the HJET because it seems a realistic RL experience.  

I could enjoy the Dukes also for different reasons.

sp

I think the tablet is great as an educational tool and it is really innovative. I get that for a few on here it isn't their cup of tea which is fine since you can just put it away. On the other hand, if such a tablet existed in real GA airplanes I would be spending lots of time monitoring it--in addition to my ear and seat of my pants : )

This looks like such a polished aircraft and there was a great deal of thoughtfulness that went into creating all aspects, you can just tell. So when I see the detail of that table, I see it as evidence of the love that's been poured into this (ambitious) 2 plane project. Well done BlackSquare...now can you please release the ____ thing so I can fly it???!!! : )

• Like 3

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Posted (edited)

The Turbine Duke is a one-click-start-wonder with no pre-heating no battery loading no pre-oiling no nothing. But still it also has several extremely detailed engine start details no other aircraft ever had, depending on if wind is blowing into the front inlet or the exhausts, temperature, and of course a legendary hot start is also possible.

The Piston Duke on the other hand really has character and is a very stubborn and interesting one when it comes to starting. Backfiring of the piston version is simulated with flames coming from the exhaust, I therefore wonder if the PT-6 engine is capable of a compressor stall? This will surely be simulated too.

Black Square has made the BEST most detailed most sophisticated simulated plane ever developed for any simulator. If one likes the HotStart challenger for X-Plane that person will absolutely love both Dukes.

Edited by JetCat

25 minutes ago, JetCat said:

The Turbine Duke is a one-click-start-wonder with no pre-heating no battery loading no pre-oiling no nothing. But still it also has several extremely detailed engine start details no other aircraft ever had, depending on if wind is blowing into the front inlet or the exhausts, temperature, and of course a legendary hot start is also possible.

The Maddog does this.  Starting with a tailwind you need to open the thrust reverser to stop the N2 rotation before start.  

I'm keen to see the pricing. Not sure whether to splash out on the bundle, or just get the piston. I'm not terribly fond of turboprops normally, but if the price is ok then I might. I wonder if they will offer a deal should you want to buy the other version later on.

6 hours ago, s0cks said:

I'm keen to see the pricing. Not sure whether to splash out on the bundle, or just get the piston. I'm not terribly fond of turboprops normally, but if the price is ok then I might. I wonder if they will offer a deal should you want to buy the other version later on.

Sorting the prices on the Justflight website by high to low, it seems to be somewhere around $48, which is steeper than I expected, but fair compared to the A2A Comanche IMO. Not sure how they'll handle the bundle.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, someone on the MSFS forums worked out from the reward points it would be $47-$48, so it seems that is the most likely price. I'm guessing $70 for the bundle, but hoping less. I also hope if you purchase only 1 version that they'll give you a discount code for the other (like they did with the Bonanza and Baron).

Edited by s0cks
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, s0cks said:

I also hope if you purchase only 1 version that they'll give you a discount code for the other (like they did with the Bonanza and Baron).

I hope so too as, like you, I'm initially only interested in the piston.  I'm sure they will, with them doing it for the Bo/Bas.

Price is steeper than expected - but only because BSq's other products have been really keenly priced.  When you look at the amount of detail in the Dukes I'd say it's fair that they match the A2A on price.  A BSq Duke will be a lot of enjoyment for a long time for $47.99. 😎

Edited by JYW

Bill

7 hours ago, JYW said:

I hope so too as, like you, I'm initially only interested in the piston.  I'm sure they will, with them doing it for the Bo/Bas.

Price is steeper than expected - but only because BSq's other products have been really keenly priced.  When you look at the amount of detail in the Dukes I'd say it's fair that they match the A2A on price.  A BSq Duke will be a lot of enjoyment for a long time for $47.99. 😎

Unfortunately they confirmed on the MSFS forum that they won't be offering coupon codes with a single variant purchase. You have to buy the bundle up front to get the discount. So I guess it's going to come down to how much the bundle costs.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, s0cks said:

Unfortunately they confirmed on the MSFS forum that they won't be offering coupon codes with a single variant purchase. You have to buy the bundle up front to get the discount. So I guess it's going to come down to how much the bundle costs.

Ah ok.

I think I'll just get the Piston then as 90% of my interest is towards that original variant.

Bill

3 minutes ago, JYW said:

Ah ok.

I think I'll just get the Piston then as 90% of my interest is towards that original variant.

Yes. I'm leaning that way too.