Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

This Black Square Duke engine start video is amazing...

I think the explanations were somewhat long winded for educational purposes - a reciprocating engine is not that hard to start although some background knowledge always helps.

• Like 1

David Porrett

9 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I think the explanations were somewhat long winded for educational purposes - a reciprocating engine is not that hard to start although some background knowledge always helps.

Yes, maybe so...but I have to say I'm still left twitching to buy!!!  aaaaaaghhhh when when when when.

I do love the tablet but I just look forward to the flying.

• Upvote 1

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

I'm in, cleaning a space in the Hangar for the new addition.. 🤠👍

• Like 1

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

4 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

It takes 2 minutes to start an engine in the HJET.  BYE BYE.

sp

Yeah and I love that one as well.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

5 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

sp

516c0b2b50c439196b0159d02e058c32.jpg

There are types of pilots LOL

• Like 5

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

5 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

sp

2 minutes ? What are you doing for the other 1.5 minutes ??

G

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

8 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Although impressive, of course in real life you do not have a tablet to monitor the inside of the engine during startup. Therefore I doubt I'll use it much, if at all. Same as with the A2A Comanche.

This. Looks cool but totally unrealistic. Just as a some of the A2A options. The systems behind it all are great, of course, but the 'advanced tablets' they come up with nowadays are just daft.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, tup61 said:

This. Looks cool but totally unrealistic.

the ASSIST menu, blue taxi chevrons, AI pilot flies your aircraft etc. etc. are even more totally unrealistic. they are Options, not compulsory. how about not activating those and the Dukeˋs innovative tablet that illustrates in an unprecedent detail and helps to understand the underlying complexity of both engine types? I am glad for these "OPTIONS" which I may, but don't have to invoke from time to time. I can't think of a better way to illustrate and explain these internal engine processes, while they happen. I am impressed at the knowledge that BKSQ has demonstrated here. to complain about an optional feature? hmmm ..

makes me want to buy and understand these two "totally unrealistic" aircraft even more.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 5

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

2 hours ago, tup61 said:

This. Looks cool but totally unrealistic. Just as a some of the A2A options. The systems behind it all are great, of course, but the 'advanced tablets' they come up with nowadays are just daft.

I have to admit, after looking at the engine tab in the Comanche tablet in awe the first few flights I don't really ever open it now. In fact I don't really want to. It's not realistic. I can hear the cylinder misfiring (for example) and that is my cue as to something being wrong. Or my power dropping because I've got carb icing. Knowing something is wrong via some magic tablet is kinda weird. That said, as a learning tool, especially the Duke tablet, it is pretty freaking cool.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, s0cks said:

That said, as a learning tool, especially the Duke tablet, it is pretty freaking cool.

That's why I like it.

David Porrett

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tup61 said:

I understand why you think it is daft, but it can be stowed out of the way, and is a good option to have as a learning tool for those of us (like me) where knowledge is limited, and we want to know more about aircraft engines, and starting and operating them. 
My knowledge doubled just by watching the video, and it also demonstrates very well how they have programmed the engine physics, such as how the engine stops rotating against a cylinder coming on to compression etc. 

The traditionalists / people who know everything / sim snob types, don't have to use the pad. It is optional so I can't see a problem with it, and I appreciate the extra effort they have put in. 

Of course, after all this, if it flies like a brick it is all for nothing, but going by Black Square's reputation and previous products, I can't see that being the case. :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 hours ago, tup61 said:

You don't have to even look at the tablet - but the systems depth remains.  Diagnose issues using your pilot brain 🙂

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

13 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

sp

You seem to have missed the fact the video was to demonstrate the systems/tablet complexity, not the actual displays/start sequence.  The Duke engines will have a similar start sequence to any other comparable aircraft.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 hours ago, tup61 said:

the 'advanced tablets' they come up with nowadays are just daft.

The engine display are not meant to represent reality with procedures, but are there to benefit those of us who appreciate the depth of systems and the knowledge we can gain.  I personally will not use those pages when setting up for a flight, but I will when not flying the Duke to better understand the aircraft.

The fact those displays are there does not take away the realism of the product in any way - just don't use them as part of your normal flying.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

14 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

To be fair, what Black Square does for the engine, HotStart did for the entire airplane, all systems, even the freaking GPS satellites are modelled. And it's a modern jet, a lot more complicated than a prop plane. I think HotStart won't lose no sleep over this (although they might lose sleep over the X-Plane situation, but that's another topic of its own).

They're not only doing this for the engine. You should check out their video that looks at the tablet specifically.

Also, I never said Black Square already surpassed HotStart, I said HotStart shouldn't think they'll ALWAYS be the most detail oriented.

BTW, Fenix also has satellite coverage modeled for their A320.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.