I just watched the Challenger Disaster on Amazon

In the movie the door seal was the cause of the accident…right after takeoff

Just like the Alaskan 737 Max

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

Amazon... Prime Video? If so, I'll watch it.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Not sure if you would call it a door seal...I believe it was a problem with the seal between segments of the solid rocket boosters and how it responded to cold temperatures.

Doug

• Upvote 4

To me the bottom line is that traveling on these problematic major passenger planes is still very much safer than going by automobile. And flights on these are probably going to be cheaper, and to me more attractive.

After 9/11 ushered in a real bargain era for cheapskates like me (prices dropped due to low demand and fear).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

Not available down here 🤦‍♂️

(God, how I hate those geographical restrictions)

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Stefti said:

I just watched the Challenger Disaster on Amazon

In the movie the door seal was the cause of the accident…right after takeoff

Just like the Alaskan 737 Max

The Challenger disaster was caused by a failure of the O-Rings in the solid rocket booster. The 737 Max-9 issue was caused by the failure to properly bolt the door plug in place, not really a failure of the seals.

Edited by mwilk
  • Upvote 1

NAX669.png

7 hours ago, mwilk said:

The Challenger disaster was caused by a failure of the O-Rings in the solid rocket booster.

I agree. Even as a Brit I remember that being described as the cause of the accident.

The words of the launch commentator still remain with me… “clearly a major malfunction”. 😟

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I agree. Even as a Brit I remember that being described as the cause of the accident.

The words of the launch commentator still remain with me… “clearly a major malfunction”. 😟

Didn't someone also say "We have a major disassembly!"

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Didn't someone also say "We have a major disassembly!"

Don’t recall that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Don’t recall that.

My mistake!  SpaceX....SpaceX called it “a rapid unscheduled disassembly".

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

My bad I watch the movie when in the beginning when the crew where trying to seal the door and made false assumption’s 

The Actors in the movie did a very believable job

I liked much better than Oppenheimer! 

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

I saw this happen in person. I definitely don't need to watch a movie about it and relive that horrible incident.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

I saw this happen in person. I definitely don't need to watch a movie about it and relive that horrible incident.

I agree 100%, and I too saw it in person.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The Challenger disaster was the first world event I heard about first online.  I worked with a guy whose girlfriend had helped start an online outlet called The Source, and he heard about it there.  He came running in the warehouse to tell us.

The Challenger disaster was the major "flashbulb event" for that generation, like the Kennedy assassination was for us.  I remember a lot of details about what was going on with both of these.  For example, with the Kennedy assassination I remember what shirt I was wearing.  With the Challenger disaster I remember where everyone in the room was standing.

I don't think I'll be watching the movie either.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;