Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Want advice regarding airliners

For now I only have one airliner and that is Majestic Dash Q400 for P3D5.4. My experience here is frequent crashes to desktop.

So I consider getting one in MSFS. One thing I ask myself is. Will I have to expect lower performance and less stability when flying a bigger and faster airliner plane compared to GA ? With my GA I get good performance and stable sim.
(My system CPU 5800X3D 32 GB RAM NIVIDIA 4770Ti video card and M.2 SSD disk with Win 11 I also fly in VR with HP Reverb G2)

Then comes the question which one is best regarding depth of simulation and great visuals and good documentation and tutorials? Price also have som significance since they tend to be very high. Also importnat is that I should be able to use it in the upcoming MSFS2024.

Posted (edited)

I don't fly airliners, but the included 787 and A310 are both pretty depth heavy IIRC. Not Fenix or PMDG level, but I would think it would give you a fairly good ballpark of what performance you could expect. There is also the free FBW A320 which many people fly as their main airliner. Again, pretty depth heavy and doesn't cost you a dime. Going by your specs, I think you'd be fine.

Edited by s0cks
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You can't go wrong with either PMDG 737 or the Fenix A320. Both are solid aircraft with the Fenix being a bit cheaper unless you get the 737-600 from PMDG. There are tons of tutorials for each on starting up from cold and dark, ect. So you shouldn't have an issue getting which ever one you want up and running. I've heard folks say the Fenix is a bit harsher than the PMDG with frame rates and such but I'm not sure if that has evened out with v2 being released recently.

Edited by Lotharen

Posted (edited)

Well, your hardware is better than mine I fly airliners all the time. New and old. PMDG 737 and 739, FSS 175LR, Fenix 320 and even older planes like the DC-6 (PMDG), F28(just bought today) and the Bae146. All of these planes are fairly in depth and have a lot of ahem "study level" attributes to them. Some don't have as many like the 737 series doesn't do much in the way of CB's but does have failures available and plenty of them. I have never owned the Dash but from my understanding it was fairly in depth and even more so than most planes in other simulators. Also my absolute favorite plane in the world.

All of the planes I own I fly often and love them. Not so much the carenado, aerosoft, nextgen or asobo atr.... 

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. The ones I listed above are very much in depth and have a substantial manual or tutorial. The DC6 alone is a bleeping novel to get through.

You could start out with some of the default planes that have mods and see how it performs? I have spent a lot of time in the sim (and tweaking) to make run pretty well. It's pretty easy to set up. I run with limited hardware, run in less than 4k (2k?), fly with traffic, higher fidelity planes, atc programs, headtracking, raas...etc etc etc and still maintain a smooth 40ish FPS in larger hubs. KJFK is terrible for literally everyone but I usually get around 30fps. Again, with traffic etc.

The Fenix is newer to me but I love it. Not an airbus guy by any means but it performs well, flies well and the manual.....lets just say the manual is ridiculous as well. hahaha.

All these planes look amazing, by the way. All of them, from what we hear from the developers, is that they will be compatible in msfs 2024

Edited by Sonosusto
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

I never had a CTD with the Majestic in FSX, and my system wasn't very high end.  CTD is usually a problem with more complex add-ons, multiple add-ons, traffic, scenery, et cetera.  I don't track my performance with each add-on, but PMDG seems to be on par with any GA I fly.  I even feel like the G1000 or G3000 gives a little stutter here and there, so it's hard to say.  I do think the Fenix is likely the most performance hungry add-on I have, but it has a lot of system depth you won't find in the PMDG.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Try the FBW A320 Neo. It is free and has plenty of depth. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

5 hours ago, RobJC said:

Try the FBW A320 Neo. It is free and has plenty of depth. 

Great advice.

It is a very well rounded free airliner that can get you started with no financial risk.

I also agree with the universal opinion that you can't go wrong with PMDG or Fenix if you want other airliner offerings.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

With that hardware, you'll be fine flying anything. You'll still stutter if you fly into O'Hare or JFK, but that's pretty much unavoidable.

My personal recommendations, one (and only one) of the PMDG 737s, the JustFlight 147, the underappreciated Leonardo Fly the Maddog (MD-80), either the FBW or the Fenix A320 (Fenix is better, but not by enough to worry about it if you feel like saving money). The upcoming PMDG 777 will be a good pick as well.

12 hours ago, Lotharen said:

You can't go wrong with either PMDG 737 or the Fenix A320. Both are solid aircraft with the Fenix being a bit cheaper unless you get the 737-600 from PMDG. There are tons of tutorials for each on starting up from cold and dark, ect. So you shouldn't have an issue getting which ever one you want up and running. I've heard folks say the Fenix is a bit harsher than the PMDG with frame rates and such but I'm not sure if that has evened out with v2 being released recently.

I think I prefer Boeing over Airbus. Airbus has the yoke on the side unlike Boing and my TM Hotas Warthog. Also I have prior experience with Boing from FSX FS9.  I also have paid tutorials for the PMDG 737 although for FSX (or maybe FS9) still much should be useful in MSFS.
The PMDG 767-600 is interesting. The least expensive. I wonder why this variant is priced so much lower than the other PMDG 737

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

Great advice.

It is a very well rounded free airliner that can get you started with no financial risk.

I also agree with the universal opinion that you can't go wrong with PMDG or Fenix if you want other airliner offerings.

From the replies it seem clear that I don't have to worry about the financial risk issue

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eslader said:

With that hardware, you'll be fine flying anything. You'll still stutter if you fly into O'Hare or JFK, but that's pretty much unavoidable.

My personal recommendations, one (and only one) of the PMDG 737s, the JustFlight 147, the underappreciated Leonardo Fly the Maddog (MD-80), either the FBW or the Fenix A320 (Fenix is better, but not by enough to worry about it if you feel like saving money). The upcoming PMDG 777 will be a good pick as well.

Yes my current impression is that these two seem most interesting

1) PMDG 737-600 because of price and being a PMDG plane. Also have prior experience with them.

2) Just Flight 146 Professional (did you mean that with JustFlight 147 ?) on sale now and analog instrument and regional plane. First I dismissed it because it has four engines and the MSFS command for selecting individual engines does not work. But it seem you rarely if ever need to adjust indivindual engines

Go first class, and get the PMDG 737-600. Low price, and it has everything you need to fly a first class study level airliner. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yeah, you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned. I can't vouch for the FBW.

If you like airliners that are kind of old-ish but still very in-depth then I would go with Just Flight Bae 146 or F28.

I was just doing touch n goes (because I am a hooligan) at KJFK while using Pilot2ATC, traffic and Fsrealistic in the F28. Took forever to figure out the start up etc but it was worth it haha. Not realistic but every time I get a plane I always do this.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

You might also want to consider the Maddog.  Great plane, great depth of simulation, just fun to fly. 

Lots of documentation and tutorials as well to get you started.  

Posted (edited)

Keep an open mind for FBW A320nx.  I was all Boeing for 25y and never Airbus myself until I was nudged to give it a try and I love it.  It's a very well developed plane, superior documentation on every aspect, super nice electronic flight tablet and performs about the same as PMDG 73x.  And bonus:  it's free, and its installer is wonderful.  It also installs FSLTL, the freeware air traffic addon I can also heartily recommend.  For smaller jets I really like Aerosoft's CRJ700 as well and it's very easy on performance.

Oh, and of course you can fly it with a yoke as desired.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X