Sign in to follow this  
DAD

Just Flight 146 v2 update available

7 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Speed management is a bit finicky at cruise, finding the right thrust setting to maintain a reasonable speed. Leaving the flight deck is probably not a good idea, and yesterday she nearly stalled while I was checking Avsim. Which of course would never happen in the real world, so my point is sort of moot. 

I haven’t had the autopilot issue. Yet.

The worst is the plane seems to know when you are no paying attention. Keep your eye on the speed for an hour and she flies fine.

Go make a cup of coffee or a bathroom break and the speed is out the windows.

Big brother is watching . This plane is evil, Going to start calling her Christine.

• Like 3

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

5 minutes ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

The worst is the plane seems to know when you are no paying attention. Keep your eye on the speed for an hour and she flies fine.

Go make a cup of coffee or a bathroom break and the speed is out the windows.

Big brother is watching . This plane is evil, Going to start calling her Christine.

Christine is a good name! Or perhaps even more aptly suited - Kristine after my ex-girlfriend 😅 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

For speed management in cruise I find that TGT on the TMS is much more consistent than using sync with a target n1. I can generally get my speed to sit within a pretty small window this way. I have no idea how often or when TGT is/was used in real life flying, but it sure works great in-sim. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dermot McClusky said:

For speed management in cruise I find that TGT on the TMS is much more consistent than using sync with a target n1. I can generally get my speed to sit within a pretty small window this way. I have no idea how often or when TGT is/was used in real life flying, but it sure works great in-sim. 

I've never tried TGT yet. TOGA for takeoff, MCT for climb and then SYNC. 

Not sure if I understand how TGT mode works. From the manual: 

Pressing the TGT push-button causes the TMS to enter TGT mode and the green arrow beneath the TGT legend
to light.

In the TGT mode the TMS controls each engine’s TGT by trimming its power lever up or down to maintain the
TGT selected by the CDU front panel thumbwheel control. A new value selected is automatically captured except
when the hundreds digit is changed. When the hundreds digit is changed the actuators are frozen, the legend
goes out and the TMS reverts to the standby state.

To re-engage TGT mode, the TGT push-button must be re-pressed and the new temperature will be captured. In
the TGT mode the TGT target value in ˚C is selected by the CDU thumbwheel control. This, topping at the MCT
limit value, is continuously displayed on the N%/˚C display. If the thumbwheel TGT is set too high, the MCT limit
will be displayed. When a high TGT value is selected, for example when climbing, an N1 schedule may override
(as with MCT mode). In this eventuality control and display are similar to the MCT mode, with scheduled N1
replacing 857˚C.

Control does not begin in TGT mode until 2.5 seconds after mode selection to enable SYNC also to be selected
if desired without a double-engine disturbance.

EDIT: Ok, so it targets a temp corresponding to a thrust setting. I'll give it a try. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

On 4/5/2024 at 12:18 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

Got something weird going on with the checklist. Anyone got this? And please don't hit me with the RTFM stuff, be nice 🙂

zNOM7H3.jpeg

After the checklist goes blank, you can open it in a new window by holding down the right CTRL key and clicking on it with your mouse select button. The new window opens to the index page and has all of the hotspots for previous and next and other stuff mentioned in  the manual.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dermot McClusky said:

I've always found that, even set as low as 600 that ends up with an overspeed. At least in the 200QT.....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

3 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

I've always found that, even set as low as 600 that ends up with an overspeed. At least in the 200QT.....

G

Same here. It will creep up over time even with the TMS.

• Like 1

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

Posted (edited)

Forgot to reduce thrust when reaching cruise altitude...

s9Vslum.png

Other than that, I find TGT around 600 degrees works well for 250KIAS. 

LKzESKq.jpeg

Also, holds are working well. And VNAV is useful for setting V/S on descent. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

@Cpt_Piett got to say I am impressed by the UNS1 - definitely an improvement over the "modern" FMS (nothing against Working Title, just that the UNS1 provides more information the WT unit would normally display elsewhere).

G

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

@Cpt_Piett got to say I am impressed by the UNS1 - definitely an improvement over the "modern" FMS (nothing against Working Title, just that the UNS1 provides more information the WT unit would normally display elsewhere).

Yes, same! I like using it. Like you I have nothing against the WT version. The manual is very well written.

The UNS-1 is a type of FMS that can be more commonly seen fitted to 146 aircraft operating
in the real world
and provides a large selection of LNAV functions, including the ability to manually enter flight
plans using waypoints and airways; import and export flight plans that are stored locally on your PC; enter SIDs,
STARs and transitions; and perform holding patterns.

Just tried to get into ENRA in IMC but good enough for getting into the airport. Runway length is 872m which might be marginal. I find the approach extremely difficult! Even in smaller aircraft e.g. the TBM850. Not the RNAV approach itself, but the visual manoeuvring around a hill where the runway does not become visual until short final.  Go-around options are limited once established on short final. 

xBHwOih.jpeg

The limitations section of the manual is fairly comprehensive, but nowhere in the manual can I find anything about runway distance required. Does anyone know what the minimum RDR is in this aircraft?

I'll probably spend the rest of the evening making a video documenting my failed attempts 😅 Anyway, it might be useful as I'm using the TMS and UNS-1 actively during the flight. And as always - for entertainment value watching me fail 😆

The only thing I really dislike at the moment is that buttons sometimes have to be pressed 3 times until they react. Extremely distracting, especially when pressed for time. Other than that I absolutely love flying the aircraft. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, dobee51 said:

After the checklist goes blank, you can open it in a new window by holding down the right CTRL key and clicking on it with your mouse select button. The new window opens to the index page and has all of the hotspots for previous and next and other stuff mentioned in  the manual.

Sorry, it was late when I posted this. It's the right ALT key. 

Posted (edited)

Here's a video of me trying to land at ENRA's 872m runway. It didn't go too well. Possible reasons:

• the runway is way too short for the 146 i.e. it's impossible
  • my skills are just not good enough

Anyway, I cover some topics that could be interesting: 

• RNAV approach ending in visual segment
  • Short field landing
  • Bad weather
  • Missed approach
  • Lateral navigation using RNAV mode
  • Descent using V/S and IAS modes and the magic sync button
  • Using the UNS-1
  • Entering a flight plan with departure and approach
  • Using direct to waypoint and VNAV page on the FMS
  • Using the TMS

And here's a Wideroe Dash-8 real world ENRA approach: 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

@Cpt_Piett watching the landing I would say it's probably possible, you lost a lot of the runway with the bounce, and came in slightly hot.

Obviously easier to watch and comment than do, I seem to remember making the QW RJ's brakes more effective for short runways!....

G

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

@Cpt_Piett watching the landing I would say it's probably possible, you lost a lot of the runway with the bounce, and came in slightly hot.

Obviously easier to watch and comment than do, I seem to remember making the QW RJ's brakes more effective for short runways!....

Thanks for the comment, any input is helpful. I think I bounced on all three attempts which doesn’t work too well on a runway like this. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

21 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Forgot to reduce thrust when reaching cruise altitude...

Could you really say you flew this bird a lot if this never happened to you? lol

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.