Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

April 4, 2024 MSFS Development Update

Posted (edited)

APRIL 4TH, 2024 – DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

A T-6 Texan in yellow US Air Force paint flies low to nearby icy glaciersThis week’s Screenshot Challenge winner is Forum user HolmesCZ6127! If you’re interested in participating in our weekly Screenshot Challenges, check out the details in the Community section below!

We are now accepting questions for our next Developer Livestream! If you would like to pre-submit a question for our panel, please complete the form at this link. Our team will collate all the submissions to ensure the panel addresses the most frequently-asked questions from the community. As always, the livestream will be broadcast on our official Twitch channel, so please follow it to be notified when we go live if you have not already done so.

Recently on X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram, we’ve been running daily MSFS Madness polls where the community can vote for their favorite aircraft in head-to-head matchups. Voters have eliminated half the field from the original starting 64, and we’re now onto the Round of 32. Check out the updated tournament bracket below. Do you think there were any surprise upsets in the first round? Which aircraft are you hoping wins it all? Let us know in the forums! To participate in the voting yourself, follow our accounts on Twitter and Instagram. You can make your vote count twice by voting on both platforms!

MSFS Madness Tournament Bracket Round of 32

– MSFS Team

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Development Update Banner

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Feedback Snapshot.

• No update this week.

SDK UPDATE

ASOBO

• No update this week.

WORKING TITLE / MSFS AVIONICS FRAMEWORK

• No update this week.

MARKETPLACE

MARKETPLACE SALE

Spring has arrived, and with it comes the Microsoft Flight Simulator Spring Sale! The sale runs from now until April 11th. You can save up to 85% on more than 2250 Marketplace items. Happy flying!

Marketplace Sale - March 29 - April 11

MARKETPLACE RELEASES

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.

There are 81 new and 35 updated products in today’s Marketplace Update.

MARKETPLACE BACKLOG

Current Backlog: 422 Total

BACKLOG: NEW PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type In MS Processing In MS Testing In 3P Testing Total
Aircraft 18 2 8 28
Mission 12 0 52 64
Scenery 6 0 4 10
Livery 50 0 12 62
Airport 39 10 23 72
Other 12 0 7 19
Total 137 12 106 255
BACKLOG: UPDATED PRODUCTS
  Testing Status
Content Type In MS Processing In MS Testing In 3P Testing Total
Aircraft 41 6 4 51
Mission 2 0 0 2
Scenery 17 1 2 20
Livery 19 7 4 30
Airport 43 3 14 60
Other 3 0 1 4
Total 125 17 25 167

THIRD PARTY UPDATE

• As of 04/01, we have now approved 268 (+3) third parties into the in-sim marketplace and – so far 221 (+1) have released 3,407 products on PC (+19) and 3,152 on Xbox (+23).
  • In total, 4,299 products (+50) have already been released in 3rd party stores and the in-sim marketplace. Beyond that, another 834 products (-6) from 3rd party developers are in production (342 announced, 492 unannounced). In total, over 5,133 3rd party products (+44) have either been released or are in development.
  • Airports:
    • 2,386 airports (+14) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 2,161 airports (+20) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 1,633 airports (+13) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 114 airports (+0) beyond the released airports have been announced.
      • 111 airports (-2) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an airport is in production.
  • Aircraft:
    • 817 aircraft (+2) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 382 aircraft (+10) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 299 aircraft (+8) have been released in the in-sim PC marketplace.
      • 284 aircraft (+8) have been released in the in-sim Xbox marketplace.
      • 209 aircraft (-2) beyond the released aircraft have been announced.
      • 226 aircraft (-6) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an aircraft is in production.
  • Scenery:
    • 1,125 scenery packs (+5) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 1,092 scenery packs (+8) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 656 scenery packs (+8) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 20 scenery packs (+2) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
      • 13 scenery packs (-7) are not announced but the dev let us know that scenery is in production
  • Mission Packs:
    • 327 mission packs (+9) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 280 mission packs (+7) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 219 mission packs (+7) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 mission packs (+0) beyond the released missions have been announced.
      • 47 mission packs (+2) are not announced, but the dev let us know that they are in production.
  • Livery Packs:
    • 440 livery packs (+12) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 357 livery packs (+5) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 349 livery packs (+5) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 1 livery pack (+0) beyond the released scenery has been announced.
      • 82 livery packs (+7) are not announced, but the dev let us know that scenery is in production.
  • Ships & Watercraft:
    • 38 ships & watercraft (+0) are either released or are in various stages of development.
      • 27 ships & watercraft (+0) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
      • 22 ships & watercraft (+0) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
      • 0 ships & watercraft (+0) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
      • 11 ships & watercraft (+0) are not announced, but dev let us know that scenery is in production

COMMUNITY

Community

COMMUNITY FLY-IN FRIDAY

Community Fly-In Friday: World Tour Stage 12, Andorra to Madrid. April 5th at 1800 UTC. twitch.tv/msfsofficial

The Community Fly-In Friday World Tour continues!

This week, we’re taking a siesta in beautiful Spain!

Our flight starts where we left off last time at LESU, just across the Spanish border from Andorra, and then we’ll head southbound for a touch & go at Barcelona, one of the most picturesque cities in the world (particularly when seen from the air). From Barcelona, we will then turn on a generally westerly heading as we make our way to the capital city of Madrid.

Be sure to install the free World Update VIII: Iberia from the in-sim Marketplace for the best experience during this flight.

Event details are available here. All are welcome to participate!

COMMUNITY VIDEO

For this week’s Community Video we join popular YouTuber Blu Games as they operate a long haul flight across the Pacific Ocean from Sydney (YSSY) all the way to Los Angeles (KLAX) in the Qantas Airlines Boeing 787-9. We really enjoyed watching the level of depths Blu goes into on these complex flights by tracking all of their data, as well as including some great replay shots too!

What’s the longest flight you’ve completed in Microsoft Flight Simulator?

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

This week’s screenshot challenge: Turbulent Trips

This past week’s Screenshot Challenge was: Crossing Continents

A T-6 Texan in yellow US Air Force paint flies low to nearby icy glaciers

Weekly Screenshot Challenge Winner: HolmesCZ6127 (Forums)

An F-5 avoids rain showers with marshland and dense vegetation below

Screenshot by @CpuGeta486 (Twitter)

Four BAe Hawk aircraft in desert military paint cruise bank right in close formation above sandy terrain below

Screenshot by Lwsail (Forums)

A Latécoère 631 flies over an ancient monument with the sun reflecting brightly off of its fuselage and wings

Screenshot by @ukaka5656 (Twitter)

A KLM Royal Dutch Airlines DC-3 flies level over the top of undulating terrain, with a large lake visible behind the aircraft

Screenshot by HeKa48 (Forums)

A DC-6 banks left as it cruises above low cloud layers near mountain ranges

Screenshot by @Johnny_aircargo (Twitter)

A DC-3 flies towards a valley in between high terrain, with a river flowing through the valley below

Screenshot by @klrkjp1 (Twitter)

The perspective of a passenger looking out of a window of a Boeing 737 passenger airline. Outside the window the wing of the aircraft is in view, with coral reefs below.

Screenshot by FSXico97 (Forums)

An ITA Airways Airbus A330 cruises high above snowy mountain ranges.

Screenshot by TMTann (Forums)

The Spirit of St. Louis aircraft banks right whilst flying low over Paris, France. The Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe are lit up nearby.

Screenshot by @2525ARW (Twitter)

An Etihad Boeing 777 cruises high above a desert

Screenshot by GOTAWAKEMAN (Forums)

NEXT DEVELOPMENT BLOG UPDATE – April 11th, 2024

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 11

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

We are not ready to talk more about Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, so please refrain from asking at this time.

Booooooooooo!

• Upvote 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

29 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Booooooooooo!

Waiting for FSExpo? IDK

Yeah why talk about the next sim when martial can tell us more about ignoring VR bugs because he couldn't be bothered to properly reproduce them 😄

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I’m impatient to hear more about ‘24 as well. 

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Mods, we need a pin for Asobo’s update. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Krakin said:

Booooooooooo!

Yes, strange.  They tantalise us with the original video, then a few tech demo's, then they say don't ask us about it in their rather formal language.  Corporate types...  I will never understand them.  :rolleyes:

Where was that quote from by the way?  

• Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

59 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I will never understand them.  :rolleyes:

Hmmm that opens the field for wild conspiracy theories 😱.  you gotta love it.

They may have sent a memo to Satya to greenlight the project. And they wait, wait, wait for it. Not to worry of course. Of course. What me worry ?

Note that I call him Satya, that tells a lot, right ?

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Where was that quote from by the way?  

https://forms.microsoft.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR1r3nNQ_40JBjVeCHjmDms9UMFdKSEhBUkk3RUtSNUdPTUZQWTVBUzI4Ni4u

This form probably is just carrying the wording from earlier this year, but then again they would've removed the MSFS 2024 bit if they wanted to take questions about it.. like discussed on another thread, we likely won't get meaty info until June when the XBox 2024 showcase event is and also FSExpo. That said, hopefully they can at the very least give more tidbits at the Q&A like Jorg did earlier with that screenshot of the grand canyon in MSFS 2024 🙂 I suppose indirectly we're also getting a feel for what's coming in v2024 given all the backports or sub-backports of its features to v2020 like new ground handling, a tiny bit of the reworked atmospheric engine that fixed the sky colors a couple of SUs ago, multi-rotors for helis, etc.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Didn't see anything in this update re: SU15...is there a date yet or is it still "sometime in April..." ? Anyone have further info?

• Like 1

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

On 4/5/2024 at 4:42 PM, Purr said:

Didn't see anything in this update re: SU15...is there a date yet or is it still "sometime in April..." ? Anyone have further info?

There's no release date yet

When they have some deliverables to deliver, they will deliver them :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 4/5/2024 at 6:11 PM, lwt1971 said:

https://forms.microsoft.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR1r3nNQ_40JBjVeCHjmDms9UMFdKSEhBUkk3RUtSNUdPTUZQWTVBUzI4Ni4u

This form probably is just carrying the wording from earlier this year, but then again they would've removed the MSFS 2024 bit if they wanted to take questions about it.. like discussed on another thread, we likely won't get meaty info until June when the XBox 2024 showcase event is and also FSExpo. That said, hopefully they can at the very least give more tidbits at the Q&A like Jorg did earlier with that screenshot of the grand canyon in MSFS 2024 🙂 I suppose indirectly we're also getting a feel for what's coming in v2024 given all the backports or sub-backports of its features to v2020 like new ground handling, a tiny bit of the reworked atmospheric engine that fixed the sky colors a couple of SUs ago, multi-rotors for helis, etc.

Is this new ground handling feature in the SU15 Beta?

1 hour ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

Partly.  It only applies to a few Asobo default aircraft currently, and it isn't a full ground handling overhaul but just gives a few degrees more freedom to the wheels. 
Developers will have to add lines to their aircraft configs to get it to work, so it isn't what I would call a global change to the core dynamics of the sim.

I have tried it in the default Cessna, and I am not sure it adds a lot really.  Maybe a little better, but if it is hard to tell then, that tells you how much of an improvement it is. 
I think the lack of inertia in some aircraft is the issue. You flick the rudder or turn the tiller, and over they go, instantly, like a paper plane with no mass.

Some developers get around it by using their own physics / ground handling model.  The A2A Comanche is one, and it feels rather good.
I know A2A are considered a top tier developer, but that is the feel that Asobo should be aiming for if they can. 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

It is, but aircraft flight models need to be updated to take advantage of it (MS/Asobo only updated their C172 and Cabri). 3rd party aircraft devs soon will hopefully, i.e. iniBuilds did for their A300 per https://youtu.be/N4cxNccH66U?t=1318

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD