Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

ActiveSky FS Released

31 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

You can just as easily (actually more easily, because you just type the ICAO in) look up METARs in the AS app. I don't find the MSFS toolbar better / more immersive in that regards, it's a big blue thing on your screen. Also the ATIS should be correct in MSFS, because that comes from the actual weather.

I have used the interface of AS for +8 years so to drop in and out of sim is why they properly invented the drop down menu in P3D for a reason.

Thanks for the suggestion but i am just trying to improve the experience in sim . Again i havent read the manual 🙂

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Bummer, I got one good flight out of Active Sky, updated it , and now it will not connect to MSFS,   Back to default weather. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Bummer, I got one good flight out of Active Sky, updated it , and now it will not connect to MSFS,   Back to default weather. 

You have to go and run ASutillities manually....same thing happened to me, after updating Flow and AS. AS Addon folder....

Alex 

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

That happened to me upon update. I had to reboot the PC and then I got the message that there was another session in use and if I wanted to disconnect it. Said yes and the program popped open.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/toolbar-mods.14820/ can help maybe. Or just reinstall. Update works fine for me.
EDIT: Also as others said, you might have updated it while it was still running in the background. Always manually close it after closing MSFS.

I was a bit sceptical if live weather was better with it, but it totally is. It even kind of "simulates" distant weather fronts. E.g. on my departure airport it was CAVOK and indeed the skies above me were blue, but AS interpolated other data (forecast?) and showed clouds in the far distance beyond the airport. Not a real "front", but dispersed cloud formations. So it can at least make it seem like there's different weather zones in the simulator.

I'm lovin' it. Feels like the last good thing missing from P3D times is finally here and I've never been as much as a happy simmer as I am right now.

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

That happened to me upon update. I had to reboot the PC and then I got the message that there was another session in use and if I wanted to disconnect it. Said yes and the program popped open.

That is exactly what I just did, and now it is working. Looks like an update, requires a restart of your PC, 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sidfadc said:

So 23 pages in....is it worth it or not?

If you bought AS before you may buy it.  I didn't and won't because I rarely use live weather. 

If you don't want to bite Floyds Soft Clouds are great.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So I'm halfway through my first flight with it... impressions so far:

1. On the ground, the clouds look very good - way better and more atmospheric than the MSFS rendering.
  2. Once airborne and above a certain flight level ... I have to say, I prefer it in "Passive mode". The MSFS rendering seems much better at rendering the upper atmosphere. The AS rendering is rather flat and "samey" (at least on this flight, like I say it's my first).
  3. Turbulence effects and "random chop" is perfect

So for me ... I would love it if there could be an option to switch to passive mode above a certain flight level. Since there isn't, I'm probably going to leave it in passive mode and let MSFS control the weather rendering but have ActiveSky running for the atmospheric effects which are excellent.

Edited by FPVSteve
  • Like 2

Self-Loading Cargo - Real-time Cabin Crew and Passenger Simulator for MSFS, X-Plane, P3D and FSX

Just now, FPVSteve said:

1. On the ground, the clouds look very good - way better and more atmospheric than the MSFS rendering.
  2. Once airborne and above a certain flight level ... I have to say, I prefer it in "Passive mode". The MSFS rendering seems much better at rendering the upper atmosphere. The AS rendering is rather flat and "samey" (at least on this flight, like I say it's my first).

So for me ... I would love it if there could be an option to switch to passive mode above a certain flight level. Since there isn't, I'm probably going to leave it in passive mode and let MSFS control the weather rendering but have ActiveSky running for the atmospheric effects which are excellent.

Only problem is you miss many features in Passive mode like T storms, cirrus clouds, etc. 

spacer.png

Well sure, but it is only 1 click away if I feel the need. Being able to change "on the fly" is a really nice feature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Self-Loading Cargo - Real-time Cabin Crew and Passenger Simulator for MSFS, X-Plane, P3D and FSX

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

That is exactly what I just did, and now it is working. Looks like an update, requires a restart of your PC, 

I just updated right over and continued to run. As always, each system is different. It sounds more like AS wasn't properly closed before the update for whatever reason.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

13 minutes ago, FPVSteve said:

The AS rendering is rather flat and "samey" (at least on this flight, like I say it's my first).

The flat and samey look is probably stratus layers which MSFS does not display. They are accurate but flat. Damien has mentioned that he's looking into a "disable stratus layer" option for those who don't like the visuals.

For me, the MSFS visuals are beautiful but not representative of real world. Way too many cumulus clouds but they do look pretty. MSFS doesn't display cirrus clouds either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

13 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I just updated right over and continued to run. As always, each system is different. It sounds more like AS wasn't properly closed before the update for whatever reason.

You may be right. 

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, FPVSteve said:

Not sure what to tell you....FL350.....Looks awesome, but I do agree that on the ground looks better than anyone else can make it..... Take a look at this:  https://imgur.com/a/0WfLGAO

Alex