Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

ORBX New Zealand Mesh still relevant?

Posted (edited)

Flying around NZ the past couple days and I have been noticing quite a bit of terrain morphing, kinda like steps in the terrain that keep moving as if the ground height is constantly being adjusted in the vicinity of the aircraft. Got me wondering as I have Orbx New Zealand Mesh installed. I have checked it is the current v1.1.0 version.

Anyone else notice this and/or is this a known issue? Is this mesh even still relevant as I know that the NZ WU a while back added improved mesh anyway.

Edited by RaptyrOne
  • Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

24 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Anyone else notice this and/or is this a known issue? Is this mesh even still relevant as I know that the NZ WU a while back added improved mesh anyway.

Why don’t you remove Orbx NZ Mesh for a few days and check it out for yourself?

-B

Hi

I also noted some issues after the NZ WU so i stopped using Orbx NZ Mesh. 

To the best of my knowledge Orbx mesh has not been updated to make it compatible.

Best wishes.

Bob

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If i recall correctly, it was recommended by Asosbo to remove the Orbx mesh since the first NZ update 

Edited by Naki18
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Is this mesh even still relevant as I know that the NZ WU a while back added improved mesh anyway.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=orbx+new+zealand+mesh+msfs

Information regarding NZ Mesh for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Posted February 24, 2023

As we know, the New Zealand World Update uses the same LINZ source data as we did for our NZ Mesh product, with about a third of the country being covered with 1m LiDAR data, and the remainder with about 10m resolution.

Our package is pre-compiled at 10m while the New Zealand update version gets streamed at up to the full resolution of the source. This means that the sim will load and cycle through three additional levels of detail near the user aircraft, which can cause visible ground changes. In addition, we use different algorithms for generating the embedded LOD levels, which usually helps with retaining terrain shapes at mid to far distances.

With that in mind, we are temporarily removing NZ Mesh from sale on OrbxDirect and the Microsoft Marketplace. Customers who already have purchased the scenery will still be able to access the product to install/reinstall.

Once the NZ World Update is released, we welcome feedback from existing users on their NZ Mesh experience with the update. As it's a sizeable area to assess for pros and cons, this will be valuable to us and help us determine future plans for NZ Mesh.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/217215-information-regarding-nz-mesh-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

WORLD UPDATE XII: NEW ZEALAND

Posted February 24, 2023

The Microsoft Flight Simulator team brought together the latest geographic data to create World Update XII: New Zealand, including satellite imagery, aerial photography, and digital elevation models.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/world-update-xii-new-zealand-now-available/

They could have mentioned the actual mesh resolution in the release notes. 

3 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Flying around NZ the past couple days and I have been noticing quite a bit of terrain morphing, kinda like steps in the terrain that keep moving as if the ground height is constantly being adjusted in the vicinity of the aircraft. Got me wondering as I have Orbx New Zealand Mesh installed. I have checked it is the current v1.1.0 version.

Been flying a lot in NZ lately and I don't think I've noticed any morphing (Orbx mesh not installed). Might have forgotten about it though, as my memory tends be be at the level of a goldfish* nowadays.

*Might be worse than a goldfish actually: 

However, my initial research showed that not only did goldfish learn quickly, but their memory was certainly longer than three seconds. My second-year experiment confirmed that goldfish can learn quickly, and showed that goldfish can recall memories for at least one month.

https://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/curriculum-collections/young-naturalist-awards/goldfish-as-a-model-for-understanding-learning-and-memory-more-complex-than-you-think#:~:text=However%2C my initial research showed,for at least one month.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

LOL, come on Cpt_Piett! I did Google first and I got the same results you did. 🤣 BUT in my defense, it is dated more than a year ago and speaks about being “temporarily” removed. I found nothing dated more recently to say it should be permanently removed, (or vice-versa, that it works better than Asobo version) plus, it is available to download in my Orbx app.

But OK, banished from my PC is the verdict. Can’t remember what I paid for it but nothing lasts forever…. Just like your memory.🤣

PS, pretty sure my goldfish issues are way more developed than yours so you are not alone. 😁 Now what was I going to delete again?

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Update for what it’s worth, Orbx NZ TM definitely messes things up. Uninstalled it and the ugly terrain stepping has vanished.

• Like 1

GregH

23 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Is this mesh even still relevant as I know that the NZ WU a while back added improved mesh anyway.

Thoroughly disappointed with third party terrain mesh products for MSFS.
Nearly always incompatible with freeware and payware airports, nor is the resolution is anywhere near what we had in prior flight sims. 10m vs. 2m (or even 1m) mesh is a significant difference that I miss in MSFS.

As you've seen for yourself, NZ mesh is no longer required. In fact, it's been pulled from sale by Orbx.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 hours ago, F737MAX said:

it's been pulled from sale by Orbx.

Those that purchased it should be given store credits…. It’s not like MSFS is some piece of old unsupported software. And they really should then put a cautionary note up when you select it in your app (those that own it) that it may have undesirable effects if the NZ sim update is installed. Not everyone frequents forums. I won’t be buying anymore mesh products.

• Like 2

GregH

4 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

I won’t be buying anymore mesh products.

Same! I think the Norway mesh resolution is 1m and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Can’t remember where I read that though 🐟😉

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I removed the Orbx mesh as a few third party products required it after the Asobo update (Milford Sound add on etc.). 

Likewise, I won't purchase any more mesh in areas likely to be covered by Asobo. 

All I will say is whatever system Orbx used to reduce morphing (which seemed to work) I wish Asobo would adopt it. A lot of what they do is half-assed and they don't seem to care that it is. 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

The simple answer... no.

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

what about alaska and South America Mesh?   best to uninstall those as well?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

14 hours ago, F737MAX said:

In fact, it's been pulled from sale by Orbx.

Which is the only answer this thread needed.

There is a reason why ORBX only still sells the Himalayas Mesh.

• Like 1

I'd like to think these won't really be needed with MSFS 2024, the updated dems by Asobo/MS have been good enough, the ORBX and other ones were (for me) merely to tide me over until those areas got updated.

Of course it's hard to tell what areas they will update, so if these come on sale for the next sim I'll only be interested in those areas that are unlikely to get officially updated, like the Himalayas for example.

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)