Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Active Sky after 2 weeks - to be or not to be?

Mods may kill this thread if they think it's necessary, i have my answers. I'd rather stay on holding pattern for now and see how things would develop. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

IMHO opinion (been doing LOTS of testing and comparisons): to be.

3 hours ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

The only way is to buy and try it would seem.

This. Again, from my perspective (which is probably worth less than sand in Sahara at this stage), it’s at least 25$ better than default. 

Just my 0.0000001 cents.

EDIT:

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Upvote 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

14 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Mods may kill this thread if they think it's necessary, i have my answers. I'd rather stay on holding pattern for now and see how things would develop. 

…”That is the question”, Great Thought!, “Kill IT”!

• Like 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

My only thought on these types of products is there is a high likelihood they will not work with 2024 since the entire weather engine is being rewritten, unlike aircraft and airports/scenery, which should still be usable even if the developer doesn't update them.

Active Sky has huge room for improvement. Yet for the price I got I don't regret. There is difference in weather depiction vs stock

image.png?ex=66350ee8&is=6633bd68&hm=10e

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

To me its really confusing why people have such disdain for METAR.  METAR is everything in real aviation.  Some company policies prohibit airliners to land or takeoff without reception of the METAR (atis/asos/awos).  So much is planned around metar and taf too.  It's an accurate depiction of the weather at the airport.  Occasionally it's out of date, but not if the station provides a SPECI which transmits weather every 5 minutes.  Nothing is more accurate.    

And people don't want that in the sim....  Quite frankly I believe the reason is many aren't pilots - and that's fine.  I understand the draw of weather systems as you fly across a country etc - it can be really cool.  The weather systems in MSFS tend to be several hours behind too.  But to delete metar functionality is to go further away from a more realistic simulator.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Flic1 said:

You do see more stratiform clouds which look nice from below and above and I did see several layers of clouds including 'cirrus'

I think most clouds are replications of CU, both in ASFS and default.

The turbulence setting is also very good, much better than default.  I have had to keep MSFS on 'low' because it it very unrealistic above that.  AS does provide a more plausible movement in turbulence.

Somewhat agree. Don’t think it’s a huge difference though. Still indecisive. There’s something a bit strange about strong winds in default though, aircraft tends to float down the runway making it very hard to touch down. Don’t get this with AS. I’ve done a fair share of strong wind landings in light GA (IRL), and although there’s some floating / ballooning, it’s not as pronounced.

3 hours ago, Flic1 said:

MSFS Live WX looked bad...it had the volcanic ash clouds which is my least favorite aspect of it. 

I’ve seen those atrocious “clouds” in both.

I have not tested any Thunderstorms as of yet.

https://youtu.be/RostCMK3l6Q?si=zxMMPp2yu4dbTAWg&t=52

I don't think there is a simple "which one is better" because it’s going to depend on the situation.  If you want to see a little different visual representation than what we are used to, AS will do that.  If you want to fly along seeing overcast to your right where a front lies and clear to the left matching the current real-time satellite conditions, MSFS default LIve does that very well and AS will not be able to depict that.

Well said, agree. 

28 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

To me its really confusing why people have such disdain for METAR.  METAR is everything in real aviation. 

Couldn’t have said it better. IMHO Microsobo didn’t “break” the weather back in SU5 or whatever with mixing Meteoblue forecasts with METARs. And they didn’t do it just for the VATSIM crowd.

5th edit:

Forgot to add that I didn’t think I’d be much interested in historical weather. Turns out I’ve used it a lot lately.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

IMO it's worth it, cost is personal but for me it was just about right and it's much better seeing clouds like what we had pre-SU7. 

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

My take is that there is no ideal solution right now.  The MSFS weather has things it does well, and has things it doesn't do well.  The preset-based approach/ASFS has things it does well, and has things it doesn't do well.

As others have said -- I wish we could combine the two systems and we would have weather that is really, really good.

ASFS Passive mode is possibly a compromise at this point in time, with the effects of ASFS but the area-wide weather model of MSFS.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Posted (edited)

I'm still not quite understanding the "passive mode".  Okay it allows you to use the Active Sky interface, but I'm also hearing that there are more impressive cloud formations than all the cauliflower stuff you get with MSFS.  How is this so, if it's MSFS that is then controlling the weather? Is passive mode the happy medium between no "jumping" weather transitions and yet nicer looking clouds?

Edited by Langeveldt

I find it far more realistic looking than MSFS weather, and use it every flight since buying it. Each to their own i guess.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

59 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Active Sky has huge room for improvement. Yet for the price I got I don't regret. There is difference in weather depiction vs stock

image.png?ex=66350ee8&is=6633bd68&hm=10e

I don't get this shot, is this supposed to the improved AS shot? It looks like the clouds are sitting on the ground

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

53 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

To me its really confusing why people have such disdain for METAR.  METAR is everything in real aviation.  Some company policies prohibit airliners to land or takeoff without reception of the METAR (atis/asos/awos).  So much is planned around metar and taf too.  It's an accurate depiction of the weather at the airport.  Occasionally it's out of date, but not if the station provides a SPECI which transmits weather every 5 minutes.  Nothing is more accurate.    

And people don't want that in the sim....  Quite frankly I believe the reason is many aren't pilots - and that's fine.  I understand the draw of weather systems as you fly across a country etc - it can be really cool.  The weather systems in MSFS tend to be several hours behind too.  But to delete metar functionality is to go further away from a more realistic simulator.

Naah!  Most of  time I flew IFR  and checked in with departure, ATC always asking to report ceiling and tops 🙂 . Sothe most accurate weather report is PIREP and most current wind report is magic phrase "wind check" on short final LOL

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Naah!  Most of  time I flew IFR  and checked in with departure, ATC always asking to report ceiling and tops 🙂 . Sothe most accurate weather report is PIREP and most current wind report is magic phrase "wind check" on short final LOL

That's because we have to solicit pireps every hour when the weather is below a certain criteria.  At least here in the midwest, the pireps for bases and vis were very accurate to the atis.  Wind check just comes from the direct read in the tower, which comes from the asos/awos.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I don't get this shot, is this supposed to the improved AS shot? It looks like the clouds are sitting on the ground

They actually not, you perceive it like that because the cast shadow below.

Here is couple examples. Do the cloud touch the ground? No! But it seems like they do. Light and shadow often play tricks!

13124718_10208028125814502_5816139491883

IMG_4128.jpg?ex=6634d91a&is=6633879a&hm=

IMG_0924.jpg?ex=6634b510&is=66336390&hm=

Here is an example of clouds casting shadow

IMG_2315.jpg?ex=66348761&is=663335e1&hm=

So to my eye AS doesn't has a little edge over stock. But I'm not denying a lot of shortcomings as well