Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Why the difference in cost between S.AI and BeyondATC?

The direct answer to OP question in topic can be found on FAQ section for BATC and SayIntenstions:

BATC:

Is BeyondATC powered by AI?

We use the latest in AI technologies to process your voice, decide what the ATC should do, and generate highly realistic responses with AI voices. However, to keep the program affordable we do not use a LLM (Large Language Model) such as Gemini or ChatGPT.

SayIntensions:
How much does it cost? Why do you have to charge a subscription fee?

$29.95/mo or $295 for a year. However, the price of AI services drops every few months, and we will pass those savings on to you when it happens. Because we're using modern, cutting-edge AI services, neural networks, insanely authentic voices, and machine learning, costs are incurred every time you communicate with ATC.  

Any ATC service that offers their product for a one-time fee isn't using AI. Don't be fooled by claims to the contrary.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ark4diusz said:

The direct answer to OP question in topic can be found on FAQ section for BATC and SayIntenstions:

BATC:

Is BeyondATC powered by AI?

We use the latest in AI technologies to process your voice, decide what the ATC should do, and generate highly realistic responses with AI voices. However, to keep the program affordable we do not use a LLM (Large Language Model) such as Gemini or ChatGPT.

SayIntensions:
How much does it cost? Why do you have to charge a subscription fee?

$29.95/mo or $295 for a year. However, the price of AI services drops every few months, and we will pass those savings on to you when it happens. Because we're using modern, cutting-edge AI services, neural networks, insanely authentic voices, and machine learning, costs are incurred every time you communicate with ATC.  

Any ATC service that offers their product for a one-time fee isn't using AI. Don't be fooled by claims to the contrary.

Thanks for this information. From the reading I have done, it appears BeyondATC does use AI for the voices. But it's uncertain if BeyondATC uses AI for the ATC instructions part, whereas SayIntentions.AI is using ChatGPT (technically, I think it's GPT-4) for their ATC instructions part.

As many people have said, BeyondATC is using scripting for their ATC instructions part.  Whether it's pure scripting without AI at all, or they actually use AI in conjunction with their scripting, I am not certain. But it does explain why some of SayIntentions.AI's costs are higher, because they are using ChatGPT.

As for the voice emulation component, I would hope that SayIntentions.AI is using a cheap voice AI vendor, because BeyondATC was able to negotiate with their voice AI vendor, such that all Basic voices are free on BeyondATC.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

40 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

As many people have said, BeyondATC is using scripting for their ATC instructions part.  Whether it's pure scripting without AI at all, or they actually use AI in conjunction with their scripting, I am not certain. But it does explain why some of SayIntentions.AI's costs are higher, because they are using ChatGPT.

If you watch the video posted on page 1 it's very clear - BATC is not using any sort of AI for its "instructions", only for the voice component. The actual ATC part is entirely manually scripted like any previous ATC addon. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Noel said:

Enjoy, my query yesterday:

As I understand it, (and someone will correct me), LLM like Chat GPT aren't intended to be sources of knowledge and information but are rather intended to simulate discussion. The emphasis, as it has been explained to me, has been on the dialogue. "Feeling like you're talking to another person."

I'm not aware of any AI models that are specifically designed with the goal of being knowledgeable. Perhaps that will come next.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

31 minutes ago, WestAir said:

As I understand it, (and someone will correct me), LLM like Chat GPT aren't intended to be sources of knowledge and information but are rather intended to simulate discussion. The emphasis, as it has been explained to me, has been on the dialogue. "Feeling like you're talking to another person."

I'm not aware of any AI models that are specifically designed with the goal of being knowledgeable. Perhaps that will come next.

I use it all the time but as my simple example demonstrates you really have to take its output with a chunk of salt.  But it's useful for sure to get you in the ballpark.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Andrew2448 said:

If you watch the video posted on page 1 it's very clear - BATC is not using any sort of AI for its "instructions", only for the voice component. The actual ATC part is entirely manually scripted like any previous ATC addon. 

It uses AI for voice recognition, doesn't it?

56 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

It uses AI for voice recognition, doesn't it?

Yes, which is exactly what I said. AI for voice component, not for any of the actual ATC stuff.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

But it's uncertain if BeyondATC uses AI for the ATC instructions

It’s not uncertain at all. They use AI for the voices, but not the text

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

It’s not uncertain at all. They use AI for the voices, but not the text

That's a pretty good summary!

Sorry if this may have already been discussed but, I carefully read the Beyond ATC planned features, as well as the Say Intentions planned features...

Of particular interest to me is how other traffic is going to be introduced and handled in each program. BATC clearly states future integration of injected traffic AND controlling the traffic as well as of course the player. Say Intentions however, is not as clear about this (at least that I could find), although they do mention future planned traffic injection, no where does it say they will control the injected traffic (just multiplayer?) Am I totally missing something obvious, or does it seem SI has no plans to "control" the injected AI traffic?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KERNEL32 said:

Of particular interest to me is how other traffic is going to be introduced and handled in each program. BATC clearly states future integration of injected traffic AND controlling the traffic as well as of course the player. Say Intentions however, is not as clear about this (at least that I could find)

SI plans to control the injected traffic as well. I don’t know of BATC’s exact plans on this (but they did hire the FSLTL developer who has already worked to inject live traffic into the sim), but SI doesn’t currently intend to inject live traffic at all. Their current aim is to inject representative traffic (correct airlines etc but not the exact flights happening right now) and control both you and the other traffic.

However they’ve been known to modify their plans in the past after customer feedback, so it could be they take a more live-trafficky route if it’s clear that that is what the community actually wants (which would also be my preference)

• Like 1

Isn't real ATC kind of scripted too (= following a very strict and regulated communication scheme)?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fsiscool said:

Isn't real ATC kind of scripted too (= following a very strict and regulated communication scheme)?

Yes, specially when everything goes according to plan. I sometimes wonder why I am so interested in ATC software... it usually does what I expect it to do and when it doesn't it's usually due to bugs. If often feel I myself have to take ATC by the hand and lead it on so things indeed go according to plan. You might say because it adds to the immersion and that's true but after a while you get to know all the lines that ATC usually says and it becomes more and more obvious it's all fake. SI would or should be the exception to that... But BATC is very obviously 100% scripted which you specially notice when 'funny' things are being said, like when you ask for clearance when you aren't near the runway. It's funny to hear ATC shout at you at that time but when you have heard the EXACT same 'funny' line a few times it becomes a total immersion killer. I rather had BATC didn't say anything funny at all like FSHud. Sometimes (well, quite often) less is better.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fsiscool said:

I understand not everyone cares, but I'd want it to adapt to the situation you're in though when things don't go as planned. Like this flight of mine a couple of months back using a much earlier version of SI:

2 hours ago, fsiscool said:

Yes, there is a set of procedures and phraseology, but in the real world situations occur outside of this.  Products like BATC will struggle outside of its scripts.  SayIntentions will not. It will respond in a reasonable way to whatever you throw at it.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home