Jacoba

World told to brace for 'severe geomagnetic storm' today!

World told to brace for 'severe geomagnetic storm' today - the first in nearly 20 years

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13402759/Severe-solar-storm-watch-alert-NOAA.html

A rare and powerful solar storm may occur in outer space today which could wreak havoc on earth, officials have warned – the first in nearly 20 years if it happens.

At least five streams of plasma, known as coronal mass ejections (CMEs), are heading toward Earth, prompting the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to issue a severe geomagnetic storm watch for Friday into the weekend.

This is the first such alert aired since 2005 when Earth was hit with the highest dose of radiation in a half-century.

This time around, the 'unusual event' could disrupt electronic devices like GPS and parts of power grids, NOAA said – while citing how it may also drape a huge portion of the country, as far south as Alabama, in colorful natural lights.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Seeing the aurora now in the Midlands, UK

https://postimg.cc/gallery/9jwDfxNB

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

10 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Seeing the aurora now in the Midlands, UK

https://postimg.cc/gallery/9jwDfxNB

I used to live in the Midlands. I'll ask my son if he witnessed it.

I'm way too far south now to see it.

I went outside around 23:30 last night and looked up. It just so happened there were 3-4 teenagers outside at the same time. One showed me a photo taken on his phone and it clearly looked like the aurora. But this was directly overhead, not to the north as I would expect.

Manchester is 10 miles to my north which probably explains why I’ve never seen the aurora in 49 years I’ve lived here. Until last night… perhaps.

What I’m unsure about is whether it genuinely was the aurora since there was no colour to it. It could have just been very high thin cirrus as there was some around. Twenty mins later it has disappeared making me think it more likely to be cloud than the aurora.

But one thing remains. Why did the photos on this lad’s phone look so convincing when to the naked eye there was no colour?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I missed it last night, but the lady who cuts my hair (I had an appointment this morning) showed me some amazing photos of purple and green curtains of light. She says that it was almost as colourful to the naked eye. I am not very optimistic that it will return tonight, but I will try not to fall asleep this time!!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Apparently there WAS a good display all the way down here in Guernsey.

I'll nip out tonight, apparently might still be visible. 

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I went outside around 23:30 last night and looked up. It just so happened there were 3-4 teenagers outside at the same time. One showed me a photo taken on his phone and it clearly looked like the aurora. But this was directly overhead, not to the north as I would expect.

Manchester is 10 miles to my north which probably explains why I’ve never seen the aurora in 49 years I’ve lived here. Until last night… perhaps.

What I’m unsure about is whether it genuinely was the aurora since there was no colour to it. It could have just been very high thin cirrus as there was some around. Twenty mins later it has disappeared making me think it more likely to be cloud than the aurora.

But one thing remains. Why did the photos on this lad’s phone look so convincing when to the naked eye there was no colour?

I am South of Leicester by 15 miles and the colours were clearly visible to the naked eye.  The photos I took used 'night mode' which is a three second exposure, so colours are enhanced.

The first colours I detected were to the west! Bright red streak from overhead.  Strangely I saw no colours towards the northern horizon. Brightest radiated from overhead from the west, through to the north east, where there were green and purplish colours 

The best displays only lasted about 20 minutes.I live on a narrow boat, so I have good dark skies.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

From what I read, Ushuaia and NZ got a good Southern Lights show too.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

The photos taken from the flight deck with a iPhone always look much better than what you see with the naked eye.

I think it was last autumn there was a good display as we climbed out over Wales heading west on an evening departure, very unusual to see it so far south.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Phones have a nice way of adding vibrancy to these types of things. Been plenty of times where I could barely see them on the plane but through my phone, they look amazing. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

8 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Phones have a nice way of adding vibrancy to these types of things. Been plenty of times where I could barely see them on the plane but through my phone, they look amazing. 

You’re talking to a bloke who has been brought up with SLR cameras for 50 years. 1/4 sec at F2.8 is considered the limit for hand held shots. My experience with smartphones is limited. It was too late to get my Nikon DSLR and tripod out. 😉

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It was too late to get my Nikon DSLR and tripod out. 😉

Don’t be getting expensive gear out while there’s teenagers hanging around!

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

12 minutes ago, jon b said:

Don’t be getting expensive gear out while there’s teenagers hanging around!

They seemed a sensible bunch. 😉 I’m setup in my back garden tonight but easily moved to front if circumstances demand it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You’re talking to a bloke who has been brought up with SLR cameras for 50 years. 1/4 sec at F2.8 is considered the limit for hand held shots. My experience with smartphones is limited. It was too late to get my Nikon DSLR and tripod out. 😉

IMG-9719-1.jpg

Taken by my wife on Friday evening from our back garden - looking eastwards too - on her iphone....something or other. 

While she merely waved her phone in the right direction and pressed the button, I was hunting around for my tripod and putting a charged battery in my Canon DSLR.  By the time I got it all together the light show was over.:huh: