birdguy

A new phase of life...

Now that I am living in a retirement community I find myself withdrawing from the world more and more and being assimilated into this community more and more.  I call this place 'The Warehouse' as it is a warehouse for those of us in our 60s and 70s and 80s and 90s who are really escaping back to the generations we grew up in and are ignoring the current ones.  This is the perfect place to do that.

I still venture out on the internet but not so much anymore.  My posts are further and further apart as are my replies.  A lot of it is not caring so much about what goes on in politics or the world anymore.

We in the community are like pre-schoolers in a daycare center enjoying the entertainment available to us.  My house is gone.  My wife is gone so I have no one to care fore anymore.  Except for the rent I pay here I have no bills.  We watch TV and play games.  Four of us, two old ladies and two old men, play poker every Friday night for dimes.

Many of my wildlife photographs are hanging on the wall in the hall outside my apartment.  There is still room for a few more so every once in a while I'll frame a couple of new ones and one of the maintenance guys will hang them up for me.

They feed us three times a day in the dining room but we also have kitchenettes in our apartments so we can skip the dining room and prepare our own meals if we don't care for what's on the menu.

I have a nurse who comes in once a week to check my vitals and a physical therapist who makes sure I take my morning walk and do my simple exercises.

Luckily I can still drive and have my car so I don't have to take the community bus to go shopping once a week.  I still have that amount  freedom.

I'll still be around from time to time but I wont be a regular anymore as old interests are being replaced by new ones.

Noel

• Like 12

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I know the feeling Noel  About 45 minutes ago i said to myself, time to venture out.. So i went and bought a burger  It felt so good to leave because i go for days at a time without leaving the house,

• Like 4

Noel, don't withdraw too much. You still have a lot to offer and being around people will keep you sharp. It's true that our world has seen a lot of change and not all of it has been good. The next generation will have the same experience. They will in essence become us. It is a loop in humanity that will exist forever. All the best.

Bill W.

God bless you Noel. It's never too late to boom and zoom!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Sounds like you're really getting into the groove at "The Warehouse"! From poker nights to your wildlife photography, you've got some sweet setups there. It's cool to hear how you're finding new ways to enjoy life

Good luck Noel, Sir, Pal.

I really enjoy reading each and every post from you,

Noel, don't become a stranger - please!

Phil

• Upvote 1

Don't stop sharing with us Birdguy. Many here enjoy your post too much. Keep em coming!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

Hi Noel,

the Avsim community still needs your input as a voice of reason and experience. Please keep posting!

Peter

• Like 2

Hey Vic: We haven't heard from Father  Bill i' emailed him with no response.
The area where he lives has been battered with storms, and tornadoes. I hope he is ok..These guys are part of the glue that keeps our Avsim family together..

1 hour ago, Paul Deluca said:

The area where he lives has been battered with storms, and tornadoes. I hope he is ok..These guys are part of the glue that keeps our Avsim family together..

I'm sorry but wrong Vic maybe?

Vic green

Posted (edited)

Sorry  !!!!!!!  The message  was  for Vic Green.

Edited by Paul Deluca

36 minutes ago, Paul Deluca said:

Sorry  !!!!!!!  The message  was  for Vic Green.

I’m Vic Green but I’m afraid I’m kind of lost here. Who is Father Bill?

Vic green

4 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

I’m Vic Green but I’m afraid I’m kind of lost here. Who is Father Bill?

I believe he's talking about Bill Leaming?

As for multiple Vic's I think vgbaron is the other Vic here, one of the moderators.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Posted (edited)

You are correct Rhett.   I am talking about Bill  Leaming .  For Vic Green   : Bill goes under n4gix in the forum. He is a catholic priest and aviator. Sorry for not explaining myself.   A bunch of folks know him as Father Bill.

Edited by Paul Deluca
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Deluca said:

I PM'd Bill the next day after I saw it on the news!

Bill's reply to my PM:

Thanks, Charlie! Yes, I'm still kicking. None of those darn twisters even came close to where I live, thank goodness! From what I noticed this morning is that the condos along Lake Hamilton were the ones to suffer from de-roofing and defenestration for the most part. It rained most of the night, but it didn't keep me awake. This little house is very sound proof! 😁

•  
  • Like 2

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: