Sign in to follow this  
Dermot McClusky

Random computer shutdowns at high load

I built a new PC in January 2024 w/ the following components: 1000W Superflower PSU, ASrock Steel Legend X670E motherboard, 64 GB G.Trident RAM, AMD 78003xd (w/ Peerless Assassin cooler), PNY RTX 4090 in a Fractal Torrent case (high airflow). When flying VR (Quest3) my PC will randomly shut down, and I mean completely power down in an instant (no lights, no fans, no reboot...nada). This has been repeatable in particularly high-intensity places, such as flying down the Las Vegas Strip at night when my FPS starts struggling, though it also happens at times when I'm doing something simple like sitting in the cockpit of a BAE 146 at a gate of a not-very-busy airport (I keep traffic low). My graphics settings are all appropriate when compared w/ others I've seen posted online and I get a steady 40-45 fps the majority of time flying, with the exception of places like the Vegas strip, as noted above. 

Problems I've ruled out:
1. Overheating: I've recorded multiple sessions on HWmonitor and my temps across the board (Mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.) are fine with the exception of 2-3 spikes on my CPU to 89-90C (but these are short-lived and within tolerance for the CPU; most of the time is in the 70's). 

2. PSU failure: I've swapped out the PSU, even going WAY overkill to a 1200W unit and the problem persists

3. RAM: I swapped my RAM out and still had the same issue

4. Drivers: GPU, CPU, mobo drivers are all up to date

My next steps would be swapping out the motherboard, then the CPU, then finally the GPU, which would represent essentially a totally new build except the case. For obvious reasons I'd REALLY like to avoid this kind of cost, but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas I might be overlooking??

Thanks in advance. 

GPU would be my next suspect since you already swapped Ram, PSU. Maybe a GPU issue.  OCCT really tests the CPU and memory, but I don't think it really stresses the GPU that much.

Try 3Dmark or FurMark.  

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Maybe it's only related to Quest3; I'm speculating based on your statement. How is it without? Also, it might show something in the event viewer. Microcenter or other computer store for less than $60 will give you a detailed summary. 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

First, make sure that your power cord is firmly seated, both at the wall and at the PSU.  I had a problem like this long ago and (embarassingly) it turned out the power connector was loose.

You swapped out the PSU--did you also swap out, or at least re-seat the cables to the mobo and GPU (again, both ends of each one)?

A complete and sudden uncommanded shutdown like you describe is usually a power delivery problem--either the PSU, the power cables/connectors, or the VRMs and associated circuitry on the motherboard. 

Also, if you're using a power strip/surge protector with a self-resetting fuse (e.g a PPTC or polyfuse), make sure that's not overloading and tripping on you.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, rickjake said:

GPU would be my next suspect. Try 3Dmark or FurMark.  

Good idea, I'll try a stress test and see what happens. 

50 minutes ago, LRBS said:

Maybe it's only related to Quest3; I'm speculating based on your statement. How is it without? Also, it might show something in the event viewer. Microcenter or other computer store for less than $60 will give you a detailed summary. 

Hm, maybe so. I played w/o VR for the first 4-5 months without any problems. I can't find anything online for people have similar issues that have been pinpointed to the Quest3, but that certainly doesn't rule it out completely. I hadn't really thought of taking it somewhere for diagnostics, so that might be a good thing to look into.

13 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

did you also swap out, or at least re-seat the cables to the mobo and GPU (again, both ends of each one)?

A complete and sudden uncommanded shutdown like you describe is usually a power delivery problem--either the PSU, the power cables/connectors, or the VRMs and associated circuitry on the motherboard. 

When I swapped out the PSU and swapped out the cables, as well, being careful to seat everything well. I've checked the power cable and it's also seated well. I'm kind of wondering now if there's possibly an issue w/ the power strip or outlet? Obviously it's a long shot, but your comment makes me think I should try looking at those first as I could replace them inexpensively and at least see if that changes anything. 

Thank you everyone so far for your thoughts!

1 hour ago, LRBS said:

How is it without? 

Just tested it without; flew the same aircraft through the Vegas strip at ultra settings and it was super smooth without any issues at all. So clearly it's a VR problem, but that could mean the Quest or it could mean issues w/ the hardware in my PC just crapping out on me because of the demands of VR.

2 hours ago, Dermot McClusky said:

Just tested it without

I would start by checking the connection settings, especially the software interface. Since you mentioned that you aren't hearing any PC fan noises, it's unlikely that the computer is shutting down due to high temperatures. I believe you can connect in two different modes, either via Q link or cable. This should help you pinpoint where the issue is coming from. However, if the problem still persists beyond this point, I'm sorry, but I won't be able to help.

Silly question but have you checked "Event Viewer" for clues ?  I personally had a crazy issue that would make my screens go black and my GPU fans spin 100% and the only way to recover was to power off/on.  Turned out my power cord to the GPU was not sitting properly and after re-seating it and the card the issue went away.  

3 minutes ago, Tony P said:

Silly question but have you checked "Event Viewer" for clues ?  

He didn't answer that question. 

2 hours ago, Tony P said:

Silly question but have you checked "Event Viewer" for clues ?  I personally had a crazy issue that would make my screens go black and my GPU fans spin 100% and the only way to recover was to power off/on.  Turned out my power cord to the GPU was not sitting properly and after re-seating it and the card the issue went away. 

I have on previous shut-downs, but all I get is an error message saying my computer shut down improperly, nothing else. I should go check them again in case of any changes, I suppose, but that was all I saw previously. I've actually undone and re-seated all of my cables to everything when I changed out my PSU, so I don't think it's a cable issue (I wish it was!). 

8 hours ago, LRBS said:

I would start by checking the connection settings, especially the software interface. Since you mentioned that you aren't hearing any PC fan noises, it's unlikely that the computer is shutting down due to high temperatures. I believe you can connect in two different modes, either via Q link or cable. This should help you pinpoint where the issue is coming from. However, if the problem still persists beyond this point, I'm sorry, but I won't be able to help.

I'm actually connecting via virtual desktop; the VR set isn't hardwired to the PC at all as I have my charging cable plugged into a powerstrip from the wall. I've tried the link cable previously but had a terrible experience, but virtual desktop has seemed to work almost flawlessly. I agree with you, heat is not the issue. I've stress tested the system components as well as recorded/monitored all components during my flights and had no issues at all w/ overheating. I'm at a complete loss as to what's going on.

13 hours ago, rickjake said:

Try 3Dmark or FurMark.  

I appreciate the suggestion. I did do a stress test on my GPU last night; ran at 90%+ usage the entire time and didn't break a sweat (highest temp was 61C, but stayed in the 50's most of the time). Passed with flying colors. 

16 minutes ago, Dermot McClusky said:

I appreciate the suggestion. I did do a stress test on my GPU last night; ran at 90%+ usage the entire time and didn't break a sweat (highest temp was 61C, but stayed in the 50's most of the time). Passed with flying colors. 

I wanted to share the following with you. My friend had some issues with his VR setup. He found that using a virtual desktop resulted in unsatisfactory performance compared to using cables. However, he was able to solve the problem by contacting the manufacturer after 4 attempts. I suggest you don't give up and contact them for help. After all, you paid for this unit. I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Do you have CPUID HWMonitor, you can run this in the sim and it will tell you all you need to know, temps CPU Load for each core MB and GPU and power watts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/51945980181/in/dateposted-public

PS I have it pinned to my taskbar when in the sim I switch to window mod start the monitor. this may pause the sim but hit P and it will run in the foreground telling you everything you need to know. If something is getting hot you will see It.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Do you have CPUID HWMonitor, you can run this in the sim and it will tell you all you need to know, temps CPU Load for each core MB and GPU and power watts.

I do, I've run it and recorded multiple sessions while I fly to see if anything is overheating; (un)fortunately, everything looks great. All of my components seem to be running at spec. Overheating hasn't been an issue at all. I know random shut downs tend to point to either a) overheating components or b) a bad PSU, but I've been able to rule those both out at this point.