Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel42

Anyone know if the ACES team plans to fix FSX?

I posted extensive detail on why the delay. You either take me at my word, which has been consistent since I started engaging the community; or not.

It seems there are still a few of us folks with the infamous NvIdia late 7x to early 8x cards that are still having issues despite the latest drivers. Either we have to upgrade to newer 8x cards, with the appropriate power supply and mother board, or stick with SP1 that will eventually hold us back now that more and more developers (both freeware and payware) are desining for SP2, or stick with FS9. Unless Nvidia can figure out what the issue is with these cards and give us a driver that will work...but, it would seem to me that they've got bigger fish to fry then to mess with the few that have this issue.Oh well...FS11 is only a year or so away ;-)

>It seems there are still a few of us folks with the infamous>NvIdia late 7x to early 8x cards that are still having issues>despite the latest drivers. Either we have to upgrade to>newer 8x cards, with the appropriate power supply and mother>board, or stick with SP1 that will eventually hold us back now>that more and more developers (both freeware and payware) are>desining for SP2, or stick with FS9. Unless Nvidia can figure>out what the issue is with these cards and give us a driver>that will work...but, it would seem to me that they've got>bigger fish to fry then to mess with the few that have this>issue.>>Oh well...FS11 is only a year or so away ;-)I have one of the first eVGA 8800 GTX cards. I don't have menu freezes.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I do not believe there has been any communication about FS11 schedules, so that comment is way premature and thus of questionable accuracy.

Ah, well, he's just wishfull thinking... ;) I'd already be happy if communication about FS11 schedules itself would start within a year or so...! ;)BTW I haven't had problems with the menu ever since SP1. Before that I couldn't touch it without having to wait literally a few minutes before the menu item I clicked on would show. If it ever would... Since SP1, and also with SP2, the menu is quick and smooth and just how it should be with my 8800GTX (using Vista 32 bits).

Dear Phil and the rest of the Avsim community,In no way was I trying to lead anyone on with my comment of FS11; it was just wishful thinking hence the wink!I didn't mean to make any kind of assumptions, as we all know what the work "assume" means!Sincerelly,Ken LeMayEagle Mountain, UT

>It also might be particular nvidia cards as I never had this>problem with a 7600gt and I don't with my present 8800.>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>Yup, have to agree. I have yet to have a menu freeze with my nVidia 8800GTX... I followed David Roch's SP2 install guide and all is good with my FSX installation.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Dear Phil,Please, please, explain to the flight simulation community in simple, straight-forward, no beating about the bush or 'avoiding the question' terms how the SP2 menu CTD issue can possibly be Nvidia's fault, when using the very same driver with SP1 works flawlessly and with SP2 it doesn't.And then extend us the courtesy of explaining in equally simplistic terms why if MS, ACES or you personally are not going to issue a further SP fix, that you can't at least help Nvidia to rectify the problem in a new driver release so that we can all get off your case and you can go back to planning FSXI in peace.Would the above really be that difficult for the corporate behemoth that is Microsoft to achieve?Vox

I wont comment on the tone here except to say I think it is unhelpful to friendly discussion.If a piece of software universally crashed under a circumstance ( like accessing the menu ), that would clearly be the software's fault.The fact that this issue seems to be largely constrained to a single series of hardware from a single vendor is clearly a data point. The fact that the "other guys" hw doesnt suffer from this issue is another data point and one that points to a driver/hw issue. That certainly doesn't guarantee that it is a driver/hw issue, but using Occam's razor that is the most likely answer as it is the simplest answer that explains the problem. I also do not recall this being an issue on the beta.I have had communication with nVidia on this issue, and pointed them to this very forum. I have also pointed people here to the nVidia forums. How many people have gone to the nVidia forums and provided feedback, to take some personal responsibility for being in the loop and driving the issue? The voices of the many mean more than the voices of the one. Really.At some point, this is a driver level investigation that I am not qualified to help with. So beyond making a connection between the issue and the contacts at nVidia I think you misunderstand my role.Lastly, Aces is a big group. Just because I do the most public communication at this time that doesn't translate to everything is my personal responsibility. I'd appreciate that if people kept that in mind.

I'm running a nvidia 7950 GX2 and have no problems with menu freezing in full screen or windows mode. Using tweakforce 163.71 beta drivers. I did in the beginning have to rma the card because of faulty memory - I wonder if all the problem cards might somehow be related to faulty memory? Just a thought

I don't know if this will help any of you but it certainly fixed my menu issues. My system is nothing more than an AMD X2 4200, 2 GB RAM, & and 8600GT video card. I'm running FSX with Acceleration & UTX on XP in DX9 mode. I was getting the menu crashes in full screen mode like many others have been. I was also having shimmering issues and last night came across this thread in the hardware forum about shimmering.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=33939&page=2I applied the suggested setting by "sagreski" (thank you for those setting BTW, sargeski) in that thread and it surely helped the shimmering isuue but also, for reasons not know to me, fixed my fulll screen menu crashes. I suspect that it had something to do with this line that sagreski posted that I was unaware of: "4) Now choose the global setting for nhancer (upper right hand corner) and set the following:a. Enabel Antialiasing, check supersampling, and set to 8xS, check enhance in game setting, check gamma correction, check super- transparency AA. You must make this setting globally also to get 8xS supersampling to work in FSX with the latest Nvidia drivers."Based on that statement that you have to set both the profile & the global setting to get AA to work in FSX, I suspect that the driver is not communicating properly with FSX and that's the reason for the crashes. I'm not a techie so this is just a guess on my part. Try the settings sargeski suggest (most important I believe is setting the "global setting also" & see if that doesn't solve the full screen menu crashes for some of you.HTHJim

Guest fsxmissionguy

There's absolutely no question that Phil is correct on the proper method of troubleshooting this issue. My casual observation of the menu CTD issue led me to these two facts (but please, if these are wrong, let me know):1) Only nVidia 8800 users are affected2) Not all nVidia 8800 users are affectedThat very clearly implicates the driver as a cause worthy of investigation by the individuals affected. It may (less likely) be a quality control issue on the hardware itself.Peeking at nVidia's support forums, it is painfully obvious that the many versions of the 8800 driver set have been implicated in a whole series of issues in several DX10 games (there aren't that many DX10 games to begin with).I have, however, been very pleased with the nVidia 7950 GX2 (a DX9 card). It works fantastically with FSX, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Hope until the cows come home and it still won't happen.SP2 is a free download. Use it. I'm running Nvidea 8800 GT on Vista 32 and FSX/SP2 and have never had a menu crash.Why blame a hardware/driver issue on an application like FSX?We've seen this sad scenario many times where folks refuse to acknowledge that their system is not optimized and software is blamed instead:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>>I also have the menu freeze problem and it is very>>frustrating and is obviously a major problem for the ACES>team>>to get sorted.>>The "menu freeze" problem is caused by crappy nVidia driver>support and has absolutely nothing to do with FSX or>ACES. Period.>>Absolutely no one using an ATI video card has EVER>reported a "menu freeze" problem.>>Quod Erat Demonstrandum...>This seems to be a recurring theme with developers lately. Cause a problem that didn't exist before, then blame it on something external, like video drivers. Yes a new driver may fix or get around the problem but the problem originated with something they changed.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d