Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

FEX Update is Released !!

Fantastic work!Kudos to Peter and Chris.:-beerchug

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

It really is something to see 4096x4096 cloud textures in the sim with basically no performance hit.Bravo!

The magic makers have done it again. Hi-Def photorealistic clouds at 4096 resolution with ABSOLUTELY no performance hit??? If I didn't see it for myself, I'd not believe a single word of it, but it is true.The new Hi-def pack is simply beyond words, and takes FSX to an absolutely new level.Simply stunning.Mike T.

Guest JIMJAM

Water is what is causing me the most confusion.Ive got UTX which has various water textures.I have FEX which has various water options.I have X graphics which has water.Trying to get the ocean,lets say the Atlantic to not look like Hawaii but have your rivers and lakes looking realistic is hard.I hate having bright blue lakes and rivers but do not want them dark brown either.Take Charleston SC for example. You can go miles and miles inland and still have the ocean textures.I can underand though how impossible it must be to be able to define that line where the ocean ends and the river/lakes/streams begin.With so many options some being very specific to a certain area,I think you need to change the settings around to fit the specific area you are in.Finding a one size fits all for the clouds is easy but water is difficult.I am hoping the upcoming weather program has a feature that can change the clouds and sky according to the actual weather.

Guest danny68

Yeah I agree...I got the the update finally.... Big download.Very impressed.It would be great to see the weather engine produce the right look. Just thinking here. I know the water can make water for a specific area in FEX by making a theme.It would be good if they do some new cool things with water in the next update. I like some of the previews they are showing. new clouds are way cool.Great job.

Guest Nick_N

Just so everyone is awareIf you enter the FSX settings and make ANY changes at all, the MAX res will revert to 1024 from 4096 which means you are not seeing the 4096 textures. [GRAPHICS]TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096If it says 1024 you are not using the larger bitmap resThis is the same issue that plauges those who increase the size of LOD_RADIUS=x past 4.5000 and then make any change to settingshttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=26931

Guest danny68

I've installed lots of clouds and played with a lot of dispay settings.I checked it several times now and TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 on my rig.I'm not seeing a performance hit. Just seeing great looking clouds.I was just thinking.It maybe something to do with the options setting on FEX. It has to be set to 4096 textures but can be set to much lower. Maybe that sets the cfg?

Definitely, Jim, especially for someone like me, who when landing a complex plane at a busy airport, routinely reduces the AI traffic before the approach to improve control on landing. I may have to limit the high-def clouds to GA flights, or else forego much of my AI. But the clouds sure are nice.Robert

Guest RonB49

>Definitely, Jim, especially for someone like me, who when>landing a complex plane at a busy airport, routinely reduces>the AI traffic before the approach to improve control on>landing. I may have to limit the high-def clouds to GA>flights, or else forego much of my AI. But the clouds sure are>nice.>>RobertOr use FSUIPC to set a keyboard shortcut or joystick button to toggle AI traffic off/on. R-