Sign in to follow this  
Guest hmstiger

Notice to developers: no 2D cockpit - no sale to me...

I just saw that a Caravelle freeware airplane is generously being offered by the AFG folks, and it prompted me to let the payware add-on community know that, as a fella that has historically spent waaaay too much $ on FS addons over the last several years, I will *not* be purchasing any aircraft that do not have 2D panels - ever.I say this because Microsoft seems to think that no-one cares about 2D cockpits anymore, and I'm here to say, "I do". I was extremely disappointed to see the Acceleration add-on aircraft have only 3D cockpits... I was initially looking forward to the EH-101 helicopter, but after realizing it's 3D-only, I've probably spent less than an hour in it vs. many many hours in the Bell 206. This is because I use a multi-monitor/computer setup for my "simulator", and this does not lend itself to a pure 3D cockpit for any number of reasons.This is just one guy's stance, but I'm hoping that my vote will be considered by the add-on developers when they're trying to figure out what to support.cheers,Dave B.San Jose, CA

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

I don't disagree with you, but I'm just the opposite.With my TripleHead2Go setup, I won't download and/or purchase an aircraft WITHOUT a Virtual 3D cockpit. 2D ones don't span correctly (most of the time) across a 3840 x 1024 3-wide display. So I guess it all depends on the hardware you are using as to what your preferences are.

Rick Ryan

While I agreed that the Caravelle would be just fine with it's 2D panel only, I can't think of any reason for panels such as those from RealAir to have a 2D varient. RealAir has gone 3D only with their GA size aircraft, and they are as crisp and fluid with the instruments as it gets. Perhaps the different views with the A key lends itself to multi-monitors? I don't know. But other than that, I could care less about 2D's for panels smaller than those found in airliner cockpits.L.Adamson

Guest harleyman52

I like 2D and 3d panels...What I hate is the views in FSX.....Even in 2D panel your views are obstructed with cockpit and wings..No up...Down.. Like in FS9...I spend lots of money to be able to have nice scenery to fly in,and you can't see it most of the time... Its very annoying to me to HAVE to keep swithcing views to see something...... Why not drop the views in 2D mode for us and keep them in 3D mode for those who want more realistic flight experience..But MS forcing us to have obstructed views is a farct IMO.....And I don't like that about FSX at all and is a real turn off for me....I loved in FS9 to be able in 2D mode to just use my hat switxh for looking all around....Not anymore......

Guest fsxmissionguy

Dave,Would you pay extra to get a 2D cockpit?Say for example that the default add-on ONLY came with a 3D cockpit ... but also had a version that was 25% more money that came with a 2D cockpit also.Would you then purchase and pay the extra money for your specialized cockpit?

Guest UlfB

Dave B,I agree, sort of. I prefer 2D-panels when I fly the airliners (PMDG 747, feelThere Embraer 170, Flight1 ATR-72-500). But when flying VFR with general aircraft I prefer the VC, which is very nice with TrackIR.If airliners should only have a VC, I still would need popup panels, which enables me to have the FMC and pedestal on my second monitor. Ulf B

I like both, but the reality is that the VC cockpits in FSX have poorer FPS than their 2D counterparts. Something to remember when taxiing around those busy airports.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Guest JIMJAM

I am a VC only pilot unless I am forced or its just to difficult and time consuming to get to the switches.That said.....When are they ever going to get the LANDING LIGHTS figured out?Whats the deal? Is it a FS problems?1/2 of my planes the landing lights are really just a novelty.Same with the cockpit instrumentation.For most its all or nothing and some seem tied in with the time of dusk at which they come on.Another peeve. Window SHADOWS:-mad Yeah Yeah it was cool for a while but now its just plain annoying.I bought the Alphasim B-25 and while flying at night, you have this riduculous reflection of a empty seat staring at you. Some addon reflections are so strong you cannot see outside.And Pleeeeeeeze. No more jet pilot helmet and mask reflection!Dont get me started on the external nature sounds:-grr I am doing a flyby at Aerosofts Dillingham in one of the loudest,ear piercing,4 engine,gut rattling C-130s and what do I hear?A freakin bird chirping! Or how about sittin in a CH53 helicopter that you can hear for a mile and you can hear the waves lapping at the shore.Ok, ok, Coffees kicking in and I am ranting.No more shadows,external enviromental sounds or at least make them optional.2d cockpits.....Well I guess the airline guys need them but most GA,helis and smaller planes can get away with out em if the vc is done right.

Guest harleyman52

So I take it you feel the birds being heard over the Roaring C-130 is unrealstic??????? LOL

Guest RonB49

>Perhaps the different views with the A key lends itself to multi-monitors?Exactly why I use 2D. R-EDIT to add -- Oh, the first thing that I did when I got Acceleration was build myself a 2D panel for the Hornet. R-

Guest harleyman52

>Dave,>>Would you pay extra to get a 2D cockpit?>>Say for example that the default add-on ONLY came with a 3D>cockpit ... but also had a version that was 25% more money>that came with a 2D cockpit also.>>Would you then purchase and pay the extra money for your>specialized cockpit?You bet I would if it had no wing /interior details included

Hmm interesting topic. I feel that the 2d panel is on the way out. It takes some of the realism out of it a bit, and sometimes they don't match very well with the VC. I use it sometimes, and I have no problem with keeping the 2d panel if others use it as a matter of necessity. When I use a track IR and a VC, to me, there is nothing better. However, there are still a lot of addons where the text is still so hard to read that the 2d panels are a nice option to have. I suppose if they all can be done like RealAir has done, I would not need a 2d panel at all.

I have to say I find the window reflections annoying at the best of times. I would like the option to turn them off.

Guest fsxmissionguy

I hope the add-on developers are paying attention.Some people will pay extra for 2D panels if you build them ... but most people want VCs from here on out.Which is nice, because we know it costs extra to create 2D panels ... so, the solution is natural. Charge extra for them.You win (you got extra revenue for something that before was producing no extra revenue).I win (I paid less for the VC only version).Dave wins (he got his 2D panel.)Cheers,

Guest fsxmissionguy

Glenn,But you CAN turn them off - very easily.Exit FSX and use Windows Explorer to look in your simobjects/specificaircraft/texture folder. Look for a .dds file with the word "reflection" in it.Change the extension .dds to .bak.Voila, you just turned off the cockpit windshield reflection for that aircraft. To turn it back on, rename the file back to .ddsCheers,