Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Big News from PC Aviator??

Anyone who has seen the Concordes sad excuse for flight planning/direction realizes what hunk of crap that plane really is. ;)
What an extraordinary statement :( I think you must be taking the mickey :( Cheers,

What an extraordinary statement :( I think you must be taking the mickey :(
Maybe he is an ex Concorde pilot since he uses very technical terms such as "flight planning/direction". Oh wait, now I'm taking the mickey! :)

Matthew S

Yeah, I really hope its not a plane. I was hoping for some type of global type scenery enhancement that is really outstanding. Or something like G2XPL Beta 4.62 for X-Plane. Alhough FS9/FSX has map2bgl and file proxy, a tool like G2XPL that doesn't require extensive setup would be nice. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Of course this new "big thing" may have nothing to do with software or hardware.
Just what I need for Flight Simulator...as mentioned earlier....More Ginsu Steak Knives. Even if they are personalized with a laser-embedded rendition of my AVSIM User Account ID on the handles.... :(

Rick Ryan

Just what I need for Flight Simulator...as mentioned earlier....More Ginsu Steak Knives. Even if they are personalized with a laser-embedded rendition of my AVSIM User Account ID on the handles.... :(
LOL!!! It might be some sort of online club.

LOL!!! It might be some sort of online club.
Well we had the ability with Fly years ago and the imaginative people that created Terrascene to generate high detail area for any area of the US. It was great-you started it-went to bed (it took many hours) and woke up to some of the most amazing scenery-not only for its time but still for now.We know we can get it thru Tileproxy but that of course has internet live streaming issues, we can get it thru Bluesky, Frank, and Megascenery presently for local areas.Seems to me the time is ripe (especially with the new google/yahoo/microsoft services having views down to the street level) for a utility that can generate such local scenery worldwide for the end user that will be permanent-in the same way Terrascene did it for Fly.To me that would be a revolution, is a utility that is sorely needed, and I still hold out hopes that something like that is what this is about.

Well we had the ability with Fly years ago and the imaginative people that created Terrascene to generate high detail area for any area of the US. It was great-you started it-went to bed (it took many hours) and woke up to some of the most amazing scenery-not only for its time but still for now.We know we can get it thru Tileproxy but that of course has internet live streaming issues, we can get it thru Bluesky, Frank, and Megascenery presently for local areas.Seems to me the time is ripe (especially with the new google/yahoo/microsoft services having views down to the street level) for a utility that can generate such local scenery worldwide for the end user that will be permanent-in the same way Terrascene did it for Fly.To me that would be a revolution, is a utility that is sorely needed, and I still hold out hopes that something like that is what this is about.
Exactly. This is what I am sorely hoping for. Just wish they would get on with it and make the announcement.

It's a very high quality FSX Concorde with better VC, external model, audio and systems than anything ever released by PMDG, LDS, Coolsky etc.
Maybe not the big news everyone is talking about, but you're right about the quality of our new Concorde for FSX :(

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Just wish they would get on with it and make the announcement.
Maybe they were hoping we would forget for the moment. :(

Well we had the ability with Fly years ago and the imaginative people that created Terrascene to generate high detail area for any area of the US. It was great-you started it-went to bed (it took many hours) and woke up to some of the most amazing scenery-not only for its time but still for now. We know we can get it thru Tileproxy but that of course has internet live streaming issues, we can get it thru Bluesky, Frank, and Megascenery presently for local areas.Seems to me the time is ripe (especially with the new google/yahoo/microsoft services having views down to the street level) for a utility that can generate such local scenery worldwide for the end user that will be permanent-in the same way Terrascene did it for Fly.To me that would be a revolution, is a utility that is sorely needed, and I still hold out hopes that something like that is what this is about.
Over a year ago I developed a freeware tool called FSX Photoscene but never publicly released it out of fear of being sued by Google or Microsoft. Maybe there is a lawyer who is a flightsim enthusiast who frequents these boards and is interested in this tool being made public. Maybe he could ask Google/Microsoft if such a freeware tool could be made publicly available?The way FSX Photoscene works is that you create a polygon using Google Earth of the area you are interested in, save it as a KML file, then run FSX Photoscene which builds the photo tiles for the area covered by the polygon. It supports multiple LOD, multiple polygons, customizable tile sizes, and a multi-threaded downloader. Its smart enough to know areas that you've already built photoscenery for and so will not try to rebuild the same areas, this allows you to continually extend your photoscenery coverage over time. It's great fun and I hope one day I can make it available to the FS community if I was to even get permission from Google/Microsoft. But you never know, maybe FS11 will include this capability out of the box.

Matthew S

Over a year ago I developed a freeware tool called FSX Photoscene but never publicly released it out of fear of being sued by Google or Microsoft. Maybe there is a lawyer who is a flightsim enthusiast who frequents these boards and is interested in this tool being made public. Maybe he could ask Google/Microsoft if such a freeware tool could be made publicly available?The way FSX Photoscene works is that you create a polygon using Google Earth of the area you are interested in, save it as a KML file, then run FSX Photoscene which builds the photo tiles for the area covered by the polygon. It supports multiple LOD, multiple polygons, customizable tile sizes, and a multi-threaded downloader. Its smart enough to know areas that you've already built photoscenery for and so can will not try to rebuild the same areas, this allows you to continually extend your photoscenery coverage over time. It's great fun and I hope one day I can make it available to the FS community if I was to even get permission from Google/Microsoft. But you never know, maybe FS11 will include this capability out of the box.
Wow-that sounds great! It is too bad liability gets in the way of so many things now days. I hope you can release it some time.

Agreed. But I envision something like that being a recurring subscrition service type of addon. Something along the lines of FS Live Traffic.Reason? There are two "outcomes" you could have with this type of product.1. The ability to do a "one-time" download of the service provider's data (Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, etc), then convert them to permanant scenery files for your computer. The initial download would still require a lot of bandwidth, and your end result would be an "unchanging" scenery file presentation, the same as purchasing say a MegaScenery product now. It's a "snapshot" picture of what the area looked like in the past.2. A "real-time" online interface that uses the most current map data available updated by the service provider. Conversion of the data occurs as you fly in FS. This would require much more bandwidth capability by the service provider, as every time you used the service, you were online with them downloading their data. But it would provide relatively "up to date" scenery renditions of the areas you were flying in. This would almost have to be a subscription service type of fee, or maybe even a "pay per view" one like the cable companies use for movies. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect to have to pay repeatedly for repeated use of the bandwidth over time.FalconAFEDIT: I just thought of a third possibility. What if a "service provider" could STORE photoreal scenery files on a server farm, then let you CONNECT to that server farm and use those scenery files in real time? The concept is somewhat the same as the online flying services available now...VATSIM, IVAO, etc. I don't know the technical aspects of being able to do this right now...I'd have to think more about it. But if it could be done that way, it WOULD be one of the most extraordinary advances in the history of flight simulation.

Rick Ryan