Sign in to follow this  
cat

How is FSX

HelloI am thinking of going into FSX. I use FS2004 at the moment and am happy with it. I tried the FSX demo, found it OK, better picture, but nothing else.I have used 3DMARK6 free version with 1280 x 800 output, the best score I get is 15550In the demo FSX I got frame rates flying in the carb. island between 60 and 12 fps. (low as you land) I INSTALLED IT ON A USB STICK!!In FS2004 I get 50 - 60 with add-on aircraft as well except LDS 767 which reduces to 30-40.Is there any real benefit in buying FSX?krishanPS/My specsGigabyte EP45-DS4E8500 (dynamically overclocked a little by MB BIOS)XFX 898MB 260GTX2G RAM 800MHz 6400Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB 32MAntec P182Corsair HX620

There seems to be a real division between those who love FSX and those who are sticking with FS9. Both sides tend to get the vocal proponents. I have always considered myself a moderate. I tend not to be that vocal. FSX requires a commitment to hardware and is CPU dependent. I upgraded this year and I think FSX is a great advancement and is a very sound progression in technology. I have many addons that transform the sim into something spectacular. I believe that the flight dynamics, visuals, weather are all improved. If your computer can handle it then I would say make the jump. If not I think you will experience some frustration with performance. Respectfully my opinion,

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest jshyluk

I second that. For me, apart from the improvements in the virtual environment (which are many and in some cases a large improvement), the biggest draw to FSX are the Missions, which are a lot of fun. Many people also say that they prefer FSX for low-and-slow GA flying and FS9 for flying airliners. I'd also agree with that, at least to a point.Finally, FSX has the Acceleration add-on which I like a lot.There is no rule that says that you cannot have both sims on your computer at the same time. Quite a number of people do that, so I would never suggest that it's a case of one over the other when you can have both.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

>There seems to be a real division between those who love FSX>and those who are sticking with FS9. Both sides tend to get>the vocal proponents. I have always considered myself a>moderate. I tend not to be that vocal. FSX requires a>commitment to hardware and is CPU dependent. I upgraded this>year and I think FSX is a great advancement and is a very>sound progression in technology. I have many addons that>transform the sim into something spectacular. I believe that>the flight dynamics, visuals, weather are all improved. If>your computer can handle it then I would say make the jump. If>not I think you will experience some frustration with>performance. I agree with Mike K.'s sentiments regarding FSX. It is nothing short of spectacular with a few key add-ons. However even without the addons its an awesome simulation.

What everyone else said, plus I might add that with your hardware you shouldn't have any problems with FSX.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Someone already "seconded" the comment about having the right hardware to run FSX enjoyably. I "third" that comment. I absolutely cannot imagine using FS2004 anymore. FSX is so excellent in many respects. Even if the frames record lower in FSX, the smoothness of the sim is far better. The eye candy, the models, the scenery and the ability to switch to DX10 are state of the art. I'm in the technology business in real life. If you want to play, you have to pay. If you are not willing to do that...that's OK. You have the right to lag behind the technology curve. I see it every day! Those businesses that take advantage of new technology in my business are ahead of the curve and tend to be more progressive and profitable businesses. In another year, we'll have FS11. I will willingly spend the money to have my hardware up to date to enjoy THAT technology. This is the least expensive "hobby" I can imagine. I have friends who spend a whole lot more on golf, hunting, fishing, "drinking" (unfortunately), and other actvities. I, for one, love the wholesomeness and enjoyment of this great activity called "simming" and I will continue to keep my system up to the capability of getting immersed in it. It's only as Real as it Gets if you get involved in the latest technology and help others through forums such as this to make it better. This, of course, is purely my OPINION.Perhaps when I'm enjoying FSX11 along with many others, some of those with FS9 will UPGRADE to FSX. Eventually, you will have to. I know times are tough with the Economy, but this hobby is very, very therapeutic for me. It's an escape. FSX is superb. It really is. I loved FS9 when it was FS9's time. For me, it's over.

Guest Alphahawk3

I can relate to the therapeutic part of FSX........and the other words in your post. I spent 20 plus years working in Saudi....that does not mean I am wealthy and can afford a new computer every 6 months as I used to. I have had every version of the sim since the Sub Logic days. I did several remote site tours in Saudi and without the sim to keep me busy at night and on weekends I would have gone nuts. It is the same now in the winter....which only lasts for a few months here but without FSX I would be lost during that time. I rarely fly in the spring and summer. My video card burnt out a while back and I told myself I would not buy another.......was using on board video and FSX would not even start with that. Well I lied to myself. Winter is coming and I bought a new 9600GT and also bought a new 500 Gig hard drive......both items cheap. Put FSX on the new hard drive.....installed the new card and am flying again with better results than ever on this old P4 3ghz system. I have FEX...GEX....FTX...a few nice GA payware aircraft and all is well with me. Yes I get some blurries and texture popping in and out but nothing I can't live with. The sim is smooth and looks great. There is no way I would go back to FS9....but I don't fly the heavies either. A new machine is in my future but I will probably wait until the next version of FS? comes out. I would bet it will be DX 10 only and if we want it we will have to have Vista or better if they have a new OS by then. Until it does come out I am happy with what I have but I do realize that if you want to play you have to pay. I must admit I wonder what FSX would look like without the texture popping. One day I will find out Regards

Hello,I agree with you Folks, when FSX is working good...that's AMAZING:-halo either with Heavies or light aircrafts.I also agree with the famous "NO BUCKS, NO BUCK ROGER" but that's for everythings here, down this Earth...Despite that, i have pretty much the same PC config than Spilok and FSX is not working at all:-hang Tried quazi all settings from Very Low ==> High/Very High, it's even worse with Low settings, same frustations !!(maybe my PC get bugs, i return it to the shop for deep testing), anyway, if your lucky enough to have a GOOD PC, i mean,one free of bugs, b'coz all PC are not same brand, like cars etc...GO FOR FSX WITHOUT ANY HESITATIONS:-hah :-halo :-halo :-beerchug

>In another year, we'll have FS11. Two years, Stan. :)RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I don't understand it why it doesn't run well. I defrag once a month, and that's about all. I run GEX, FEX, and everything is smooth. I'm even running water on high settings. I hope you can find the right tweaks to make it more enjoyable for you.

FSX is awesome.I'll add that I'm running it on a laptop and get 35 FPS (locked at 35) in most planes I own with high settings, which is pretty much every native FSX addon. Just point to it...FSX is much better for VFR and is now better than FS9 for commercial flying now that the PMDG MD-11 is out.The new 180.43 drivers work incredibly well with FSX- kudos to Nvidia for finally making drivers that really excel in FSX. Your hardware is all perfect for the new(er) sim except that you should pick up another gig or two (two if you have a 64 bit OS) of ram. FSX has advanced quite a ways since the demo was released and is not representative of the performance you will get with FSX w/SP2.I could NEVER go back to FS9. EVER.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

FSX SP2 in Vista SP1 runs superbly for me. No reasonto go back to FS9.I was surprised when I flew as a passenger in a window seatof a Qantas 747, that I couldn't see anything!!!!!It was total cloud cover or impenetrable mist or smogfor the total journey from Sydney to London, 20 hours!FSX was far better than the real thing!!Peter Sydney Australia