Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A36 Apache

Revisit: Best Defrag program for FSX?

I know it's been discussed over and over again. However, NOW, in November of 2008, what do simmers consider the best, most complete, and less troublesome Defrag program available today.I say this because defragging is so very important for flightsimming. I'm currently using the one with Vista Windows and would gladly change and pay for a program that is postively superior for our important hobby.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

REALLY? How did that happen? That would definitely be the one, then. A defragger programmed by FS people. Unbelieveable. Why didn't I hear about that?Thank you.

I'm going to buy it...tell me, how exactly do you use Ultimate Defragger to serve FSX best?Downloading it now.

There are several choices out there. I'm using Raxco's Perfectdisk, after having DiskKeeper for a while. I'm pleased with PerfectDisk, and again, there are several out there to select from.Hope this helps,Etienne

I use Raxco PerfectDisc Professional.It appears to keep my drives in tip-top condition with very little attention from me.Tonywww.msfsgateway.com

PerfectDisk works perfectly well for me.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

I have Ultimate Defrag 2008,Could someone suggest the procedure for using it to defrag a PC that is used is used primarily for FSX and EMail.Thanks for any help.

Ultimate defrag by a long shot. I have a upper mid-level machine with Vista 64 OS on which it works perfectly. I think I get performance far above what I should expect with my specs. It's not just hype, the difference is real.Spirit Flyer-FSX Deluxe with Acceleration-Intel 2 Quad Q6700-NVIDIA GeForce 9800 512 GTX+ Superclocked-4 gig high speed ram-500 gig hard drive-24 inch wide screen monitor-UTX (all)-GTX (all)-ORBX FTX (all)- Highly Recommended!-OZ GA Airports-FEX-TrafficX-Aerosoft Twotter and Beaver-Level D 767-300(I don't know how to program the flight computer, so it is falling apart behind a hanger somewhere...-Carenado Cherokee (with tinted windows I can't see out of very well)-Carenado Mooney (with FTX HD upgrade)-Carenado Cessna 182 (with FTX HD upgrade)-Real Air SF 260 (Favorite)-Real Air Spitfire-Thousands of freeware mods from AVSIMand so on...and lots of other stuff I can't remember (age)

>I have Ultimate Defrag 2008,>Could someone suggest the procedure for using it to defrag a>PC that is used is used primarily for FSX and EMail.>Thanks for any help.Certainly.It moves all your important files closer to the 'MFT'. This is located at th edge of your HDD.Moving them close to this, causes them to be read faster thus giving higher frame rates.You can select those that you want before the defrag commences, and it's much quicker than the Windows defragger.Just click on 'Tools'and then 'Options'. Drag or use the arrows to transfer the required files over to the left side.The click 'Consolidate' and your required files will be moved over, finishing with a defragmentation.

O&O Defrag v 8.6 using the complete name defrag process.. and a few other tweaks I have yet to find anything that works better and I have played with them all

>>>It moves all your important files closer to the 'MFT'.>>And my I ask a dumb question - how one knows what are those>"important" files? Does the program offer any advice as to>what files should be moved?>>Michael J.>http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpgWell, if was to answer that, you wouldn't know what you was doing anyway, would you? ;)Do me a favour eh. What files would you expect would want to be read faster?How about FS9 and FSX, for starters? :)

I'm an O&O Defrag 8.6 man myself. FSX defragged on Name.Being near the MFT is not the be all and end all that it sounds. Preventing head movement is equally if not more relevant so getting FSX textures files (mainly) next to each other and on as few tracks as possible is another performance consideration. The MFD is not always at the edge of the platter. My System drive has its MFD fair smack in the middle whilst on another partition its MFD at the edge of the platter. But the user doesn't get any choice in that matter.

MFT goes to the end of the dataThe closer the data is to the edge of the disk, the faster the access. Yes, MFT is accessed as well, but what that head reads is very simple location data and that will not hinder perf being after the data on the disk.You are much better off with the MFT after the data at the endTo move the MFT zone and relocate the data the easiest way is to use a 3rd party partition software.. reduce the size of the partition you wish to move the MFT down to about 2GB of freespace and create a new temp partition with the freespace.. then merge the 2 partitions back together. itg only takes a few minutes and once done it never has to be repeated. That will force Windows to destroy the MFT and re-write the area. Once back in Windows after the reboot from the partition merge (if required) open O&O and run the complete name defrag which will fill up the space the MFT was taking up. Upon reboot after that defrag the MFT will expand to 25% of the disk as is should but behind the dataI explained the process to someone else herehttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...um=1223610997#5

I use Ultimate Defrag as well. If you have gone ahead and purchased UD then follow the link below to a forum post regarding setup for high performance. Follow the instructions and you should be fine. You will find the instructions posted by 'screamer' on May 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM (about 3/4 of the way down the thread).http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/ind...p/t-152907.htmlAlso, do not forget to DL and install CCleaner which is a fantastic tool to clean your temp and prefetch files among all the junk on your HD. Simply run it before you defrag or before you shut your comp down and you will have better results.Good luck

I ran UD and O&O both (not at the same time) for the full length of their trial periods before I decided to buy O&O. O&O was faster in operation, but also more reliable on Vista 64. After UD would finish I would reboot and UD would tell me the level of fragmentation was high again, or it would crash while refreshing the defrag graphic. (UNINSTALL)I have O&O set to defrag by usage statistics (I am constantly flying and working with FSX files), to monitor the level of fragmentation and also have it set to run at every reboot. No complaints and smooth air!

UD2008 also has the Name feature, and that's what I use. I also select all my FSX/scenery files and put them under high performance (moves them to the outside of the platters -faster access)I then do a defrag and be sure to check "Respect High Performance" and "Put directories close to MFT" using the "Name" method.

"O&O Defrag v 8.6 using the complete name defrag process.. and a few other tweaks I have yet to find anything that works better and I have played with them all"I downloaded both version 8.6 and 11 and both do not support Vista 64 and refused even to install. BTW my Diskeeper 2007 was on Vista 32 and now on 64 and never complained.

I am just completing the build of Vista 64 and I installed O&O 8.6 before starting the FSX build and it works fine on my Vista64 machine.@ NickNThanks for the tip on moving the MFT that will be useful.

Oh well... assuming you downloard the 64bit O&O product and not the 32bit product I guess you wont be using O&O with VistaSounds to me like user errorDid I mention I dont use Vista?its about as useless as boobs on a bull for MSFS and perf:-lol May upgrade to Windows 7 but as far as I am concerned Vista can sit on the shelf and collect dust

Glad you mentioned that. I was about to go down the Vista path myself - in spite of the fact that it's been a PITA on my business laptop...Sorry for the (partial, I hope) thread hijacking but... do you recommend 64-bit XP? I'm guessing yes for the memory access but if you can, please confirm. Thanks!Alan

XP x64 SP2you wont have any DX10 support for games like Crysis so if you are after that support you must use VISTADX10 in FSX is a preview and has its issues... and not worth the switch to Vista

Not a Crysis/other games player and never tempted by DX10 in FSX. XP64 SP2 it is.Thanks!Alan