Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Arrival Stutters and Lag

Featured Replies

4 hours ago, Bunchy said:

This has been an issue since SU2. It's never been fixed up to now. I tried the SU7 beta and I find the performance of that to be slightly worse than the current SU6.

I was under the same impression, but I went down a rabbit hole of running my system. Turning off virtualization, ensuring I had the correct settings, and now I have crystal clear butter smooth.

For example, after I did all my changes to ensure the sim was using the cache, I noticed that my textures were still blurry. Well on the last dev stream, the only thing of value I got from there was when Seb explained that in 2024, TLOD is dynamic of you have Dynamic FPS on. The simulator will adjust the TLOD up to the limit based on your selection. So I experimented. I set TLOD up to 400. I then set Dynamic FPS to a target of 25. My FPS Limit is 35. The result was no loss in FPS or increased stutters, clear terrain, no loading issues.

The 10 FPS of native frames buffer allows the sim to have a “wiggle room” where it is not constantly lowering the TLOD to almost 20 without me knowing which is why I suspect many see blurry ground around them. Essentially the sim is trying to meet a target that may be too high. Or we have set the gap between the target and the minimum FPS too small. Both of those cause blurry textures.

The stutters for me was a combination of having a target that was too high for the FPS. Even going up to a max of 42 FPS gives me popping and stutters, because it’s just too high of a target and the sim then starts bottlenecking.

I suggest anyone experiencing these to turn off virtualization, set your maximum FPS, in the sim to a realistic number that you can achieve on average. Set the Dynamic FPS 10 below that is you can only go in increments of “5” so it would be two settings below your target FPS.

The other consideration I discovered after running my system correctly was that the stutters were being caused by Simconnect. There is an issue with Moza cockpit and BeyondATC where they poll simconnect excessively. It causes the the sim to begin stuttering. BeyondATC blamesMOZA. Moza blames on their discord point at BeyondATC. Bottom line no one has told MSFS as I discovered in the last dev update. Here is a change I made that helped from my deep dive.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who is in need

Edited by spearmint_flyer

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

  • Replies 34
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • You can use autotune, AutoFPS or the inbuilt dynamic settings to help with landing stutters, all have their pro's and cons. The main issue is that the graphics card is hampered by the fact that the si

  • Have a look at this - he seems to have the exact same problems on arrival. I've followed his instructions, and they do make a difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvi7cZhLcw

  • I know this doesn't help, but You are not alone. I posted on this exact scenario as well. For me, it seemed to coincide with SU6. Before that, I never noticed a problem. Some have said to clear your c

23 hours ago, alexcolka said:

Are you referring to the MSFS2020 or MSFS2024 rolling cache? because 2024 cache can't be disabled in settings like 2020 if I'm not mistaken, you can delete it manually by finding its file however after that 2024 will set a new one defaulting at 16gb.

Set your cache "0.0" to disable it.

img%5D

6 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

In 2024 you can only increase tje cache AFAIK.

dd

It can be disabled. Basically what you need to do is change the cache file folder location in the sim first, for instance my path is "F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MSFS2024\ROLLINGCACHE" let the sim create/move the file to the new folder. Close the sim.

Find said folder and rename it, I set mine to "ROLLINGCACHE.BACK" with the large file still inside in case i want to revert back. To undo and re enable the cache all you would need to do is rename the folder to the original name and start the sim.

When the sim can't find the folder it cant write to it. You will notice in the sim it shows 0.0 now. Setting it to 0.0 doesn't disable it for good, it will always default to 16gb.

4 hours ago, eagle FMJ said:

It can be disabled. Basically what you need to do is change the cache file folder location in the sim first, for instance my path is "F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MSFS2024\ROLLINGCACHE" let the sim create/move the file to the new folder. Close the sim.

Find said folder and rename it, I set mine to "ROLLINGCACHE.BACK" with the large file still inside in case i want to revert back. To undo and re enable the cache all you would need to do is rename the folder to the original name and start the sim.

When the sim can't find the folder it cant write to it. You will notice in the sim it shows 0.0 now. Setting it to 0.0 doesn't disable it for good, it will always default to 16gb.

Yes! this is the path, at least for me. Changed the default cache location to my SSD where MSFS2024 is installed, renamed it, and now in settings shows 0.0gb. I just can't believe it that all my stutter issues are gone. Specifically the issue described in the Flight Simulator Forums link bellow.

For sure I need to continue testing because as I said I just can't believe this. Downside: constant re download of textures but without stutters.

Severe stutter when switching between instrument views within cockpit - Bug Reporting Hub / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Alexander Colka

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.