Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Arrival Stutters and Lag

Featured Replies

If you create one do it with the highest LOD. 200 is mine so starting fresh the cache will be omly 200 TLOD otherwise the cache is pointless IMO.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • You can use autotune, AutoFPS or the inbuilt dynamic settings to help with landing stutters, all have their pro's and cons. The main issue is that the graphics card is hampered by the fact that the si

  • Have a look at this - he seems to have the exact same problems on arrival. I've followed his instructions, and they do make a difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvi7cZhLcw

  • I know this doesn't help, but You are not alone. I posted on this exact scenario as well. For me, it seemed to coincide with SU6. Before that, I never noticed a problem. Some have said to clear your c

21 minutes ago, eagle FMJ said:

I guess it all depends on the setup but for me I have less stutters with it disabled I tried both ways and 2 or 3 different sizes, so gone it is.

Are you referring to the MSFS2020 or MSFS2024 rolling cache? because 2024 cache can't be disabled in settings like 2020 if I'm not mistaken, you can delete it manually by finding its file however after that 2024 will set a new one defaulting at 16gb.

Alexander Colka

38 minutes ago, eagle FMJ said:

I guess it all depends on the setup but for me I have less stutters with it disabled I tried both ways and 2 or 3 different sizes, so gone it is.

Increase the cache to 128gb. You'll be able to sleep at night. 👍

dd

5 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

For me I can’t recommend autotune enough and using the calibration tool and optimisation settings

https://aerotunemfs.com/

I installed this and will give it a try on my next sim session. I too am having a perfectly smooth flight, other than normal turbulence, but becomes a slideshow when I land. Also at departure airport but not all the time.

Mike

Hello Gang!

I'm glawd this topic was opened. I have the same issue. Everything good until it's time to land and things become a slideshow. Some airports are worse than others but for the most part, this happens at all airports for me.

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: MoBo:  MSI MAG X870 Tomahawk WiFi ATX AM5.  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D.  Memory:  128GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5600 CL-40.  GPU: 24GB Asus TUF Gaming OC GeForce RTX 4090.  Monitor: LG UltraGear+ 45" curved OLED.  Power Supply: Corsair 1500 Watt 80+ Platinum ATX. HD: 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVME SSD.  Windows 11 Pro.

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.  Controller: XBox Controller

 
 
23 hours ago, Bill A said:

All right, so what is the deal when arriving at airports where it's not smooth? I could be departing with traffic, at a larger airport, and it'll be nice and smooth or have very minimal stutters. Then whole flight will be smooth, even cruise, and the descent, but once you land at any airport, even if it's a smaller airport with light traffic, it becomes a stutterfest, almost guaranteed. What could be causing these issues, since it's been around for quite some time with the flight sim community? Is it system resources being depleted from the flight? Because this basically happens on every single flight on landing. I've even adjusted the LOD to 150 and the terrain level of detail to 50 on the ground.

What CPU do you have? I have an AMD7900X3D. It has dual CCD. I was finding that the simulator for some reason would constantly switch the CCD from the Cache to the Freq. Anytime this happened I got a stutter which then came with an audio popping. So, I did research, turns out this is a known behavior of the X3D Dual CCD Chips. I used Process Lasso, made the simulator exclusively on cores 0-11 (CCD Cache) set everything else on the FREQ CCD (12-23). Because of this my frame time decreases significantly and no I have a smooth experience.

Additionally, are you running unlimited FPS? I recently have been locking my FPS to 35 and then setting a Dynamic Frame Target of 25 in the sim, I have a great LOD management, the simulator behaves smooth. No blurries in nearby terrain. It's perfect.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

  • Author

Have a 5800X3D, locking my frames via Riva Tuner to 25 and allowing frame gen to get it 50

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 (3600Mhz) - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 11 (25H2)

13 hours ago, alexcolka said:

because 2024 cache can't be disabled in settings like 2020 if I'm not mistaken, you can delete it manually by finding its file however after that 2024 will set a new one defaulting at 16gb.

Im on 24 and the cache is disabled Yes it can be done. You have to use some trickery ;)

12 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Increase the cache to 128gb. You'll be able to sleep at night. 👍

dd

I tried 16, 64 & 128. I have disabled and enabled the cache multiple times and for me, it seems that every time the cache file is written to it stutters the sim 100%, in fact when I had it enabled during a flight outside city area just trees and typical terrain, 24 started to micro stutter every 5 secs at the same time the HDD light blinked and it didn't stop it kept going. So I ended the flight and went and disabled the cache and here we are, this is the second time I disabled the cache in testing and its been about 2 months now and no constant micro stutters just an occasional one here and there but for the most part its all good now.

Also I never said my sim was running bad all I said was I have identified a CPU bottleneck that I am trying to fix, I have minimal stutters as of present so if I can rectify this minor CPU bottleneck I think will be perfect. I don't have high end machine either so its a lot of trial and error on my part to get the most out what I have to work with.

Edited by eagle FMJ

You can use autotune, AutoFPS or the inbuilt dynamic settings to help with landing stutters, all have their pro's and cons. The main issue is that the graphics card is hampered by the fact that the sim is generally CPU limited and cannot pass information to the graphics card quickly enough. The three options I mentioned are some of the ways to mitigate this as they will reduce the TLOD and OLOD where required to give a smooth experience at the expense of the visual experience.

I've tried all three at various times, though am using the inbuilt version at the moment. TLOD and OLOD are the main culprits and I found that turning down OLOD seemed to help a lot at big airports as objects are not rendered until you get closer to them. Texture resulution is another big one. In SU5 I was able to keep it at Ultra but since SU6 have had to turn it down to high (I was rarely CPU limited in SU5 but am permanently CPU limited in SU6).

Generally, settings like clouds, shadows and traffic can have quite a bit effect as well, though to get an idea of the best settings, it can be quite helpful to give Gemini or ChatGPT a cut and paste of your userCFG.opt file and system specs. That will give you close to the best settings to use and some ideas as to how you may be able to improve things.

A final thought is off screen terrain precaching. I have to keep mine at ultra because panning with trackIR5 gives me paanning stutters if I don't, but I did notice before I used head tracking that this setting made a big difference.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia RTX5080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2024 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, cianpars said:

A final thought is off screen terrain precaching. I have to keep mine at ultra because panning with trackIR5 gives me paanning stutters if I don't, but I did notice before I used head tracking that this setting made a big difference.

Do you remember how high did you use to have it?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX 5060Ti 16GB, 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz (G-sync compatible), Windows 11. Running P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 scenery objects as an additional library, just in case), FSX-SE, MSFS2020, MSFS2024 and even FS9! Lossless Scaling for all my sims but 2024, which uses the in-sim one.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there at 60 locked FPS.

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/mobile.

58 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Do you remember how high did you use to have it?

Medium or high before TrackIR but now on ultra

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia RTX5080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2024 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

On 10/1/2026 at 5:07 AM, Bill A said:

All right, so what is the deal when arriving at airports where it's not smooth? I could be departing with traffic, at a larger airport, and it'll be nice and smooth or have very minimal stutters. Then whole flight will be smooth, even cruise, and the descent, but once you land at any airport, even if it's a smaller airport with light traffic, it becomes a stutterfest, almost guaranteed. What could be causing these issues, since it's been around for quite some time with the flight sim community? Is it system resources being depleted from the flight? Because this basically happens on every single flight on landing. I've even adjusted the LOD to 150 and the terrain level of detail to 50 on the ground.

This has been an issue since SU2. It's never been fixed up to now. I tried the SU7 beta and I find the performance of that to be slightly worse than the current SU6.

I have not found a cure for this. I have tried low to ultra settings, DLSS on/off, FG on/off. it makes no difference. AI traffic can make it worse and TLOD can make it bad, too.

As you say, you can spawn into an airport and everything is smooth for departure, but arrive there, and it stutters like crazy when loading scenery and airport objects.

I find AutoFPS to help if you set TLOD and OLOD to 100 below 1000ft, but if you have high terrain around your airport, the scenery looks out of focus and muddy if you set TLOD at 50, plus you notice the taxiway lines go blurry about 50 metres in front of you.

We shouldn't have to do this though. Afterall, TLOD 200 is a medium setting.

My system specs are in my sig.

i7 12700K , DDR4 64GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

12 hours ago, spearmint_flyer said:

What CPU do you have? I have an AMD7900X3D. It has dual CCD. I was finding that the simulator for some reason would constantly switch the CCD from the Cache to the Freq. Anytime this happened I got a stutter which then came with an audio popping. So, I did research, turns out this is a known behavior of the X3D Dual CCD Chips. I used Process Lasso, made the simulator exclusively on cores 0-11 (CCD Cache) set everything else on the FREQ CCD (12-23). Because of this my frame time decreases significantly and no I have a smooth experience.

Additionally, are you running unlimited FPS? I recently have been locking my FPS to 35 and then setting a Dynamic Frame Target of 25 in the sim, I have a great LOD management, the simulator behaves smooth. No blurries in nearby terrain. It's perfect.

I used Process Lasso, made the simulator exclusively on cores 0-11 (CCD Cache) set everything else on the FREQ CCD (12-23): HOW do you set that in Process Lasso?

When I clear the cache and land at KTVL the runway is blurry until I turn off and the next time I land there. Depends also on how many airports I visit in the meantime.

dd

3 hours ago, hugojans said:

I used Process Lasso, made the simulator exclusively on cores 0-11 (CCD Cache) set everything else on the FREQ CCD (12-23): HOW do you set that in Process Lasso?

When you select the process, go the affinity menu. There in the always popup, you’ll see check boxes for the cores, under those there are a few boxes, showing CCD0 (Cache). CCD1 (FREQ). You want to set it to. CACHE.

Here’s a video explaining it further.

https://youtu.be/-bAyXTc9Mhc?is=A2-wyuVFHqxZ2o1T

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.