Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Arrival Stutters and Lag

Featured Replies

All right, so what is the deal when arriving at airports where it's not smooth? I could be departing with traffic, at a larger airport, and it'll be nice and smooth or have very minimal stutters. Then whole flight will be smooth, even cruise, and the descent, but once you land at any airport, even if it's a smaller airport with light traffic, it becomes a stutterfest, almost guaranteed. What could be causing these issues, since it's been around for quite some time with the flight sim community? Is it system resources being depleted from the flight? Because this basically happens on every single flight on landing. I've even adjusted the LOD to 150 and the terrain level of detail to 50 on the ground.

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 (3600Mhz) - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 11 (25H2)

  • Replies 32
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • You can use autotune, AutoFPS or the inbuilt dynamic settings to help with landing stutters, all have their pro's and cons. The main issue is that the graphics card is hampered by the fact that the si

  • Have a look at this - he seems to have the exact same problems on arrival. I've followed his instructions, and they do make a difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvi7cZhLcw

  • I know this doesn't help, but You are not alone. I posted on this exact scenario as well. For me, it seemed to coincide with SU6. Before that, I never noticed a problem. Some have said to clear your c

2 hours ago, Bill A said:

All right, so what is the deal when arriving at airports where it's not smooth? I could be departing with traffic, at a larger airport, and it'll be nice and smooth or have very minimal stutters. Then whole flight will be smooth, even cruise, and the descent, but once you land at any airport, even if it's a smaller airport with light traffic, it becomes a stutterfest, almost guaranteed. What could be causing these issues, since it's been around for quite some time with the flight sim community? Is it system resources being depleted from the flight? Because this basically happens on every single flight on landing. I've even adjusted the LOD to 150 and the terrain level of detail to 50 on the ground.

I have not encountered this, sorry. However my system comes with a control panel that includes a 'free up memory' button and this usually clears the RAM buffer by 15-20% as it ticks up over time. I usually do this a couple of times per flight, so maybe that wards off trouble. Is this in 20 or 24 BTW?

  • Author
6 hours ago, Nandengo12 said:

I have not encountered this, sorry. However my system comes with a control panel that includes a 'free up memory' button and this usually clears the RAM buffer by 15-20% as it ticks up over time. I usually do this a couple of times per flight, so maybe that wards off trouble. Is this in 20 or 24 BTW

This is in 24

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 (3600Mhz) - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 11 (25H2)

7 hours ago, Nandengo12 said:

I have not encountered this, sorry. However my system comes with a control panel that includes a 'free up memory' button and this usually clears the RAM buffer by 15-20% as it ticks up over time. I usually do this a couple of times per flight, so maybe that wards off trouble. Is this in 20 or 24 BTW?

Or you could use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner (ISLC) to do this automatically - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelligent_standby_list_cleaner.html

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k • Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 • 32GB DDR4 2666 • EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

  • Author
49 minutes ago, somiller said:

Or you could use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner (ISLC) to do this automatically - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelligent_standby_list_cleaner.html

Thanks for the reply, I do have ISLC running in the background. I've used ISLC since MSFS2020 days

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 (3600Mhz) - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 11 (25H2)

I know this doesn't help, but You are not alone. I posted on this exact scenario as well. For me, it seemed to coincide with SU6. Before that, I never noticed a problem. Some have said to clear your cache, which helped slightly, but still don't think I am back to SU5 days.

We know that MSFS2024's graphics settings are heavily dependent on your available hardware ( CPU, SSD M.2, Gb and MHz RAM, memory GPU).

To get an idea of the maximum graphics settings your hardware can support in MSFS2024, go to Settings > Advanced Options, enable Developer Mode, and then in menu at the top in Debug Display enable Display FPS.

At the bottom of the window that appears, you can see the your RAM and GPU memory, as well as current usage during flight.

If the loaded data , particularly in complex airport environments, approaches or exceeds your GPU's maximum available memory (indicated by the GPUMem value turning red), you may encounter the issues you described, such as prompts to lower your graphics settings. Generally, if this value remains white or yellow, you shouldn't experience stuttering.

Keep in mind that, in addition to lowering graphics values like Volumetric Clouds and Texture Resolution, it is also important to adjust other parameters in the Graphics menu, specifically NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution, as DLSS can consume a significant amount of GPU memory.

Another important setting is TLOD (Terrain Level of Detail). Fortunately, there is an excellent, well-known tool called the MSFS Auto FPS App by Reset XPDR. This app is particularly helpful for non-high-end PCs, as it automatically manages this parameter by adjusting texture loading, and consequently memory usage during flight.

I just stumbled upon this tool here https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/investigating-msfs-2024-ram-pressure-major-performance-improvement-from-periodic-rammap-cleaning/775592/18

Haven't tested it out yet but seems interesting, I too have suffered with the dreaded Arrival/Landing Stutters and have reduced it significantly by turning down or turning off Fauna and reducing FSLTL traffic settings as well as reducing airport services. Also finding that TLOD/OLOD sweet spot is key.

I think my issue is a CPU bottleneck that I am currently trying to remedy, I just made some changes and hoping they turn out good.

  • Author

Yeah my frames still stay 50 locked but panning around and taxi turns are jittery and have these annoying skips if you know what I mean. Landing is not bad and but the minute I taxi off the runway and turn I noticed these little micro stutters and jitters. My TLOD is set to 50 on the ground too.

Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus

Asus Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Asus Geforce 4080 RTX OC Edition

64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx V2

EVGA 850W Power Supply

2 TB NVME PCIE gen 4

Gigabyte M27Q Pro Monitor  240Hz

Windows 11  25H2

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 (3600Mhz) - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 11 (25H2)

3 hours ago, lehbird said:

I know this doesn't help, but You are not alone. I posted on this exact scenario as well. For me, it seemed to coincide with SU6. Before that, I never noticed a problem. Some have said to clear your cache, which helped slightly, but still don't think I am back to SU5 days.

Totally with you there. I've had to turn down texture resolution and one or two other things since SU6 to maintain the performance I was getting in SU5.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia RTX5080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2024 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

The roaming cache is the most important piece of MSFS. Keep it large with the highest TLOD Objects and don't treat it lightly. (delete whenever)

dd

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

12 hours ago, Paul K said:

Have a look at this - he seems to have the exact same problems on arrival. I've followed his instructions, and they do make a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvi7cZhLcw

About every two months or so I do a DDU clean of NV drivers et al and do a clean install of the latest NV driver, or sometimes just re-install the current NV driver in my Win 11 PC. This automatically deletes the NV shader cache. I always notice a meaningful improvement whenever I do this routine. If you follow his video you still will need to repeat actions suggested periodically because something degrades over time so benefits from periodic resets.

Noel

System:  9900X3D Noctua NH-D15 G2, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL  64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Front Edge Sync.

Aircraft used in MSFS 2024:  Fenix A320,  Aerosoft CRJs, I-Fly 737 MAX 8, PMDG 777-200LR, Citation Longitude.

 

24 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

The roaming cache is the most important piece of MSFS. Keep it large with the highest TLOD Objects and don't treat it lightly. (delete whenever)

dd

I guess it all depends on the setup but for me I have less stutters with it disabled I tried both ways and 2 or 3 different sizes, so gone it is.

Edited by eagle FMJ

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.