Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueString

2 hours in a United flight simulator on eBay

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Who in the world would spend so much for 2 hours?Someone who wants to give to charity? Just a hunch...EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)

You might have missed that big AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY CHARITY logo? I would assume assume those bidding are not concerned with how much the simulator time costs but rather that they money goes to helping people who can't fly in a simulator themselves because they are DYING of cancer? :-roll

Alex:I've got a hunch that you are completely wrong in that assumption. You may (or may not)have noticed that cars such as Ferrari's are for sale on e-Bay and have bids on them. Aircraft are for sale and have bids on them. Other high ticket items have bids on them. MANY charities hold auctions on Ebay NOT because they are looking for 18 year olds looking for a good price for a pair of sneekers but because it is the defacto bidding medium that affords the organization global coverage. The demographic for e-Bay spans everyone from cost concious teenagers to millionaires with money to burn. Note that bidders for these types of high priced auctions are prescreened before a bid can be entered, whereas the interested party's financial resources are verfied before a bid is placed and it appears that there is no shortage of bidders. The bidders are not concerned so much with the prize itself or the cost of the prize outside of the auction, so much as that they have given of themselves unselfishly. If your assumption were correct then the auction would not have 15 prescreened bidders right?Don't you think that people know that they can buy a steak dinner for two for $100 when they are bidding on a $2,500 a plate charity dinner? Its not about the money, its about what the money does to help those who need it the most.

Did anyone notice at the top "you could win a behind-the-scenes..."?

>Mike and Ewing->>Yeah nice banner, they do good work. But people with that kind>of money to spend on charity likely do not troll eBay looking>for ways to give. Just a hunch.....Alex:I think your perception of ebayers, as a bunch of cheapskate bargain hunters, is incorrect. People with that kind of money are probably looking for rare and unusual items. I don't have that kind of money, but most of the items I've gotten from ebay have been unusual or hard to find. It's an excellent place to find things they don't sell at WalMart.You also have to consider that for some, ebay itself, is a hobby. People love auctions.EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)

Package consists of roundtrip, domestic air travel for two (2) people to Denver, Colorado from the airport nearest the participant