Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Anyone knows how to fix this - wrong surface type at Aerosoft ESSA in P3Dv2

Sorry Richard, but I don't see any bouncing there?

No, as I wrote in my last post I realize it's very hard to see the "effect" I'm talking about in the clip. Maybe I'll post another clip when I taxi a longer distance going straight ahead, I think that might help show the issue.

Next time you're at ESSA try taxiing off the pavement onto the grass (go ahead, no one's looking) and see if there is any change in sounds/vibrations/noise. Then try it at another airport for any differences.

This is a good idea, will give it a try.

Richard Åsberg

I have responded in your Aerosoft forum thread, Richard. I thought that you might need some support, since Aerosoft can be a little bit slow when responding to questions of this nature.

Thanks Christopher, I read your post over at Aerosoft's forums and replied to it and as I wrote there I think the main problem in this case is the scenery is very old which makes the chances that Aerosoft would bother look in to it are slim.

Have lost count how many times I asked both Aerosoft as well as other scenery developers to consider a new Stockholm-Arlanda scenery but so far the response has been close to none. Mathijs at Aerosoft did once though say that a new Arlanda scenery was on their list but if that will be in 1 or 10 years...who knows...

Too bad there's so little interest in Stockholm-Arlanda from the scenery developers because looking at online traffic on VATSIM for example there's quite a lot of traffic and the Swedish ATC is really, really good so it's always great fun to fly in and out of Arlanda!

I believe, you'll have to disable/remove the "essarwy_exc.bgl" located in the scenery's "Scenery" folder.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Now this was a very interesting tip, looking forward to try it out tomorrow!

May I ask how you came to the conclusion disabling this file would fix the problem and what's the purpose of this file from starters? Looking at the name it appears to be some kind of exclusion bgl...?

I went ahead and installed this scenery in P3D just to see what happens. I do get a slight undulation, not really bouncing. Actually, it was kind of realistic since taxiways and even runways are not perfectly smooth. I didn't taxi all over the airport though either.

Undulation...that's a much better word for it but didn't know that word until now that I looked it up :wink:

First I thought the same thing, this "effect" might actually be a pretty nice one since it in a way will simulate the real world where the surface is rarely perfectly even but after a while you get pretty sick of this undulation and I think main reason is the undulation is very consistent. If it would have been a bit more random I think it would have been better.

When I first discovered this issue I posted about it over in PMDG's NGX forum since I thought maybe it was a new "feature" either coming with the NGX for P3D or a feature in P3D in itself. Someone in that thread also told me how you can sometimes see a similar thing in the real aircraft when it has been parked for a long time causing the nose tire to not be 100% circular :D

Unfortunately though by now I'm pretty sure this is not what is happening here but instead some kind of P3D compatibility issue with this old scenery.

Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus,

I think I've posted in your other topic in regards to this issue...I have the same issue at ESSA.  I've been following your other thread too.  Still no luck I guess, huh?

Anyway, undulation is a good way to describe it.  Or, it's like being in a boat and riding over some waves.  I don't recall seeing this in FSX at all.  But, once I swithced to P3D, there it was.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

WebMaximus,

I think I've posted in your other topic in regards to this issue...I have the same issue at ESSA.  I've been following your other thread too.  Still no luck I guess, huh?

Anyway, undulation is a good way to describe it.  Or, it's like being in a boat and riding over some waves.  I don't recall seeing this in FSX at all.  But, once I swithced to P3D, there it was.

Sorry to hear you're suffering from the same problem I do Kevin but nice to know I'm not the only one :wink:

Looking at the way you describe the issue I'm 100% positive we're talking about the exact same issue...it's just like being in a boat as you say riding over very shallow waves...slowly up and down until you almost start to get sick...

Since we both have started seeing this in P3D but never in FSX this must be a clear indication this is a P3D compatibility issue and maybe just maybe in combination with some other addon we both have installed.

Here's a link showing all my installed addons.

I still find it a bit strange though why not more people are reporting this issue but maybe the simple answer to that is not too many people are using this old scenery in P3Dv2.

Richard Åsberg

I believe if you apply the German night light fix it fixes the problem.  I had the same issue and eventually figured it out.  I think that did it.

I believe if you apply the German night light fix it fixes the problem.  I had the same issue and eventually figured it out.  I think that did it.

What's the German night light fix and how would that have anything to do with this issue at Stockholm-Arlanda?

Richard Åsberg

Since we both have started seeing this in P3D but never in FSX this must be a clear indication this is a P3D compatibility issue and maybe just maybe in combination with some other addon we both have installed.

Here's a link showing all my installed addons.

Yeah, I have basically the same scenery/add ons as you do.  I've seen it not only with the PMDG NGX but also with the Aerosoft buses too.  So it's definitely not the aircraft.  One thing different from you is that for mesh, I use FSGenesis.  But, this just further points to the scenery itself as the culprit, I think as two different mesh products in use and still see the same issue.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Yep, sure appears to be a scenery issue but find it strange why it doesn't affect everyone in the same way such as Jack who posted on the first page in this thread.

Richard Åsberg

Cool.

I'm still having trouble understating how a fix for the lights would fix this problem but I'll give it a try :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Unfortunately I can't help you with your problems at ESSA, however I can give you some hope for the future regarding ESSA. There are a few guys working on a completely new ESSA for FSX, FS9 and P3Dv2. The development update screenshots already looks much better than aerosofts offering. Best of all, it will be freeware! Check it out!

Cheers!/Andreas

f874ca8cfc7ccac0e92d49c916bd8e55.jpg

57bc0e8abdab48fdad4f2e2230c0050b.jpg

906f5607f5086d7dcce4663b45a257dd.jpg

cb38612d9167b0986abdab02c03a3728.jpg

Unfortunately I can't help you with your problems at ESSA, however I can give you some hope for the future regarding ESSA. There are a few guys working on a completely new ESSA for FSX, FS9 and P3Dv2. The development update screenshots already looks much better than aerosofts offering. Best of all, it will be freeware! Check it out!

Cheers!/Andreas

f874ca8cfc7ccac0e92d49c916bd8e55.jpg

57bc0e8abdab48fdad4f2e2230c0050b.jpg

906f5607f5086d7dcce4663b45a257dd.jpg

cb38612d9167b0986abdab02c03a3728.jpg

Already found that thread but thanks anyway and I fully agree, this upcoming scenery for ESSA so far is looking really, really good and that it will be released as freeware for all simulator versions is nothing short of amazing!

I will check out that thread over at FSDevelopers again since I noticed there has been some activity since my last visit. I was missing a setting in my personal profile in their forum so I didn't receive any notification emails even when I was watching the thread.

Richard Åsberg

Problem finally solved after following the advice given by Victor Buchkov in post #14 to remove/disable the file called essarwy_exc.bgl. Many, many thanks Victor for this advice!!

Would still be very interested though to hear how you came to the conclusion this file was the culprit and also it would be nice to know what this file is for? I did a lot of taxiing at ESSA today and also successfully took off and landed just to make sure disabling this file didn't cause any other issues but all seems good. Feels so good to finally be able to taxi around at Arlanda again in a normal way without having the sensation you're riding a roller-coaster :wink:

Another nice thing I noticed is how the friction now is normal as well at ESSA. When having this problem I clearly noticed how I had to apply more thrust than normal to get the a/c moving and now with the file disabled I actually need to apply the parking brake or step on the brakes for the aircraft to not start rolling with the engines at idle.

I also found a way today to very clearly show you all the problem.

This is what it looks like with essarwy_exc.bgl enabled and this is what it looks like with essarwy_exc.bgl disabled...a bit of a difference huh but nice to see how well the NGX suspension is working :wink:

Again, lots of thanks to you Victor for finding the culprit and also thanks to everyone else who helped me troubleshoot this issue!

Richard Åsberg

Interesting, I'd forward your post to Aerosoft , maybe they can fix that.

Interesting, I'd forward your post to Aerosoft , maybe they can fix that.

Feel free but my experience is Aerosoft usually isn't very interested in addressing these types of issues and especially so when it comes to products not released recently.

I also referenced this post over in Aerosoft's forum as a nice gesture to other users with the same issue who don't know about this thread.

Richard Åsberg