Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Anyone knows how to fix this - wrong surface type at Aerosoft ESSA in P3Dv2

Noticed since I replaced FSX with P3Dv2 how taxiing at ESSA has become rather jumpy and it looks the reason for this is the surface type at Aerosoft ESSA taxiways for whatever reason is gravel rather than asphalt in P3Dv2 and hence the jumpy ride.

Here's a short clip showing this looking at the dirt behind the wheels of this Norwegian B738 taxiing.

Anyone else noticed this and managed to fix it or know how it could be fixed? Of course the most natural thing would be to ask Aerosoft if they could look into this but considering the age of this scenery I'm afraid it's highly unlikely Aerosoft would invest any time into fixing this issue and especially in P3Dv2 which this scenery of course is not officially compatible with.

In another thread someone suggested to load the Aerosoft ESSA bgl into ADE and I did try that but as far as I could tell (being a 100% rookie when it comes to ADE...) the taxiways I checked did appear to be correctly defined using asphalt as surface so not sure why P3Dv2 thinks the taxiways have gravel as surface?! This was never a problem in FSX.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not a single view in 3 days...sometimes I do pick interesting subjects I guess :wink:

Would really like to find a way to fix this if possible since ESSA is my home airport and I do lots of flying into and out from there.

As I don´t have that problem (P3D v2.5) I look into the topic but have no solution.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I wonder if Aerosoft ESSA has underlying AFD taxiways that determine the surface type? If this is the case, then it may be that the Draw Flags for the taxi paths need to be reset (a known issue with P3D). Do you have Airport Design Editor installed? If so, open up the ESSA AFD file, then select Taxi Links from the Lists menu, and left click on Reset Draw Flags. Save, and check it again in P3D (make a backup copy of your AFD file first).

As I don´t have that problem (P3D v2.5) I look into the topic but have no solution.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Very strange how I have this issue and you don't when we're using the same scenery and the save version of P3D...hmm...

I wonder if Aerosoft ESSA has underlying AFD taxiways that determine the surface type? If this is the case, then it may be that the Draw Flags for the taxi paths need to be reset (a known issue with P3D). Do you have Airport Design Editor installed? If so, open up the ESSA AFD file, then select Taxi Links from the Lists menu, and left click on Reset Draw Flags. Save, and check it again in P3D (make a backup copy of your AFD file first).

Thanks for the tip. I already tried this though to no avail but I'll have a second look making sure I didn't do anything wrong.

Unfortunately I can´t help you with that issue. 

Jack

the Swede in Spain

What else is in there that's changing airport textures? REX, Zinertek, Orbx?

I don't have ESSA. Does it have a configuration program that's set for winter and what you're seeing is snow kicked up by the wheels?

I agree, it looks normal to me for winter.  Try setting the date to mid summer and see if it persists.

It does come with a season config tool so will double-check it's not set to winter but I don't think that's the issue. This slow, continuous bumping up and down while taxiing is something I never seen before regardless season.

As for other products I do have all global Orbx stuff installed such as FTX Global, openLC and Vector and also FS Global Ultimate Mesh. Still I think this is something specific to P3D because as I already mentioned I never had this issue in FSX using the exact same scenery.

Just took off from Berlin-Tegel and paid close attention to any bumping while taxiing but none so this sure is specific to Aerosoft Stockholm-Arlanda.

One thing I tried before I took off from Berlin-Tegel was to install the P3D SDK and ADE and I then reset all draw flags as suggested by Christopher a few posts back. Will be interesting to see if that will make any difference but I'm pretty sure I already tried this before to no avail.

Hi Richard,

Watched the video a few more times. Are you referring to the spray from the wheels or a bumpy ride along the taxiway? I notice the spray but not any bumping. Next time you're at ESSA try taxiing off the pavement onto the grass (go ahead, no one's looking) and see if there is any change in sounds/vibrations/noise. Then try it at another airport for any differences.

The one thing I've noticed about the draw flag problem in P3D is that even though the taxiways look like grass, they behave like concrete or asphalt. Kinda like concrete painted to look like grass.

Just made a very short clip featuring me taxiing into gate 5 right after I landed at ESSA. I realize it might be very hard to see the bumpiness I'm referring to in the clip and after I recorded it I also realized I should have taxied a longer distance. That would have make it easier to spot the bumpiness I guess but if you look a bit ahead of the aircraft you might see that the v/c is slowly moving up and down while rolling down the taxiway and apron.

To answer your questions Jay looking at the spray was something I thought would be an indication P3D interprets the surface wrong at ESSA because you shouldn't see that effect when taxiing along a taxiway made of concrete or asphalt but you will see the same effect if you taxi a GA aircraft for example on a runway made of grass. And as you say, it's not possible to spot the bumpiness from an external view, you only see/experience it when you're sitting in the v/c looking straight ahead...slow, continuous movements up and down.

Edited to add I forgot to mention that apparently resetting those draw flags didn't help I'm afraid.

Here's the link to the short clip, hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm talking about or if not I'll make another clip later on.

Sorry Richard, but I don't see any bouncing there?

I think I can detect slight bouncing, but it's difficult to see from the VC of an aircraft the size of a Boeing 737. I have responded in your Aerosoft forum thread, Richard. I thought that you might need some support, since Aerosoft can be a little bit slow when responding to questions of this nature.

I believe, you'll have to disable/remove the "essarwy_exc.bgl" located in the scenery's "Scenery" folder.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

I went ahead and installed this scenery in P3D just to see what happens. I do get a slight undulation, not really bouncing. Actually, it was kind of realistic since taxiways and even runways are not perfectly smooth. I didn't taxi all over the airport though either.

Sorry Richard, but I don't see any bouncing there?

No, as I wrote in my last post I realize it's very hard to see the "effect" I'm talking about in the clip. Maybe I'll post another clip when I taxi a longer distance going straight ahead, I think that might help show the issue.

Next time you're at ESSA try taxiing off the pavement onto the grass (go ahead, no one's looking) and see if there is any change in sounds/vibrations/noise. Then try it at another airport for any differences.

This is a good idea, will give it a try.

I have responded in your Aerosoft forum thread, Richard. I thought that you might need some support, since Aerosoft can be a little bit slow when responding to questions of this nature.

Thanks Christopher, I read your post over at Aerosoft's forums and replied to it and as I wrote there I think the main problem in this case is the scenery is very old which makes the chances that Aerosoft would bother look in to it are slim.

Have lost count how many times I asked both Aerosoft as well as other scenery developers to consider a new Stockholm-Arlanda scenery but so far the response has been close to none. Mathijs at Aerosoft did once though say that a new Arlanda scenery was on their list but if that will be in 1 or 10 years...who knows...

Too bad there's so little interest in Stockholm-Arlanda from the scenery developers because looking at online traffic on VATSIM for example there's quite a lot of traffic and the Swedish ATC is really, really good so it's always great fun to fly in and out of Arlanda!

I believe, you'll have to disable/remove the "essarwy_exc.bgl" located in the scenery's "Scenery" folder.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Now this was a very interesting tip, looking forward to try it out tomorrow!

May I ask how you came to the conclusion disabling this file would fix the problem and what's the purpose of this file from starters? Looking at the name it appears to be some kind of exclusion bgl...?

I went ahead and installed this scenery in P3D just to see what happens. I do get a slight undulation, not really bouncing. Actually, it was kind of realistic since taxiways and even runways are not perfectly smooth. I didn't taxi all over the airport though either.

Undulation...that's a much better word for it but didn't know that word until now that I looked it up :wink:

First I thought the same thing, this "effect" might actually be a pretty nice one since it in a way will simulate the real world where the surface is rarely perfectly even but after a while you get pretty sick of this undulation and I think main reason is the undulation is very consistent. If it would have been a bit more random I think it would have been better.

When I first discovered this issue I posted about it over in PMDG's NGX forum since I thought maybe it was a new "feature" either coming with the NGX for P3D or a feature in P3D in itself. Someone in that thread also told me how you can sometimes see a similar thing in the real aircraft when it has been parked for a long time causing the nose tire to not be 100% circular :D

Unfortunately though by now I'm pretty sure this is not what is happening here but instead some kind of P3D compatibility issue with this old scenery.

WebMaximus,

I think I've posted in your other topic in regards to this issue...I have the same issue at ESSA.  I've been following your other thread too.  Still no luck I guess, huh?

Anyway, undulation is a good way to describe it.  Or, it's like being in a boat and riding over some waves.  I don't recall seeing this in FSX at all.  But, once I swithced to P3D, there it was.

WebMaximus,

I think I've posted in your other topic in regards to this issue...I have the same issue at ESSA.  I've been following your other thread too.  Still no luck I guess, huh?

Anyway, undulation is a good way to describe it.  Or, it's like being in a boat and riding over some waves.  I don't recall seeing this in FSX at all.  But, once I swithced to P3D, there it was.

Sorry to hear you're suffering from the same problem I do Kevin but nice to know I'm not the only one :wink:

Looking at the way you describe the issue I'm 100% positive we're talking about the exact same issue...it's just like being in a boat as you say riding over very shallow waves...slowly up and down until you almost start to get sick...

Since we both have started seeing this in P3D but never in FSX this must be a clear indication this is a P3D compatibility issue and maybe just maybe in combination with some other addon we both have installed.

Here's a link showing all my installed addons.

I still find it a bit strange though why not more people are reporting this issue but maybe the simple answer to that is not too many people are using this old scenery in P3Dv2.

I believe if you apply the German night light fix it fixes the problem.  I had the same issue and eventually figured it out.  I think that did it.

I believe if you apply the German night light fix it fixes the problem.  I had the same issue and eventually figured it out.  I think that did it.

What's the German night light fix and how would that have anything to do with this issue at Stockholm-Arlanda?

Since we both have started seeing this in P3D but never in FSX this must be a clear indication this is a P3D compatibility issue and maybe just maybe in combination with some other addon we both have installed.

Here's a link showing all my installed addons.

Yeah, I have basically the same scenery/add ons as you do.  I've seen it not only with the PMDG NGX but also with the Aerosoft buses too.  So it's definitely not the aircraft.  One thing different from you is that for mesh, I use FSGenesis.  But, this just further points to the scenery itself as the culprit, I think as two different mesh products in use and still see the same issue.

Yep, sure appears to be a scenery issue but find it strange why it doesn't affect everyone in the same way such as Jack who posted on the first page in this thread.

Cool.

I'm still having trouble understating how a fix for the lights would fix this problem but I'll give it a try :smile: