Sign in to follow this  
PaintSplasher

THOPAT 1.0 | Preset for PTA2 | As real as it gets

With PTA 2.04 works like a charm. Amazing work, I think it's more all around than other presets and does not need reshade to look nice!

Is it just me or is the THOPAT appear too dark at night. I know I have a weird effect with ground lighting loading while in flight. The lights seem to fade in and out.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Hey, our ground at night is really dark, that is what we wanted. If you ever flown at night in real life and there is no big city, you see nothing :) Why you lighting have a weird effect, I've no thougt about it at the moment. We're only days away from our new release for the new PTA 2.04, maybe this is your solution.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Virtual Cargo International

Virtual Cargo International | A virtual cargo company

With regards to blueish stuff - try different sky textures. I think you use native ASCA ones which are simply horrible

Yes, that blue is caused by that particular sky texture loaded. I have found some in ASCA (which I've uninstalled until they can fix the massive performace bug in it currently) and some freeware ones. 

Hey, our ground at night is really dark, that is what we wanted. If you ever flown at night in real life and there is no big city, you see nothing :) Why you lighting have a weird effect, I've no thougt about it at the moment. We're only days away from our new release for the new PTA 2.04, maybe this is your solution.

Really liking your preset. Only "I am not sure if this looks quite right" moment is a dusk/sunset, the clouds still appear to be overly bright white like there is still way to much bloom/light hitting them like at mid day. Other than that, very happy with it.

Eric 

Has anyone encountered this weird anomaly with this preset: flying in early evening and the night sky texture and clouds give the appearance of a full moon. That being the sky looks brighter and the clouds as well. However, upon say opening the P3D settings menu UI to look at a setting, mind you not changing anything, and then closing the UI and continuing your flight, the sky and clouds (the whole scene really) gets much darker. But after a time it goes back to how it was before you opened the UI. Very bizarre....

And FWIW, I don't see any moon up but the clouds at night are way too bright. Currently over Bulgaria, FL360, 2012Z JAN18, 2017 using AS16 (ASCA not installed) and the appearance is that of a full moon shining down.

Eric 

Hm, it is indeed very weird. I talked to my buddy about this effect, but both of us can't reproduce this shining issue. I'm really sorry, but we want release our new version for PTA 2.04 with a lot of changes based of lot of comments, tomorrow! Maybe this fix it for you, if it's really our preset.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone encountered this weird anomaly with this preset: flying in early evening and the night sky texture and clouds give the appearance of a full moon. That being the sky looks brighter and the clouds as well. However, upon say opening the P3D settings menu UI to look at a setting, mind you not changing anything, and then closing the UI and continuing your flight, the sky and clouds (the whole scene really) gets much darker. But after a time it goes back to how it was before you opened the UI. Very bizarre....

I've seen that.  Must be a P3D bug.  Happens once in a while to me and I just shrug.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hey paintsplasher, since using your settings, I now have square edged cloud shadows.

TUGcnyQ.jpg

Sorry if the image doesn't meet page rules. 

Jack Cannon

Hey paintsplasher, since using your settings, I now have square edged cloud shadows.

Sorry if the image doesn't meet page rules. 

I think you're using PTA 2.03, right? Please check the new PTA 2.04.

Goood evening guys,

first, thanks to all who are using our preset and we appreciate all your comments. For the new PTA version 2.04 we also updated our preset and adjusted some parameters like lightning, cloud shadows and some small global settings based on lot of comments from you guys and real pictures. Please find the new preset version(1.4) on our website and please pay attention to the preset comments section for our HDR settings.

If you want to watch a little preview video, check this link(38MB):
(If the video doesn't start, please rightklick and download it)

We wish you all a great and successful flight :)

All the best,
Patrick & Thorsten

commercial1_4.png
  • Upvote 2

I am having some problems with PTA 2.04 and this preset. Don't know why.

Light suddenly change when move the camera. For example in the VC or exterior if i move the camera there is a point where the sim goes suddenly too much or too less bright. Will try to make a small video.

I have latest PTA and latest Tophat. Settings as suggested. AS16 + ASCA (not Envtex).

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Hello Thorsten & Patrick!

First of all thank you for your work and effort to create the best PTA settings!

There are two issues i got with 1.4. The settings are set up as recommended. In 1.2 the VC is quite right and the snow got no yellow tint.

The VC is very dark:

rift2vq8.jpg

Snow got a yellow tint:

6fecxu74.jpg

Could you please check if you got the same appearance?

Best regards

Stephan

For example in the VC or exterior if i move the camera there is a point where the sim goes suddenly too much or too less bright.

Same here, being trying to track this down for some time, When I rotate spot view there is a clear demarcation line between bright and dark.

running PTA 2.04 with THOPAT preset 1.4. AS16, GEP3D, UT2.2 USA. and ORBX ftx NC.

However this morning decided to do some flights in the UK. and to my surprise it wasn't occurring., don't no the conclusion of this but still in the GEP3D scenery but away from ORBX.

bob

edit ..just done a re check its come back..

V5AtPiu.png

@Paintsplasher

I am using the newest 1.4 with PTA 2.04 and while I really like your preset, however I continue to get a lot of flickering/shimmering on terrain and cloud shadows that I don't see as much when I am testing with Adams preset.  The deep shadows look great but only for screenshots. I also have the nasty shadow flickering of the tree shadows cast that makes it impossible to turn on with PTA.  

Do you have any flickering of shadows? What are your shadow setting in your prepar3d.cfg file? What driver/video card are you using?

Thanks!

Daniel

Hm, strange, we tested our preset with around 50 flights and many restarts and we didn't have any flickering shadows-

My shadow setting are "GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096" and I use a GTX1070 card.

Are the problems still there, if you use our preset 1.2?

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.