Sign in to follow this  
copilot767

Default Flight planner takes 400 mb VAS

Maybe someone can help..

Today I discovered that my Default flightplanner takes about 400 mb VAS just by clicking on it, not even load a flight..

Example : Holding at gate- go to the menu bare and click flightplanner, the return to game again-- 400 mb VAS is away, not even loaded a plan ???

Quite by accident I've discovered this too today. Not sure why no-one has replied because this is a killer if you're at a complex 3rd party airport and using a complex aircraft.

In my case I am flying FSLabs Concorde-X and Aerosoft's EGLL. With a cold and dark flight saved at the gate I have around 1000Mb VAS available.

But once the Flight Planner window is opened and then closed you lose 300+Mb and if you go into the map window and load a plan you lose even more. I had under 300Mb VAS available once that planner window was closed.

There is a workaround. When at the Free Flight window load the flight plan there using the option. Because it hasn't yet loaded FSX it hasn't eaten into available VAS.

You still lose around 100Mb but that's manageable.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm not sure that if FSX allocates VAS due to planner or map it means that the VAS space is "lost".

scott s.

I'm not sure that if FSX allocates VAS due to planner or map it means that the VAS space is "lost".

scott s.

It's definitely lost Scott. In fact I 'lost' 1000Mb after opening the planner and switching to the map page. That must have a huge BMP that eats memory.

What would be very useful is a utility that you point to a flight plan and it is inserted into the FSX planner without the need to open that dialogue option. I'm make some enquiries with a friend.

I'm amazed this VAS loss has not been raised more often. Clearly not many people manually load a flight plan into FSX but if you want to use Air Traffic Manager to reduce the number of Ai aircraft it only works if a plan of your route is loaded into FSX. But doing so within FSX causes a huge amount of VAS to be consumed and never returned.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What would be very useful is a utility that you point to a flight plan and it is inserted into the FSX planner without the need to open that dialogue option.

Ray, If I remember correctly Fsuipc can add a load plan option to the add-ons menu

Page 20 of the Fsuipc user guide

Provide menu entry for plan loading: in its own Menu system FSX unfortunately only allows loading of Plans from the

default location (“My Documents\Flight simulator X Files”). This FSUIPC4 option allows loading of Plans from

anywhere within reach of a standard Explorer file selection dialogue. When checked you will find an extra entry in the

Add-Ons menu.

• Upvote 2

Glynn,

That's brilliant, thank you. I shall investigate this more tomorrow.

I've lost count of the number of times I've opened FSUIPC4 on that page but never spotted that option. Never too old to learn something new. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks!! Indeed after many years of simming I learned something new...

RTFM!!! :wink:

Edited to emphasize that I ( as in me) learned something new.. :nea: 

Edited by Holland_Holland

RobdeVries.jpg

Thanks!! Indeed after many years of simming I learned something new...

RTFM!!! :wink:

That is not very helpful. Are you honestly telling me YOU have read the entire FSUIPC4 User Guide and Advanced User Guide? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Are you honestly telling me YOU have read the entire

Hi Ray, the moment I clicked "post" I knew you might take it personally. But your post made me smile. And I was thinking: darn, after all these years I used FS and FSUIPC I never actually read the f... manual.

And I was thankful for this elegant solution because it I always asked myself why flight plans could only be stored in the default place. And after reading this thread I had my first Duh moment of 2016 ... :rolleyes:

RobdeVries.jpg

Rob,

I'm sorry if I came across as aggressive but RTFM does raise my hackles with its obvious swear word. Maybe you were directing that comment at yourself and if so, I apologise.

Pete is a genius but there's simply too much info in FSUIPC to see the wood for the trees. That's why places like this are so useful. There's always someone who knows the answer.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Could be why flying the 777 I have vas issues (I know they just released an updated version that is supposed to help) but I had "auto load flight plan" enabled, now I will uncheck it, and fly without the fmc sending the plan to fsx. I did not know this, thanks

Auto flight plan load won't cause a problem unless the flight planner window (and especially the map one) is opened. That's what kills the VAS.

I'm loading plans via the extra option now available in Addons once the option in FSUIPC4 is enabled. No loss of VAS at all.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, If I remember correctly Fsuipc can add a load plan option to the add-ons menu

Page 20 of the Fsuipc user guide

Provide menu entry for plan loading: in its own Menu system FSX unfortunately only allows loading of Plans from the

default location (“My Documents\Flight simulator X Files”). This FSUIPC4 option allows loading of Plans from

anywhere within reach of a standard Explorer file selection dialogue. When checked you will find an extra entry in the

Add-Ons menu.

Glynn, thanks for that heads-up, but I cannot see that option to load Plans in my Registered FSUIPC4.

Any pointers, please? Thanks.

Rick,

v4.948e on the Misc tab.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Got it, Ray. Thanks. See it now in the drop-down Add-ons.