Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

Animated Waves in V3

I may have an idea about what's going on with Chris and Eric... I set surface winds to 60 knots, gusts to 75 up to 2000 feet. I could see wave animation (not as nice as the video, but there was definite movement) until I rose above 2000 feet, then everything instantly stopped (2050 feet to be precise). Drop below that level, movement returned. Is the animation we see based on the wind speed the aircraft is experiencing rather than the surface winds?

Update: Creating a second wind layer from 2001 to 15000 resulted in my animations continuing at higher elevations (at least 14000 - had to zoom to see it, but it was there).

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I can confirm i wasn't seeing them because i didn't have the water in ULTRA because of that nVidia 'issue'. Nevertheless, i set it to ultra and performance is the same, so i'll leave it at that.

I can always overclock the lower state to the maximum performance if need be.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Here's an old clip back when I was using FSX with Steve's DX10SF and AS2012 water and to me this might be the best looking water I ever had. Check out the white foam on the surface of the water especially around 00:50 into the clip just like IRL!

If I could have this water in P3D I would be very happy but let's keep our fingers crossed we'll see something like this in 3.1.

Richard Åsberg

You can clearly see more water movement than I can, Kevin. Mine is as static as a house brick at 500 feet.

I think it depends on your view direction as well.  Ed's video was clearly looking towards the sun, as that's the only direction I can perceive that kind of motion in?  If I look in the opposite direction then above around 1500ft (when the 3d water disappears) then I can see that same flat sheet you do. 

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

The "flat static sheet" effect is most noticeable when I am looking towards the Sun. At least when I am looking away from the Sun, I can imagine that the water is moving!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can make a video showing wave motion in any direction. How easy it is to see is based on lighting, just like in the real world.

However, the motion is visible in all directions on my system.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Here's a quick video:

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: YouTube may take 30 mins or so to finalize it in 4K

What Rex water texture are you also using?

This is P3D default, I haven't experimented with REX 4 water textures in V3 yet (just using REX 4 sky and cloud and sun textures for now) but other's have reported good success with some REX 4 water textures.  As pointed out above, key is to make sure you have wind layers at ALL altitudes of flight (I believe this might be a bug - i.e. wave animated based on aircraft current altitude and not surface wind layer -- it has been reported to LM and hoping they can replicate).

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this, Rob. Much appreciated.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

How do I add "layers" of wind, so that there are no "gaps"?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Promise, no file management system knowledge required ;)  ... It's in your weather screen ...

1. Menu - World - Weather

2. Select "User defined weather" RB

3. Click "Customize" button

4. Click "Advanced Weather" button

5. Select "Wind" tab

6. Add layers and set their base/top heights and wind speeds (suggest you use ALL stations)

53b5485d9dc2afcc19a6d5a6e96dada3.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

holy crap - there is such an option in P3Dv3.  Where have I been sleeping.

Does this also affect ASN when enabled I haven't installed yet but about to install it in the next 30 min or so

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)