Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

I can't remember which aspect of FU everyone liked.

Terrain graphics and mesh

Realistic ATC

Floatplane physics

Flight models

VFR Cockpit view

Raindrops/sound effects

Misty weather

Flight Unlimited Editor

Well, they were the main aspects of Flight Unlimited 3 that I enjoyed :smile:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

He seems to be under the impression that there won't be an open SDK and a freeware community. I have no idea why he thinks this, but perhaps he knows something we don't?

Mr V always does this.

Terrain graphics and mesh
Realistic ATC
Floatplane physics
Flight models
VFR Cockpit view
Raindrops/sound effects
Misty weather
Flight Unlimited Editor

Well, they were the main aspects of Flight Unlimited 3 that I enjoyed

That's quite a list.

My advice is: always ignore what John Veneema says. It works wonders.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

These are all the copy pasted replies Steve gave.

There will be two aircraft in DTG Flight School. The first is the Piper PA-18 Super Cub. We will be announcing the second one next month.

Flight School is all about your journey as a pilot. From your humble beginnings as a rookie through to an accomplished pilot. This is a very personal experience and we didn’t feel that multiplayer fitted into that concept

DTG Flight School will be available for PC only

Dovetail Games Flight Simulator will be a 64-bit simulator using DirectX 11 and take full advantage of modern GPU and CPU performance. The advantage of this updated technology is that we have been able to introduce a range of globally applied techniques such as dynamic range rendering (HDR), atmospheric light scattering and physically based rendering (PBR). This means that aircraft and the environment will have the potential to look better than they have ever done before.

The downside of all this new technology is that the code bases are quite different so add-ons from FSX will not just work “out of the box”.

Naturally we will provide developers with all the tools, documentation and support they need to create great new content for this new platform and will be working closely with them during that process.

We will not be updating the flight physics in DTG Flight School, however it is something we are exploring for DTG Flight Simulator. Realism is important to me and physics plays a large part in that .

The ATC in DTG Flight School will function similar to that in FSX: Steam Edition. Flight School is all about your journey as a pilot and the current ATC system does a good job of representing what is required for that experience. In the future however, I have great interest in looking at how the system represents ATC around the world.

DTG Flight School will not include sloped runways or AI that can use them but this is something we are exploring for the future.

(Regarding multimonitor support) We are currently running tests on support for this as well as other hardware. It is certainly my aim to do so if possiible.

DTG Flight Simulator will run on Windows 7 64 bit too

(Are they working with real pilots?) Definitely - everyone from private pilots to commercial pilots. Not only that, but we have been working with former members of the ACES team as well!

We will not be bringing DTG Flight School to Xbox One or VR platforms.

(Regarding updated street/coast/lakes data) There aren't any definite improvements, however we are working on big plans regarding this that we can't talk about just yet. We look forward to sharing them with you!

The current screenshots are completely in game, but they reflect a particular time of day in-game. There will be a bigger variety of screenshots coming out in the next few weeks. Stay tuned! -

No, DTG Flight School will not support VR

I totally appreciate how important walk arounds are IRL, this is something I would like to see once we add a far greater level of simulation to the aircraft model.

(freeware content?) We recognise the passion that exists in the flight simulation community around enabling players to create user generated content. We will have more information to share on this as we get closer to the launch of Dovetail Games Flight Simulator

(terrain/airport data updated?) This comes up a lot. I am aware that a lot of the data in the flight engine is quite old, and it would be great to update it. We are currently investigating what it would take to update this data sooner rather than later.

We aren't doing a BETA for DTG Flight School but we haven't ruled it out for DFS.

Over the past 2 years, we have made our intentions clear with respect to welcoming and working with developers, both big and small, on FSX: SE. We fully intend to continue those relationships and looking forward will be welcoming both existing and new developers to the Dovetail Games Flight Simulator platform.

The entire world will be available in both DTG Flight School and DFS.

(damage models?) We aren't doing anything special with this for DTG Flight School but I do want you to care about your aircraft, so its something we are considering for the future -

Both products will be 64 bit.

DTG Flight School does not have helicopters, however I am definitely looking at what can be done to improve the flight model for helicopters at some point in the future

Flight School and Flight Simulator do share the same underlying technology. However, Flight Simulator is still in development and upon release will be a much bigger and more feature-rich experience than Flight School.

We are working on implementing achievements for both Steam and Win10 for DTG Flight School

DTG Flight School will cover the first part of the journey including LAPL and PPL, and I hope to continue the experience in DFS

Yes we have done some work to improve AI traffic in DTG Flight School

The data in FSX is somewhat out of date, so we are trying to update as many sources and components as possible. I want it to reflect today's world as much as possible

I personally love VR and this is something I think we can do great things with in the future. Watch this space!

(flight planning?) The school itself doesn't, however there is an all new flight planner in DTG Flight School which makes the process more accessible. This is something I intend to build on in the future -

DTG Flight School will not have a mission generator, however it contains a series of missions taking you up to PPL level along with free flight mode

(shadows inside cockpit?) Yes- as a result of the new lighting engine. It certainly feels more real now

We have completely overhauled the UI for DTG Flight School. It is an expression of our desire to reinvigorate the flight simulation genre and make it more accessible

• Upvote 4

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

We aren't doing a BETA for DTG Flight School but we haven't ruled it out for DFS.

In a way DTG Flight School is kind-off a BETA for DFS, because they'll be able to see how the core of the engine performs on a diverse range of hardware/systems without the possible interference of addons or other modifications, so they can fine-tune the core of the programme for DFS.

I hope both Flight School and DFS will be as rock-stable as MS Flight was (and is). Flight only crashed once on my machine - as for FSX... well... much more frequent crashes, though FSX-SE seems to be more stable.

• Upvote 1

# Flight School is all about your journey as a pilot. From your humble beginnings as a rookie through to an accomplished pilot.#

Uh! I dislike the flight school + journey+  rookie + humble beginnings + hold my hand  style of flight simulator, or should I say game.

I am in doubt, why give the Flight School the whole world scenery? Is it needed for it?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Everything I've read about DTG's plans so far make me feel positive about the future. I'm confident that they know what they're doing.

• Upvote 3

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Why, for heavens sake, must Flight! always be brought up??

Is there no understanding that the DTG's two games/sims will be based on FSX? Flight! was never on the cards, as it was the FSX engine that was licensed to them. Everyone saw a capital 'F' in "Microsoft's flight technology", not a small one.

# Flight School is all about your journey as a pilot. From your humble beginnings as a rookie through to an accomplished pilot.#

So, what they seem to have done is to take the lessons/missions out of FSX, put lipstick on it, repackaged it, 64bitted & DX1 'd it, & 'drum roll' Ta daa.... Same flipping thing. Yes, if you did all the lessons in FSX (& FS9 by the way) it would have taken you from rookie to an accomplished pilot, & you could print out a personalised certificate for your walls!!.

A beta for their new sim that will eventually arise like a phoenix from FSX's ashes? Not really, that is exactly what FSX:SE was!!

All together now..... ' Ahhhhhhhhhh '!

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I am in doubt, why give the Flight School the whole world scenery? Is it needed for it?

Probably since as a modification of FSX it was all there anyway..... so why not? Even FLIGHT had the whole world, except it was super low resolution and unpopulated. Plus, maybe experience towards Dovetail Flight Simulator.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So, what they seem to have done is to take the lessons/missions out of FSX, put lipstick on it, repackaged it, 64bitted & DX1 'd it, & 'drum roll' Ta daa.... Same flipping thing. Yes, if you did all the lessons in FSX (& FS9 by the way) it would have taken you from rookie to an accomplished pilot, & you could print out a personalised certificate for your walls!!.

A beta for their new sim that will eventually arise like a phoenix from FSX's ashes? Not really, that is exactly what FSX:SE was!!

Flying lessons are flying lessons, Taxiing, climbing, turning, stalling etc. There's not much you need in the way of variety. I'm sure they#'ll polish the finish

The missions - who wants that anyway?

The missions  - but who wants that anyway?

People who haven't been in the hobby for decades. When I was a trainer (corporate) I soon realized that the absolute worst type of teacher was one who thought that just because they themselves were now intimately familiar with a particular subject, that it should also be pretty obvious/easy for the uninitiated to learn as well, completely forgetting their own fumbling path of discovery.

I think this is exactly why Flight School is specifically targeted for new players, so experienced simulation fans will stay focused on whatever is coming at the end of the year, and not run in and overwhelm/spoil Flight school for new people.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Flying lessons are flying lessons, Taxiing, climbing, turning, stalling etc. There's not much you need in the way of variety. I'm sure they#'ll polish the finish

I'm sure they will. I remember being vectored through a mountain during one of the lessons. Fun though. I also hope they extend the lesson timer, so we dont get dumped out of the lesson too soon. The newbies will appreciate that.

I quite enjoy the discussion re the whole world scenery.. FS9 had it, FSX had it. That's where the add-on guys made money, & I'm sure they will again. It will be great to actually see how they've improved on the default scenery. Also, it's going to be interesting to see what default planes are going to be in the sim version, & which developers have partnered up with them.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Time to do a world tour in the Super Cub - great idea for a first solo - Ha ha!

And can Robin please tell me where he got the info that Flight was never on the cards and where it has been stated that DTG couldn't aquire or have a lisence to develop Flight? As I understand it both platforms were considered as starting points for the new sim and there was dialogue between former ACES folks and DTG about the process.

But all it all the news turned out to be pretty dull. I had hoped for a sim based on modern tech, like UNIGINE, but instead we're deeply rooted in the past. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, just not very exiting, and it will be very interesting to see how different DTGFS will look and perform from P3D v3.

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Also, it's going to be interesting to see what default planes are going to be in the sim version, & which developers have partnered up with them.

I bet you it's Carenado again with a few of their massive stable of GA aircraft.