Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

People who haven't been in the hobby for decades. When I was a trainer (corporate) I soon realized that the absolute worst type of teacher was one who thought that just because they themselves were now intimately with a particular subject, that it should also be pretty obvious/easy for the uninitiated to learn as well, completely forgetting their own fumbling path of discovery.

I think this is exactly why Flight School is specifically targeted for new players, so experienced simulation fans will stay focused on whatever is coming at the end of the year, and not run in and overwhelm/spoil Flight school for new people.

Erm, we have those lessons in FSX & FSX:SE, to keep the novices/newbies happy, while us experiences simulation fans can stay focused on whatever we are doing. It was convenient having a training school & sim all in one! I wonder how many of those praising the release of a Training School Sim have done the lessons?

It's a great idea from DTG on how to monetize a product.. Take an old product, test the market successfully, (thats probably called beta marketing) split the product into 2, new UI, 64bit them & charge for 2..

But all it all the news turned out to be pretty dull. I had hoped for a sim based on modern tech, like UNIGINE, but instead we're deeply rooted in the past. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, just not very exiting, and it will be very interesting to see how different DTGFS will look and perform from P3D v3.

There was another crowd on another forum, boasting that their sim could/would have the Unigine engine, but those 3 forums have been closed.

Obviously rooted in the past.. DTG got the license to re-distribute FSX. So they gained a lot of experience tweaking it.

Well, P3D is a commercial venture, governed by the needs of the training schools etc to whom the ' not for entetainment' product is targeted. If 64bit was an asked for option for them, it would have been done a long time ago.

So, DTGFS & P3D, 2x different target markets, requirements & needs. even though all comes from the root FSX engine, & the developments have forked into different directions. -- I could be mistaken.

I still pity the poor developers.. having to mod their existing installers & which to develop for..

I bet you it's Carenado again with a few of their massive stable of GA aircraft.

That was the first thing I thought of... Carenado, Virtavia, ..

This, you realise starts a whole new avenue of speculation......

:dance: :Whistle: :good:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Erm, we have those lessons in FSX & FSX:SE, to keep the novices/newbies happy, while us experiences simulation fans can stay focused on whatever we are doing. It was convenient having a training school & sim all in one! I wonder how many of those praising the release of a Training School Sim have done the lessons?

Except to modern audiences accustomed to modern gaming technology, out of the box FSX is so ugly it almost hurts the eyes. A repackaging is necessary so people don't feel like they are playing pac man! :lol:

Also, the current market is so wildly chaotic and confusing that I pity casual users trying to figure out which direction to go in. Easing people into the madness and giving newbies a place of their own, free of the current market is a very good idea.

Even leaving out an sdk and access to 3rd parties is cool, so the experience doesn't become polluted. I think DTG is being very very smart.

As far as having done the FSX lessons, the above still applies, the tech is antiquated, and in need of at the very least a repackaging for a new generation not accustomed to paying a lots of extra money just to get the product to look..... not painful.

There was another crowd on another forum, boasting that their sim could/would have the Unigine engine, but those 3 forums have been closed.

The forums are still there, just removed from the main forum listing.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Except to modern audiences accustomed to modern gaming technology, out of the box FSX is so ugly it almost hurts the eyes. A repackaging is necessary so people don't feel like they are playing pac man!

Assuming (of course) that Flight School is a lot more than just repackaged FSX graphics with a fancy training school bolted on. I am interested in the latter, but if I have to endure the former I might just not bother at all.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If anything, flight school will give us a basic preview of what a 64-bit, DirectX 11 FSX will be like, and we don't have to wait long to try it out. If the entire world is flyable, then that's pretty impressive even though we'll be stuck with the default aircraft

• Upvote 2

JV of ORBX seems to think that there will be no SDK for freeware developers for the full flight simulation? I hope he's wrong as this would be a huge mistake

He might be wrong. But he was dead right about FLIGHT not being open to 3rd parties long before it was publicly confirmed.

If anything, flight school will give us a basic preview of what a 64-bit, DirectX 11 FSX will be like, and we don't have to wait long to try it out. If the entire world is flyable, then that's pretty impressive even though we'll be stuck with the default aircraft

The whole world being flyable would make sense. It doesn't appear there are any changes going on there for the April release so why limit it? This looks like FSX recompiled to 64bit with some new HDR and scattering. A welcome addition none the less. We'll see whether they move forward later in the year.

So, DTGFS & P3D, 2x different target markets, requirements & needs. even though all comes from the root FSX engine, & the developments have forked into different directions.

different target markets, sure.

I'm not really sure that their paths otherwise are really that dissimilar. Both will ultimately be 64 bit soon enough with enhanced graphics capability. One will be more 'gamey' the other more 'serious', but fundamentally, at this point, the only differentiating factor will be the current supply of third party content. That will change soon enough.

One will cost $200, the other probably $20-30

See here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/110695-who-else-is-excited-about-the-new-dovetail-sim/?page=3#comment-996980

He seems to be under the impression that there won't be an open SDK and a freeware community. I have no idea why he thinks this, but perhaps he knows something we don't?

What he's saying is that he thinks the SDK will be not be a public release. And this jives right with what DT said about having an SDK for third party developers and them working closely together. So JV fully expects to develop products for DTG's sim but does not expect an open platform.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but their train simulator does not have an open SDK either. I think they distribute it as they see fit.

My doubts about Flight School getting the whole word is.. well.. won't you get bored of the fact you are going to have only two GA planes to fly in the world?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

My doubts about Flight School getting the whole word is.. well.. won't you get bored of the fact you are going to have only two GA planes to fly in the world?

At least you can train in the country of your choice... who cares about flightschool anyway. We're all just going to buy it to satisfy our OCD when it comes to flightsim. No other reason. I'll be bored with it within 5 minutes. I'd just like to see scratch about and see what they've done.

• Upvote 1

With so many threads popping up about these two titles here in forum it is simply not possible for me to respond to everyone and keep track of everything.

To this end I have created this thread where you can talk to me and ask questions about the upcoming sims. 

You can find the thread here

- Martin 

What he's saying is that he thinks the SDK will be not be a public release. And this jives right with what DT said about having an SDK for third party developers and them working closely together. So JV fully expects to develop products for DTG's sim but does not expect an open platform.

I'm also a little skeptical that the SDK will be free for all based on their current business model with train sim, but I have no insider knowledge like JV might, and as you say, he has been right in the past. As a freeware developer for X-Plane, I'd be very disappointed if this decision was made, as I'm sure would many people. 

Maybe one thing to consider is that if the flight simulator is mostly FSX to start with, maybe they'd be worried that people could easily hack it to run old FSX sceneries? I'm sure some clever developer will work out how to convert existing scenery eventually anyway.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure some clever developer will work out how to convert existing scenery eventually anyway.

You'd think, given that most freeware scenery is just bgl based. They say the new sim will break backwards comparability. I wonder what is changing so much that even simple bgl based stuff won't work? Or maybe it will and they just aren't advertising it?

I just hope they don't lock the sim's file structure down.

different target markets, sure.

I'm not really sure that their paths otherwise are really that dissimilar. Both will ultimately be 64 bit soon enough with enhanced graphics capability. One will be more 'gamey' the other more 'serious', but fundamentally, at this point, the only differentiating factor will be the current supply of third party content. That will change soon enough.

One will cost $200, the other probably $20-30

The ironic thing is that DTG-FS could be the more 'serious' one compared to P3D. DTG-FS will be published on Steam (the largest online game distributor), probably with a significant lower price compared to P3D, it will be specifically aimed at the entertainment market, and will be preceded by another product (Flight School) whose _only_ purpose is to attract a new generation of simmers and make them buy DTG-FS.

So, it's clear that it will surpass the number of users of P3D very soon (probably significantly), and flight sim developers go where money is, so in short time a wealth of add-ons for DTG-FS will sprinkle, and it will become the more feature rich simulator.

• Upvote 2

"Society has become so fake that the truth actually bothers people".

The ironic thing is that DTG-FS could be the more 'serious' one compared to P3D. DTG-FS will be published on Steam (the largest online game distributor), probably with a significant lower price compared to P3D, it will be specifically aimed at the entertainment market, and will be preceded by another product (Flight School) whose _only_ purpose is to attract a new generation of simmers and make them buy DTG-FS.

So, it's clear that it will surpass the number of users of P3D very soon (probably significantly), and flight sim developers go where money is, so in short time a wealth of add-ons for DTG-FS will sprinkle, and it will become the more feature rich simulator.

Exactly.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS