Sign in to follow this  
Guest marcPMDG

Explore the Land of the Rising Sun - with SU1!

>Except for the winglets, are there any other differences>between an ordinary 744 and a 744D?Yes, I think there are differences in amount of fuel you can take and landing gear is strengthened in the D version.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest FattyBear

That's right. The vortices created by the high pressure air moving to the low pressure area up top creates whats called induced drag. Induced drag actually decreases with speed, unlike parasite drag with increases with speed. These vortices are also responsible for wake turbulence caused at low speeds and ground effect. As the wing tips near the runway the vortices are cut, reducing drag and increasing lift, hence the floating effect near the runway.

Hello,according to "Airlife's airliners" the D's can be easily converted to full range -400's, there are provisions for the attachments of winglets.According to the book this is done to use the engines on short hauls in their first years, and on long hauls later on.Wijnand

Joe,Just take it as a poetic way to announce the upcoming 744 service update which will, amongst lots of other features (new and improvements), allow to simulate the 744D version. And the B747-400D is operated only and soleley by those two japanese carreers, JAL and ANA.I strongly recommend to everyone to download from the Avsim Library the very nice meshes for Japan, I guarantee some VERY nice flights.(Japan is almost only mountains, not talking about Mount Fuji)

Does the SU1 also allow eliminating the stabilizer fuel tanks?Most 744Ds do not have stab tanks fitted to my knowledge.Regards,Kris

Guest Marc Harrington

No. It is mainly a visual feature. But by keeping the stab tanks empty, you got yourself a D. :)Cheers!

Actually it is my understanding that most of them do have the tank(s), its just not used. In other words a -400 domestic can become a "standard" -400 with a "relatively" short time being out of the schedule. The intention there is that provides JAL and ANA the flexibility of balancing the cycles on their 747 fleet. Those "domestics" amass some serious cycle's with relatively short total flight hours.BestBill

>No. It is mainly a visual feature. But by keeping the stab>tanks empty, you got yourself a D. :)>>Cheers!>>OK, I do hope however that the upcoming freighter eliminates the stab tanks. There they are not fitted. BTW stab tanks are option, and the FAA as an AD out there that restricts their use, rendering them worthless for many airlines that ordered them.Cheers,Kris

Gee, excuse for being curious on the freighters (Marcs reply was around the domestics)...Very friendly environment here indeed. ;-)Kris

Guest mwampler

>Very friendly environment here indeed. ;-)>>KrisJust a few that like to play flame squad if they feel your posts don't meet their standards for relevance, Kris. You have to wear your helmet on these forums on occasion. ;)On the topic: I thought I read somewhere that stab tanks are almost never used, even in those ships that have them.