Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG-GoFlight MCP Pro Interface Released!

Mark,the thing is with MD-11 and A320, you can't really use the MCP Pro with those, not because of PMDG, but because of the different designs of pilot interaction on the respective MCP (or FCP or FCU in those cases).Both on the A320 AND the MD-11 you do not only turn and push the buttons but also PULL them. A device which can not give you that option is not really of much use I'm afraid. One example: To instruct the MD-11 autopilot to fly a heading would require you first to dial the heading on your MCP Pro, and then use the mouse to pull the heading switch. Not very practical I think... Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

What about Go flight's EFIS?Would that be part of the interface too? Or is that seperate? if so...are there any plans for that interface?Thanks.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Manny-the GoFlight EFIS module is already entirely functional with the PMDG GF MCPPro driver, but not 100% supported, as GoFlight still needs to fix a firmware issue that manifests itself in some of the v1.01 hardware. They have identified it and will be producing a firmware update very soon, they promise.Bottom line is, if you buy our PMDG GF MCPPro driver interface, the EFIS module works fine (with the above caveat).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest rhammond

Well Guys,I have no clue what is causing this I/O problem between PMDG 737-900 and GF MCP Pro. Just to add some troubleshooting aids, GF MCP Pro works well with LevelD. Everything including scenery is smooth. The sim is fitted with GF MCP Pro, GF EFIS, GF Throttles, radio, GF-T8, yoke and peddles. The PC is built around Intel Core 2 6800 supporting two Gforce 7950 GPUs each driving two displays (total 4 displays). The system has 2 Gig of RAM. OK as mentioned, LevelD performs very well and the GF MCP response is fast. The system itself is holding frame rates at 25. As for the EFIS that functions through GF keys, I have to click the mouse to stall the system long enough to get focus, then the EFIS responds well. GF-T8 is configured through GFConfig and only receives indicator lights reflecting selections on LevelD 767 virtual panel. Inputs configured through GFConfig do not function from GF-T8 (LevelD compatibility).The first thing that was noticed with PMDG 737-900 was bumpy graphics. Frame rates seemed to be solid at 25, but a slight jitter was noticed giving us the impression that GPU bandwidth may be to high. No config adjustments seemed to change this condition and we decided that we would live with it (i.e., this was a very small jitter). Prior to undocking and setting up the simulator with PMDG 737, we checked GF MCP Pro performance. The PC inputs on the aircraft panel responded quickly to MCP Pro changes, however, outputs back to the MCP Pro for segment displays either locked up blank for a few seconds or responded slowly (should be no GPU load). All other GF equipment performed as programmed through GF config (i.e., Unlike LevelD, everything including the GF-T8 worked perfectly with PMDG 737-900)--very happy with this! After the sim was setup the aircraft was cleared and takeoff commenced. It was noticed that the MCP Pro stopped responding (locked up with last entries)! The PMDG 737 LCD panel on the PC continued to function with the mouse and GF EFIS still worked so we assumed that the GF MCP Pro driver was now corrupted by something that happened. We paused the flight, unplugged the MCP Pro, Plugged it back in and it was recognized, then re-attached to PMDG 737 with PMDG connection aid. The MCP Pro now functioned again. The next thing I tried was pulling the MCP USB and configuring system with GF Config for no MCP. When PMDG was up and running in the sim, we plugged in the GF MCP and connected (GFConfig does not know it exists). The MCP Pro did not lock up in flight, but the response continued to be very slow and sometimes unmanageable on approaches.Anyway to sum up, PMDG 737 does have a very small jitter in the graphics which could be contributed to the complexity of the sim and may require me to bump up our CPU, however, we can live with this and I believe a tweak on our system can improve this condition. On the other hand, the GF MCP pro's slow response does not seem to have any rhyme or reason. It is simply there and our troubleshooting methods have been exhausted. I am willing to spend whatever it takes to find this I just need some more clues! If there are no ideas from others, I will continue to spend time on this problem because it will surface again on another Sims.Any help will be appreciated. Our sim is to fly on PMDG technology.Rick Hammond

Guest NASSAC

I have been trying to get the Goflight MCP control to work with the PMDG 737-800/799/600 but all I get is Alt hold working. I can't set VS when I hit VS the VS indicator lights up but the dial does nothing. Also the Speed and heading dials do nothing. The MCP is engaged. When I press hold course it will turn to the course heading but I can't change the course heading. I am using Project Magenta software and I get no indications on the PFD that the MCP is in any mode whatsoever. I am using Goflight version 1.6 installed and reinstalled the MCP drivers for the PMDG 737 and the lic. key as instructed. the MCP connects but will not function properly. It is useless as it is. x I am also set to compatable addon in Goflight setup.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. J.abent@mchsi.comJohn

Guest NASSAC

I found the problem with the MCP dials not working. I didn't know I had to keep it in the 2d or virtual cockpit view to keep the MCP working. This is not good news for us cockpit builders. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of building the cockpit. This is going to have to be fixed in future driver or firm ware updates if I am ever going to be satisfied as a home cockpit builder. I bought the MCP so I wouldn't have to use the computer generated instrument. Is thethere a way to make this work with out being in the 2d or 3d mode with the inttrument panels showing? I had the following problems with the MCP when I did have it working in the 2d mode:1. Speed dial and readout went crazy and I couldn't stop it from cycling. I had to shut the MCP down and reengage it.2. The same thing happened with the heading indicator and dial. I am still in the learning mode so I am not sure if the problems are with me, the MCP or the drivers. Please advise me as to what you think. j.abent@mchsi.com

Dear John-I am unsure as to how you are operating your system, as you mention that you're using our PMDG 737NG family with Project Magenta - this operation will never be supported by PMDG, as the Project Magenta software replaces panels and systems logic.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

John-I also tried what you suggested (once again) - i.e. to use the MCP Pro hardware while I was in Spot View... everything works as expected.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest vicvig

HiI used to have a similar problem using the MCPPRO and EFIS with the Level-D 767.The MCP would lock up after some time.I found out that the problem was that both the MCP and the EFIS draws 500mA from the USB port so my USB hub couldnt cope.After connecting them to two different (and powered) USB hubs I have not had the problem.Perhabs this is the same problem for you.With this said I still find the response to rotating knobs on the MCP, when usen with PMDG, is very slow.I have to rotate the knobs for a very long time when I need to make changes in speed or altitude.YoursOle

Guest rhammond

Ole,You are correct. The EFIS/MCP Pro on the same hub will not work because of the PS load! Lefteris Kalamaras had it right from the start (USB problem). What I could not figure is LevelD working so well with the configuration. I appreciate this comment very much. I will forward this info to GF. Thanks for the help!Rick

Guest iain williams

HelloI wanted to respond to what Jon has said.Jon, I beleive you have made some good points, however, I can see the argument from both sides.The flight models from PMDG are relatively well priced when you consider the immense time outlay required to get these models to operate correctly (and for the most part they operate as they should).The hardware from either CP Flight (Italy), Go Flight (USA) or any other manufacturer is outrageously priced! $700.00 USD for a MCP from Go Flight is an outlandish price to pay for a chunk of plastic with a few diodes and electronics. It

Guest Brett458

Hi Guys,I recently purchased the GF-MCP Advanced Autopilot NOT the MCP Pro. When I got it I then realised that it wouldnt work with the one and ONLY aircraft I fly (the 744F). I have it working using FSUIPC but with no numbers or LED`s,my question is If I purchase the PMDG drivers for the MCP Pro will my GF-MCP work with them properly???Thanks in advance...Brett

Hi Brett-the answer to that is No - it will not work. The PMDG drivers are designed to work exclusively with the GF MCPPro and EFIS hardware.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest rhammond

Hey folks,I thought I would come back one more time on Go Flight's MCP Pro. We have rigorously tested this unit with both PMDG 737NG and LevelD 767 simulators. I thought I would just post my conclusions in hope that someone may have the same problems or may have a solution.First of all, the GF hardware works in entirety with the PMDG 737NG simulator; not all of the GF hardware, however, works with LevelD simulator. When using the GF MCP Pro with the PMDG 737NG, the response is extremely slow and LED segments tend to fall behind and in some cases go blank. For example, when adjusting heading, the altitude indicator drops a segment or two. In some cases the MCP Pro's segment displays go blank and lock up, even though the simulator panel continues to respond to MCP Pro adjustments; In some cases, however, the MCP Pro locks up (i.e., does not transmit or receive) completely and will not function until the USB connection has been re-established (no USB faults posted by Msoft). Furthermore, there are times when setting up front coarse at the gate for the assumed destination airport runway heading, the MCP Pro locks up completely requiring exiting FS9. Now, we could assume that this is a USB problem, but the MCP Pro runs perfectly with the LevelD 767. Response time with LevelD is fast and there are no lockups or blanking LED segments. We also took the time to give the MCP Pro a separate powered HUB and a separate USB controller on the PC. This made no difference when using the MCP Pro with PMDG 737NG. We have also gone through Bios to insure that there are no shared interrupts ect

Rick-when you say "we", who're you referring to?Also- have you contacted GoFlight on this topic? They've asked a couple others whose MCPPro unit showed the same behavior to return for service, so I'd suggest you talk to them about it too.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg