Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

Hurricane Dean - Now on the ASX Radar

Think I'll plan a flight out of TBPB - Grantley Adams Intl, Barbados.EDIT: Sorry for the cross-post, didn't realize until now Dean was already being discussed at the bottom of the "Flossie Anyone?" thread and was depecited in ASX as early as yesterday.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176764.jpg

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Oh man, that thing is getting big. Too bad i'm stuck here at work. Looks good. Let us know how it is inside that thing. :(

BTW, since installing SP1, I have been flying with the default ASX settings and also reduced max-visability and max-upper-winds becuase I mostly use the LDS767sp1. What must I have enabled/disabled (different from the default install) to best depict a Hurricane? Obviously I'm not too worried about the LDS wind-sheer issue on a special flight like this, so what is graphically the best?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hmm, I'm pretty sure most of my settings are default. Although I did turn up number of 'layers' depicted from 5-7. That one can be hard on the frame rates though. I set most all of the mins to min and the max's all the way to max as far as wind is concerned.The other thing I changed was the download interval from 10 minutes to 5. I had vitual stations disabled, but a re-enabled it and it seemed to help fill in the blank areas transitioning to the hurricane. But other than that this is a good question for Damien.

Thanks Scott. Virtual stations was really the one I was most curious about. Agree with the # of cloud-layers. I routinely run it around 10 or 12 layers as well.For best hurricane-hunting graphics and depiction, I'm wondering about the following settings irregardless of CPU performance:(maybe best for HiFi's opinion here?)- Dynamic Rate of Change- Create Virtual Stations- Enhance Route Coverage- Enable Skyscape mode- Use Skyscape for Stratus- Covak Cloud Generation- No Data Cloud Generation- Cirrus Cloud Generation- Stratus Cloud OccuranceI wonder what the best XGraphics textures for Hurricane-hunting are too?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I rechecked the manual, and it doesn't offer an optimum setting suggestion for depicting hurricanes. I guess we'll have to experiment to fill in the blanks unless HIFI can has a suggestion. I guess it is somewhat subjective and performance oriented.

Hi,As always, recommended settings are defaults... We don't recommend changing anything specifically in order to do a "hurricane flight" vs. a normal flight.The only critical options are that Create Virtual Stations and Generate Hurricanes are selected. Without these hurricanes (and associated virtual station generation techniques) cannot be generated.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hello !I'm just now in Dean with B737 at FL100.The graphic depiction of hurricane is very good.I took off from Lamentin and fly direct 125 to Dean eye.Eye of hurricane was depicted perfectly with blue sky, the circle of clouds around the plane and a good visibility over the sea.But I have just a remark :-( Beetween entering hurricane at west and eye of hurricane, the wind at FL30, FL60, FL100, FL180 stayed constant at 185/80 without any turbulence (settings turbulence min 25%, max 100%) and heavy rain.In the eye (where the wind must be near inexistent) wind 155/75Beetween the eye and east part of hurricane, wind still 185/85 (IMHO the wind direction must rotate around the eye) and still no turbulence.Is it normal or is hurricane depiction only graphic candy ?Anyway, ASX is a wonderful enhancement to FSX and a great progress from AS6.5.Pierre Neel LFBE

Dean doesn't seem to be appearing for me, below is a picture from ASX.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176786.jpgNo sign of Dean, I've refreshed the wx a few times with no results...any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Depict Hurricanes and Virtual Stations are both selected in the options menu.Thanks,Dave

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Hi Jim, problem seems to be solved. I had disabled automatic downloads because I think they may be causing me other crashing problems (still investigating that one), so instead I had just been manually refreshing the weather after ASX started up...however it seems this was not actually downloading the most recent weather. Once I re-enabled automatic weather downloads, everything is as it should be.Time to go fly through a hurricane!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Guest Stryker412

I'm in the hurricane, shouldn't I see more cloud cover? This is with all default settings and virtual stations/hurricanes depicted checked.200781%38%301956656du4.jpg

Guest Stryker412

Are you referring to cloud coverage or cloud draw distance? Also if you don't want abrupt weather changes in game like FSX default, what setting should Dynamic rate of change be set to?