Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martinlest2

Out of Memory - any more advice on the old chestnut?

Hi.I am (still) getting Out-of-Memory errors, mostly when flying complex payware a/c like PMDG 737s into busy airports. After spending dozens of hours on this, and reading probably hundreds of posts on this forum, (OoM, /3GB switches, use of address space etc - for example):http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search.. I am almost at the point of giving up on it; just wondered if anyone has any further advice before I do so. The screenshot shows that there is still 350MBs of RAM available when the OoM message pops up. I just watch Task Manager show the amount of RAM left going down and down as I approach the destination airport. Am I correct in thinking that with 2GBs of RAM, 1GB is available for FS9 + applications like Active Sky, with the other 1GB for the O/S. In that case, what has used up its 1GB allocation, FS9 or XP?What have I done so far?...- I have increased the Page File to 3.5 GBs, plus 4 GBs on another disc, but clearly the system isn't using anywhere near this amount, so that was probably pointless. I've removed the Page file and reinstated it (several times), as a corrupt PF has also been blamed.- I have tried various tweaks recommended here and elsewhere. I got very good results in so far as OoM is concerned when I tried the /3GB switch (people said I would see a benefit even though I only had 2GBs) plus the appropriately tweaked fs9.exe file : no OoMs. Only probably was, no matter how low (or high) I set the /Userva= option, I got huge texture loading problems, with ground textures permanently very blurred. So I had to give up on that.- I reduced traffic density in FS, turned down other sliders...- I have analyzed what is loading with Process Monitor and eliminated problems with files like bitmaps that FS is continually searching for and not finding.- Use programmes that only load the scenery and a/c I am using during a particular flight.... and probably a whole lot of other things that I just can't recall as I type this.The options I have (apart from wiping FS9 off my PC once and for all) seem to be the following:1. Get more physical RAM. I already have 2GBs. Using FS9 with XP Pro, maybe I could go up to 3GBS. On the other hand, all I have read on this OoM problem stresses that this is NOT related to physical memory, so I don't think this will help, apart from maybe giving me a bit of extra time before FS9 crashes to the OoM window. Besides, I've thrown enough money at FS9 one way or another so don't really want to start spending again in the vague hope it will help things.2. Get XP 64-bit. Another financial outlay and unknown quantity as far as I am concerned (in practice at least). But if this were a way to prevent OoM?....3. Give up using complex payware a/c (I never have this problem with say iFDG or Posky a/c). In that case, I'd lose interest in FS altogether I think - much of the pleasure is programming the CDU and so forth!4. Give up with FS9 and get FSX (do people get OoM problems with FSX too?). A last ditch option with all the FS9 software I have that won't work in FSX.Or, as I say, find another hobby entirely. Difficult after all these years: I get painful withdrawal sysmtoms if I don't fly pretty much every day!Martin :-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190621.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190622.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Your basic problem is that those dual 512mB graphics cards are eating your OS memory allocation - that's what caused the problem with the /3GB switch and your userva problems. More physical ram will probably not help.>>Am I correct in thinking that with 2GBs of RAM, 1GB is available for FS9 + applications like Active Sky, with the other 1GB for the O/S. In that case, what has used up its 1GB allocation, FS9 or XP?<< No, this is not correct. See the interminable (and excellent!) discussions by n4gix in this forum and the FSX forum (there's one going on right now, in fact).I have an old single processer 2.8Ghz system with 2GBytes of memory, a lowline nVidia 6200 256 MB card, and use the /3Gbye switch. I can fly (with minimum blurries, 90% AI, GE, and ActiveSky) the LD 767, PMDG 747, et al, for more than 6 hours from and to the most complex airports without an OOM.I am willing to bet that with a single graphics card of more limited memory and the /3GB switch you'll never see another OOM.DJ

Hi,I was getting memory CTD's myself, I also noticed that my PF was well above 1GB. It turned out to be a memory leak, once I found the file and removed it, my PF never went above about 900mb and I never had another OOM error. I notice yours is 1.49GB, not sure if this is your problem but its worth looking into.

You think I should disable one of the graphics cards in Device Manager then? Worth a try I suppose.As for a memory leak, if that is the case I can't see what I can do further to trace it. I enable/disable sceneries as I use them, as I say, but I tend to "run out of available memory" just about anywhere I fly to if the airport is detailed enough and I am flying a PSS/PMDG etc. aircraft. I can see RAM draining away in Task Manager and the 'private Bytes' going up and up in Process Monitor, but I have no clues as to exactly what is using up the RAM like this.M.

" ...You think I should disable one of the graphics cards in Device Manager then?".. and retry the /3GB switch. What do you have the userva value set to?M.

I definitely think you should try to disable one of your video cards and then try the /3GB switch. I have a my userva set to 2900 to accomodate my 8800 GT 512MB.I have NEVER had another OOM after switching to this config, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it once you have a video card with more than 512MB (or possibly 640MB).Here's my boot.ini:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition /3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2900Remember that you have to change the FS9.exe so "App can handle >2gb addresset" using the CFF Explorer program.I would copy the details, but I only have a hardcopy of the instructions; I'm hoping the details are in that other message that you referenced.James

I had this problem constantly for a long time before...I tried everything from the 3GB switch, pages files, etc.Then I started doing a little more research on this site and other FS sites and found something from around 2003 or so...my memory is a bit foggy.Ultimately, my problem was having landclass files in the scenery folders when there are textures in the texture folders. For some reason, this causes a memory leak in FS9. I'm not 100% sure if the scenario above is entirely accurate (some one feel free to correct me), but ultimately the Scenery folder containing the landclass files cannot have a Texture folder...Here is my example:- say you have a scenery such as VHHH- In your D:FS9Addon SceneryVHHH folder you have a "Scenery" and "Texture" folder. - If there are any LC files in the "Scenery" folder, you will have a memory leak because you have textures in the "Texture" folder.- All LC files should be moved into a separate folder without a Texture folder. Mine is D:FS9FSMLandclass that only contains a "Scenery" folder without the accompanying "Texture" folder.What I did to acheive this was download FlightSim Manager from this site and ran the "Locate Landclass files" in the diagnostic tools. (I realize that FlightSim Manager doesn't work now in 2008...just quickly set your computer to 2005 or earlier to fool the program into working...it will work...then reset to 2008 when you're done!)FS Manager will automatically relocate your LC files. It found 6 files on my system that were not in the right place (from freeware scenery AND payware... :()I also ran "ScanAFD" from this site to make sure I didn't have duplicate AFCADS which can cause crashes.Since I did all this, I've never ran into a problem and never ran out of memory. I have tons of scenery and over 300 AI traffic files running. It worked in my case...I hope this can help you too.PS - I still don't run the 3GB switch to this day and have NO problems.Devin

Yeah, you're absolutely right on this memory leak. I don't remember the specifics either.Applying the /3GB switch assumes that the "leaky" configuration has been confirmed to not exist; otherwise, it's pointless.James

FYI -If you use FS Manager there is a patch for it at Flightsim which works but perhaps even better is the Run As Date program.It allows you to run any outdated program without going to the trouble of resetting your computer date and then correcting it afterwards.Check it out here:http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RunA...load-74129.htmlHope this is of interest.

Yeah...I have the patch...but its taboo for some reason ;PAs for the other program...cool! Great little utility to store away!! Thanks!

Hi,I had one Landclass file in my addons/scenery folder. Once I removed that file and placed it in its own addons sub folder the problem was gone.

Hey Martin, sorry to hear your troubles are still brewing.As posted above, your additional video card is whats eating your VA.As explained by Phil Taylor your VA is limited to 4GB no matter what your hardware is. If your giving 25% of that to your video cards I would be willing to bet you won't see an OOM error again.The 3GB fix has cured them for me. I could never do a flight longer than 1.5 hours or I was sure to get them. Now I have been flying legs that I would never have dreamed of before. KSEA - KBOS and EGLL - KORD for example. Using the PMDG 747, UT and payware addon airports. Something I could only dream of before I leanred this little hack.Only catch is I cannot use AES with the 3GB fix. It's a known problem that Oliver is still trying to wrap a fix around. I know you are part of that thread as well but I'll link it for others who may be having problems>>>http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=17418As suggested above I vote you should remove one of your crads and start with 2560 and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies folks.I did already post some time ago (I think to a forum such as Aerosoft's, or similar, given that most 'respectable' payware scenery developers also put landclass bgls into their main scenery folder: it was hard to believe that they were making a mistake in doing this) about whether I should let FS Manager relocate all my LC files: I do have all files specifically labelled LC, or otherwise known to be LC files, in separate folders - without a texture folder, though there are, I know, many which are not easy to identify as such from their names alone. The concensus (from Aerosoft, UK200, or whoever I posted to) was a clear 'no, it's not necessary' - can't quite recall why. So I didn't do it. I will try this now, though I am still a bit unhappy about moving files from some of my payware scenery folders.(I did post a link here to RunAsDate myself a few months ago BTW - may be you got it from me David? :-) It's certainly very useful).Will also try (if the LC option doesn't help) disabling one of my graphics cards and reinstating the /3GB switch: I have the patched FS9.exe backed up somewhere.It may take a while to get any worthwhile results, but I'll post back when I do. As someone noted in one of these OoM threads, sudden 'cures' have often proved not to be so after a day or two, so I want to give any changes I might a proper work through before posting back to say something worked. If I ever get to that stage, of course..Martin

.. and yes, I'd forgotten. The /3GB tweak scuppers my AES installation, so until Oliver finds a solution to that I'd not be too happy about reinstating it.

The post I referred to above is here. Mathijs says that there have never been any reported problems due to Aerosoft including its landclass files in the main scenery folder: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?sh...557entry86557As far as I recall the problem of memory drainage with landclass files is only when there is an empty texture folder, or the texture folder does not contain any bitmaps included in the landclass bgl file text. No?Martin

More! The extract below sort of explains the landclass situation I think (taken from Flightsim Manager help file).Flightsim Manager locates a huge number of Landclass bgls (2162 to be precise!) in my FS9 setup, but since I only ever have the scenery areas active in FS that are relevant to my current flight, they cannot be causing problems even if there are any 'rogue' files present. For instance, I flew EGPF to EGLL yesterday and got an OoM crash just before landing. The only LC active was Ultimate Terrain Europe, plus some other specific UK LC files which are in a separate scenery folder with no texture folder associated.Reckon I should go on and try the single graphics card option now, but if anyone has any further comments re. landclass...----------------------------------------------"LandClass File: .. this file is to replace the default terrain. The terrain engine will by default search for its landclass textures in the companion texture subfolder. If it finds none, it will use the terrain textures located in the default sceneryworldtexture folder. However, the memory consumed by this search will not be released.If you must install landclass files to a custom location, create ONLY a scenery subfolder. That way the terrain engine will not search for something that doesn't exist--a companion texture subfolder. Instead it will go directly to the default terrain texture subfolder and will not consume memory".

<>Sorry to demolish another myth - Just had one 3 days ago.3Gb switch installed correctly, 2Gb RAM, Single 8800GT card, etc.Spent 2 days checking FS9 but couldn't find anything wrong. ReinstalledFS9 last night.Regards

I didn't manage to finish my test flight (something came up in the real world!) but half-way through it, with only one graphics card (no /3GB switch) my RAM usage was just the same as yesterday when I ran the same flight with two cards active, about 70%. Once near a main airport that's going to go up, and then we all know what happens.M.

Please stop spreading false information: dual graphics cards do NOT cause OOM errors! I am running dual graphics cards (ATI HD3870s) in Cross-Fire X with a total of 2GB of video memory and 4 GPUs and have never, EVER had an OOM error. The issue is 90% usually attributed to an addon causing the OOM. You have 1 of 2 choices. 1. Move to a 64-bit OS which can handle more memory space therefore having the ability to handle the problem with one of your addons, or, 2. find and isolate the addon causing the problem.There is no need to disable a video card for any reason except a bad video card.

I don't think he was saying that two video cards per se cause OoMs on all PCs. And several other people have told me the same thing over the past few days. I am sure by the way that half the stuff on this site is 'false information' - people think they have a solution and it turns out not to be so. Whatever you read on a forum like this has to be treated with some scepticism even though it's posted with the best possible intentions. Much of it is spot on, but no use getting tetchy if something proves not to be so. :-)As it is, I've reinstated my 2nd. card - made no difference whatsoever, as you rightly say it wouldn't. I can't see any problems now software wise, so 64-bit may be something to consider now. The general advice I have received on this is get Vista 64, not XP as the latter is not going to be supported much longer (so no new hardware drivers will appear for one thing). Seems reasonable, even though I had XP installed on my latest (FS-dedicated) machine rather than Vista 32. You agree?Thanks,Martin

>.. and yes, I'd forgotten. The /3GB tweak scuppers my AES>installation, so until Oliver finds a solution to that I'd not>be too happy about reinstating it.What I do to work around the AES with /3GB problem, is to start the flight at a AES enabled airport and start the flight. Then I switch over to my real departure airport.AES only seemed to crash in my case when departing from a non AES enabled airport to a AES enabled airport. Since always starting at a AES airport, I haven't had anymore crashes.