Sign in to follow this  
Guest melevine

What do you do in "Real Life"..when you aren't simming?

Guest melevine

Those of us (from around the world) that enjoy this wonderful hobby are probably a very diverse collection of people. I was curious if anyone has ever asked for feedback as to "What we all do in our REAL lives when we aren't flying from our desks?" Just curious!I'm a Pediatric Dentist, age 55, been flight simming since 1989.R/Mike

>Those of us (from around the world) that enjoy this wonderful>hobby are probably a very diverse collection of people. I was>curious if anyone has ever asked for feedback as to "What we>all do in our REAL lives when we aren't flying from our>desks?" Just curious!>>I'm a Pediatric Dentist, age 55, been flight simming since>1989.>>R/MikeI am in law enforcement, have been for the past 30+ years looking forward to retirement in the next several years.Been simming since Sublogic came out in the early 80's with a flight simulator.Still enjoy the thrill of completing a successful landing in near zero visibility.Be safe:)Kenny G.

Guest DreamFleet

I am retired from a business I owned, one I inherited from my father, which was an off-shoot of the business founded by my grandfather: http://www.betson.com. That's short for "Betti and Sons". I wanted to become an airline pilot, and was on that route, but when my father died in 1978, the business called!Otherwise, I get my enjoyment by sharing my love of flying via the FS add-ons we produce, and also flying my Piper Dakota. :-)FS allows me to enjoy what I really love most: Flying, computers and photography / computer graphics.I am actually happy that I strayed from the airline career, as I always wanted to work for TWA, and at the age of 46, that would not have been the best deal for me now!Thankfully, I do not depend on producing FS add-ons for a living. I / DF just want a return on the many hours we invest producing them.I say that due to a recent post here, where someone suggested that I was flying my Dakota on the "backs" of our FS customers!My family owned Pipers, and I had a pilot's license since before the PC was invented (1975 in my case).So, what do I do when I am not "simming"? Producing stuff for simmers, and..... well, keeping busy! ;-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. I am a carpenter. 58 years old and getting younger every day by flying about in the virtual world. We bought the computer for some other reason! and I got FS9 as a non-violent game to see what it was like and to pass some time with. In fact I have become hopelessly hooked and my partner now only has very limited access to the machine to do her work, and I keep telling her to get her own if she wants to spend so much time on it!! I am just praying she never fires up FS9.Andy.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/114438.jpgHooked.

good background info Lou, I was always curious. Never thought anyone really made much money with this 'add on' stuff (probably lucky to even recoup but I doubt it).I thought at one time you were in radio or broadcasting, not sure why, just heard it somewhere.Me, I am an architect (aviation, industrial) with David Evans and Associates (deainc.com). Been a PPL since late '88.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest rleiro

I'm a sworn translator. Besides speaking English and Spanish I speak a little French and German. I'm almost 30 and living in Caracas.Simmer from FS95, and joined Veneaviones in 2002 with Arnoldo, Oscar and Juan. Currently working in a freeware King Air 200 we hope to release soon... Future projects? many, we hope to be around for a while yet ;).Kindest Regards from Venezuela,

I am retired now aged 65 in the UK and was in Ready mixed concrete as a Plant Manager for 38 years.Been simming for around 10 years and into helos but like the "big jets" too. Have spent a fortune on addons but enjoyed it.Still get the buzz in preparing for take off and landing and like flying into and around Spain.

Hello Mike,I am 67 and retired from managing a medical equipment company in Europe. I started flightsimming on Sinclair's Spectrum. I also have an Ultralight pilot licence. I spend most of my computer time on flightsimming and video editing.J.J. http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

if i'm not simming,i'm trying to understand this strange world i was born into.somehow,this planet is the wrong one,and that gives me loads of stress.also,i am repainting,or surfing the web.i used to be a warehouse employee,on the road to truckdriver,butsomehow,i ended up being diagnosed Asperger/ADHD and a Depression,and i'm still working hard to become just normal enough to fit in your world a littlebit.i'm also revalidating from a back injury.in a year or maybe 2 i should be able to workagain(according to doctors and folks like that),and i can't wait.being at home sux,and i'm happyi at least can escape to my own world of virtual flight.tataJP.

Great thread Mike,I'm 39 and am a licensed A.M.E. (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer)in CYYC working for an airline that operates B727's under contract to FedEx Canada. My other hobby is radio control aircraft so you can see that aviation is in my blood.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Good idea for a topic! I'm 41 years old, and have been a web designer/developer for 10 of those years. Before that I was a commercial photographer and graphic designer for another 10. Right now, in addition to trying to produce a few FS addons, I'm also working on a couple of novels with an eye towards becoming a writer at some point. Can't stick in one place for long, or the moss begins to grow!Edit: Good lord, I got my own age wrong. Maybe I should have taken that ginko biloba while I could remember where I put it ;-)

Guest RsZ

Im studying at Silesian University of Technology.Im already at the end of my 4 year (Menagemant and safety systems).I think that i'll be working on a local airport in the future (it's my dream anyway:).Im almost married and yes, She hate FS!:)Greetz from Poland

Hi,I'm an IT consultant/developer, 42 and living in the Netherlands.Since 1985 I'm a weekly visitor of the AFAS meetings (Annonymous Flightsim Addicts Supportgroup)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Hi What an interesting thread.I`m 31, a Database Engineer. Have about 38 hours of my private ticket but medical constraints (hence rottenlungs) mean aviation is nothing more than a hobby for me.My first child is due in about 10 days time so I get the feeling my life will never be the same again. Nice to hear everyone`s backgrounds. I see that at 31 I am at the younger end of the serious Simmer crowd! CheersLungs

I can relate. I like to call this planet backwards world. Everything that should be a certain way, is the exact opposite. Flight Sim definately helps with that stress even though my interests are really not working myself into the grave just to stay alive with a decent (if you can call it that) salary.