Sign in to follow this  
fsx

How technically correct do you fly ?

Hi guysWhen it come to FS we all have different approaches to it. Some are systems purists, others enjoy casual visual flying. I really enjoy the visual aspect of FS - and although I appreciate the complexity of modern day simming, I honestly don't think I'd get any real enjoyment from spending hours trying to operate numerous virtual complex flightdeck systems. I think some people don't use a view outside of the cockpit at all! Although I spend as much time as I can afford on flightsim, I fall into the latter catagory. For me thats more fun.How do you guys like to fly and what draws you to FS ?Eric

Guest Brad757

For me its the thought of "visiting" places i am unable to do so. I must admit i fall into the category of sitting behind the panel for much of the flight (LDS 767)which could be boring if i were to just sit staring at the panel for hours on end. Medium hall and i'll do a few chores around the house while the autopilot does the work. Great feeling touching a big plane down.Brad.

Guest mattriggins

>Hi guys>>When it come to FS we all have different approaches to it. >Some are systems purists, others enjoy casual visual flying. I>really enjoy the visual aspect of FS - and although I>appreciate the complexity of modern day simming, I honestly>don't think I'd get any real enjoyment from spending hours>trying to operate numerous virtual complex flightdeck systems.> I think some people don't use a view outside of the cockpit>at all! Although I spend as much time as I can afford on>flightsim, I fall into the latter catagory. For me thats more>fun.>>How do you guys like to fly and what draws you to FS ?>>EricI fly only GA for VFR flights. I see no point in leaving flight sim for 3 hours with auto pilot on and going off and doing something. You might as well just take off, and when at cruising altitude use the map to move yourself to where you want to land haha. But, many like that and hey if that's what you enjoy, more power to you :)I built a Cessna simulator because I like VFR and short to medium haul flights, scenery and some procedures. I use VoxATC because I like the voice (more real world) interaction with air traffic control and the physical gauges, GPS etc for cockpit/panel interaction. Check out the webiste of the sim below and you can view my blog for some great settings for VFR flight/scenery settings. I have a recent movie also flying out of KPDX using the FlightScenery.com portland package (which is just amazing scenery) if you want to get a feel for how I fly.Blue skies!

I fly both ways.I like it technically correct because I am a AMT working on 767 fleet(that's why I bought LDS 767). Sometimes I like to fly with the Cesna to visit very small places and appreciate the landscapes. I use real flight maps to fly even with the GA though, and necer use GPS.Rgds

Middle of the road for me I suppose - love to operate the big birds but not to fs2crew level of realism.But also like me some casual GA too - currently on my way to Glacier Bay to start some sight-seeing in a turbo Beaver :)regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

Guest DK8290

I'm not very much into the technical. Currently I'm just flying airliners (in the past I was into GA and others more) but mainly doing touch & go's at one airport or between several close together (right now, around Hong Kong and Macau). I'm not flying far and just liking the feeling of approach and landing so I'm maximizing that. Right now I'm mainly centred around Hong Kong's old Kai Tak using these addons;kaitak98.ziphkautogen2.zipI also dumped the airport list to read Kai Tak into MyTraffic2006 (since an addon above made the airport active) and recompiled my world traffic so now I have ai traffic taking off and landing at Kai Tak. They follow the curved approach to runway 13 which is cool.Flight simulator is so open ended you can become obsessed with a single thing for days or longer and then move to something entirely different after that wears off.I spend most of the time in spot view , checking or adjusting settings in 2d panel view and sometimes going to VC (if applicable) at other times).

Just like real. Lot's of mountain/desert scenery of the western USA, and have no problem using a two axis auto-pilot as I fly those several hundred miles between these fantastic landscapes below!More eyes out the windscreen, than in! :D The following pic is within 2 hours of the airport. Wouldn't trade this "scenery" for gazing at instruments in IMC!L.Adamsonhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169058.jpg

I fly by the book and by the SOP for Continental Airlines (as I remember at least). 1.Try to fly the real world flightplan if possible2.I only fly realworld scheduled flights.3.Arrive at the gate 45 minutes for narrowbody and 1 hour for widebody for crew briefing and preflight4.Every cockpit check and flight deck setup procedure.5.Keep the flight as realistic as possible.Its my substitute for being a real airline pilot and keeps me sane. If it weren't for FS I'd have quit my job, got my ratings back and joined up with any regional airline that would take me.The only problem to that is paying for a 5000sq ft house, a wife who likes to shop and two sons whose clothes cost more than the gross domestic product of Peru on a $21,000 a year regional pilot salary could be a significant problem.Thank GOD for MSFS!!!! Cheaper to pay for a new version of FS every 3 years and a 100 addons and pretend to be a pilot than pay for a divorce lawyer and live in the street. :-badteeth

Guest Tom Goodrick

I can't fly for real anymore so I fly FS a lot - several hundred hours a year. Most of my flying is technical - I am tuning the flight dynamics of some airplane for me or for someone else. But when I fly for fun, I fly a mixture - sometimes high and fast in a jet over several hundred miles and sometimes low and slow in a Beech, Piper or Cessna. The J-3 is one of my favorites. But I take pride in being able to bring the Beech 350 down through nasty clouds and land with strong, gusty winds. I have been around the world four times, two equatorial and two polar in a 747. The beauty of this sim is that we can all "have it our way!"

Guest dpc

I try to keep fairly close when it comes to start up and shut down etc and at the same time keep my flights relatively short. An hour tops from chalk to chalk. My favorite aircraft for a good cold start and short flight is the Aeroworx B200. I'm not a real pilot so I do as close as I can based on their manual and the Flight Productions Video of the King Air 350. I typically fly in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska because it seams to be where I have the most and best addon scenery for FS9 and there is a good range of large airports and nice smaller testers in the mountains. I like to start real weather, program a quick flight plan into the 530 I have added to the B200 and do a flight of 45 minutes or so. I use the stock ATC so I guess it's only as real as that gets.

>1.Try to fly the real world flightplan if possible>2.I only fly realworld scheduled flights.>3.Arrive at the gate 45 minutes for narrowbody and 1 hour for>widebody for crew briefing and preflight>4.Every cockpit check and flight deck setup procedure.>5.Keep the flight as realistic as possible.>And for me, even though it's mountainous areas of the western U.S. ---- Use up to date Terminal Area & Sectional charts to keep current with restricted airspaces/altitudes as well as our KSLC Class B airspace. Use "Flight Guide" for up to date airport information. It's excellent practice at very "cheap rates". I see it's another round of charts in about two weeks, as these expire April 12th.L.Adamson

I happen to be a relatively bad pilot, even though I love doing it, so it wavers for me. I've run the big operations and tried to stay by the book, but most of the time I just like exploring the world, trying to find a new cool place.I'd like to get more into realistic piloting, however I think I would probably do it with something like Wings of Power or something where I wouldn't be as tempted to hit the auto while I sip my coffee. :(

Guest airbus2

I vary. One day i'll jump into the cessna and buzz around the coast. Then othertimes i will go to airsource, choose a flight, get the flight plan, do the fuel calculations and fly some heavy metal, usually the pmdg stuff. Ive done a couple of 4 hour hauls in the 737 although average 2 hours on most flights. I plan to get into doing some transatlantic flights soon!!Dave

It's a mix for me - I fly with FSNAV, RC4 and AS6, always on a IFR flight plan and I often do SID's and VOR approaches. I guess in that sense, I'm a technical flyer - but I don't bother with the full cold and dark start up procedures. Oh, I'll do it with a new aircraft a time or two, but running checklists on the ground is not my thing.I usually fly in the USA, starting on the East coast and doing flight segments of about 90 minutes as I head West. When I get to the West Coast, I head back East, but with a different route. I rarely fly the same aircraft twice in a row, and vary between piston twins, turboprops, jets. I keep a large map of the USA on my cork board in my computer room and and use push pins and colored string to mark my flights - helps me pick destinations I haven't been to.Once I land and turn off the active, I shut down RC4 and end the flight. I don't need to taxi all over the airport and do shutdown procedures.I use GPS, but not until I have leveled off and established myself on the flight path using VOR's and ADF's. I avoid the heavy jets, simply because the longer flights involve hours of droning along on autopilot. I did an around the world series, which was fun, but I hated the ocean crossing segments.Dale

Dale