Sign in to follow this  
psolk

FSX SP1 is out but I have no driving desire...

Guys,This is just my personal opinion but I didn't know if others felt the same. Most importantly this is not a bash FSX thread, just a weird phenomena I am experiencing for the first time. I am the definition of an instant gratification guy. I pre-order everything drive for hours to pick something up rather than have it shipped and if I do have to ship something I bought it is always going to be overnight :)So what is the point of telling you that I am an instant gratification freak who likes everything the minute it is released? The point is FSX is the first thing I don't have these desires with...It is really nothing against FSX, I am just so content with FS9, LVL-D, PMDG,PSS and all of my add-ons that I really have no immediate desire to leave it behind. I don't know why it is this way or what is different about the FS9 to FSX switch but for the FIRST time ever I find myself as a holdout opposed to an early adopter. It is a weird feeling to be content with what you have but I am more than content, I am happy and satisfied...Not sure that there is really a point to this post but I wonder if others feel the same way? What is so different this time around?Thanks for reading folks, have a great day and enjoy your FSX or FS9 whichever you choose, just enjoy!!!!-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest daniel.alm

I feel similar to you, but I wanted to give FSX a second chance. I never bashed it and I can actually see the potential it has. I installed SP1 today and there was definitely an increase in fps, around 50% in my case. The thing is, that to make FSX look as good as my currrent FS9, I've to put all sliders on full or at least almost full and with that settings I got around 15 fps in a default airport (LSZH) with the pre-patch installation and get now 22 fps post SP1. The aircraft I used was the default Airbus.That said, I think I would love FSX if I was interested in VFR flying, but I'm not. I like to fly heavy-iron using high quality airports and FSX simply can't offer anything that is better than what I get in FS9 with all my add-ons now. IMO SP1 made FSX at least usable now and I'm sure we'll see a boost in the FSX add-on development, but the lack of true advantages in FSX compared to FS9 for the sort of simming I like makes the transition to the new platform completely pointless to me. So at least for now I'm uninstalling FSX for good and will wait and see what the future brings. I might give it another try when the DX10 patch is released and I upgrade to a new PC.

I downloaded it this morning but haven't installed it yet (or FSX for that matter). I'll definitely be giving it another chance, especially since I have the Horizon VFR GenX photo sceneries sitting here gathering dust!I'm going back to sea next Tuesday, so I'm busy loading my laptop up with my favourite games and downloading the latest patches and mods for them. I expect I'll get round to reinstalling FSX with SP1 sometime in the next few days. There's still no way FS9 will be leaving my HDD any time soon though!

Well, I fully understand you.In my case, however, this phenomena has even gone further.I downloaded the SP1 this morning... just in case I need it one day.The fact is I... haven't bought FSX yet. :-shyI'm still using FS9 with great satisfaction and literally tones of addons (including paid) many of which will not work properly with FSX.And I'm not bashing FSX either.I'm glad a new version of our beloved FS has come out.I remember the thrill of getting new versions (I've been deeply into MFS with the FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and FS9 versions). I remember flat 2D clouds changing into 3D cubes and finally into something realistic we have now. I remember lifeless green texture of the ground and the change it has gone till UT and GE. I remember ATC being extended to its present level. And I remember having to live with the default C172 and dreaming of an airliner to fly. I even feel a bit of the thrill now, but still don't know what would be so superior for me in FSX compared to FS9 to decide to drop the 9th version.Anyway it is really good that Microsoft guys have made this patch relatively fast. Thumbs up!I hope it indicates that they have learned a Lesson.By the way: a question to you FSX users - is this SP1 really significant (in practical measures) compared to the pre-SP1 version?Has anyone had time to test it well for the hours it's been out?Best regards,Rafal

>Well, I fully understand you.>In my case, however, this phenomena has even gone further.>I downloaded the SP1 this morning... just in case I need it>one day.>The fact is I... haven't bought FSX yet. :-shy>I'm still using FS9 with great satisfaction and literally>tones of addons (including paid) many of which will not work>properly with FSX.>>And I'm not bashing FSX either.>I'm glad a new version of our beloved FS has come out.>I remember the thrill of getting new versions (I've been>deeply into MFS with the FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and FS9>versions). I remember flat 2D clouds changing into 3D cubes>and finally into something realistic we have now. I remember>lifeless green texture of the ground and the change it has>gone till UT and GE. I remember ATC being extended to its>present level. And I remember having to live with the default>C172 and dreaming of an airliner to fly. >>I even feel a bit of the thrill now, but still don't know what>would be so superior for me in FSX compared to FS9 to decide>to drop the 9th version.>>Anyway it is really good that Microsoft guys have made this>patch relatively fast. Thumbs up!>I hope it indicates that they have learned a Lesson.>>By the way: a question to you FSX users - is this SP1 really>significant (in practical measures) compared to the pre-SP1>version?>Has anyone had time to test it well for the hours it's been>out?>>Best regards,>Rafal>RafalI saw FSX in Empik, Marszalkowska, W-Wa the other day but it was a bit expensive - over PLN350, I think. Maybe after there's some decent add-ons released, I'll think about it, but at the moment my favourite stuff all works like a dream on FS9. I do, however, only have best wishes for FSX and in no way want to critisise a product I've never used/don't own.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I'm not gonna bother with SP1. I'm sure they've done their best, but FSX just isn't the product I expected and wanted it to be. So I'm not gonna install FSX and the SP to come to the same conclusion as before. That the look and feel doesn't do it for me, nor the absence of significant improvements in the areas of ATC and AI management. Nope, I'm quite content with FS9 and will stick with that until FS11 comes out. Which I won't buy immediately like I did with FSX, that's for sure.And to dispel a popular myth, it's not about performance. It's something more this time...

Mike...

A quick perusal of the FSX forum shows that most are getting a large increase in frame rates with SP1 ...that's good. However, the ATC/AI issue is still there as are the desert textures. I won't be going to FSX until I upgrade hardware. As my current machine is running fine and FS9 is running good also, and most important: I'm not bored or tired, or have run out of flying to do with FS9, why change??? When my current machine dies, and/or I get a spare $2k to spend on hardware and aadd-ons, then I'll switch. That maybe as long as FS11 away. Mike

Hi,Yes, I also read that there infact is a FPS improvment,...but with dual core. I have seen nothing that tells about any performance with single core computers.Anyway, as long as there is no 2D environment and panel system logic improvment in FSX, I won

Staffan

Some people are reporting blurred textures, and most of the significant improvements are reported by multi-core users.

I have in fact seen several single core users post about improvements. Like the OP though, I'm just not inclined. My fs9 time is restricted largely to a few hours or one long haul per week as it is.Kudos to ACES for a job well done though, it's already clear that SP1 has met or exceeded most expectations.Depending on FSX's life span perhaps I'll revisit when the big birds have landed and/or I get a new system.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

Well, call me a heretic and feed me to the FS9 lions, but I'm smelling FSX fun in the air. This may not be the beginning of the end of FSX troubles, but it may be, as Winston said, "The end of the beginning."I am definitely getting better FPS with SP1. Hard to say how much, but certainly in the 25%+ range. And that's with minimum tweaks and fairly high settings. Unfortunately, I'm getting some graphics corruptions, but I'm sure those can be worked out. (The airport AI is still a killer, though.)I installed 9 meter Genesis mesh (for FSX) over Canada and the US and I'm getting some gorgeous mountain flights with high settings and more than acceptable FPS. I'm really seeing FSX as an unpainted canvas. If they can up the FPS another notch, giving us room to run the Active Sky programs coming out for FSX, I think we're going to see a qualitative jump in FSX that's going to be impossible to ignore.After five or six install and uninstalls, FSX is now a permanent resident on my HD. Right beside FS9. Neither is leaving for a long time.

Guest Coneman

I will not throw big money at an upgrade just to run FSX. FS8 and 9 were great and the transition wasn't painful. This one eats everything but top-o-the-line machines for breakfast. Having to nuke most of the autogen to get it to run well makes FS9 look good. And personally I don't care for the way the ground textures are speckled, looks goofy. Not trying to convince anyone else not to get it, just frustrated that it won't be on my hard drive.Todd

"FSX is now a permanent resident on my HD. Right beside FS9. Neither is leaving for a long time."To me, that statement says it all. I think it is now very clear indeed that there will continue to be a place for BOTH FS9 (in all its highly customized and well established glory) and FSX (whose future is now far more secure following the release of SP1) on our HDs. I think we can count ourselves very lucky to have 2 such great sims that will continue to enthrall and entertain for many years to come.At this point, I am feeling rather spoiled and very happy!Mike :)

Guest over and out

I do not have X installed, I tried the demo and it just did not perform well. So I have no idea if the SP1 would help me. Anyone know if there an SP1 demo?In any case, I spent too much time and $$$ on addons and tweaks to just can FS9. It's just too soon. Even if all of my addons could be installed on FSX with patches, I don't think I would be that excited about all that installation and tweak time just to get a little better eye candy. I would have to be promised good frame rates, and with my system there is no chance in that.I see that FSX has some great potential and I'm sure someday, perhaps when FS11 emerges I'll build a new system but for now I am happy with what I have. I wish that FS was on a 3 or 4 year cycle, not 2.

I think a lot of our reluctance to move on to FSX stems from the fact that we've spent hundreds of dollars on addons for FS9 and until those addons are patched for FSX a lot of us wouldn't be moving. Personally I've been spoiled by high quality airport scenerys. I just hate flying into a default scenery airport.When I finally buy a new system for FSX, I'll still run my old one networked, so I can still enjoy FS9.Dave FisherCYYZP4 Prescott 3.2e 478p 800mhz 1mg CPUP4P800SE Asus Motherboard2.5 gig PC3200 DDR RAM 400MHZGeForce 7600GT/512 OC'dMaxtor 80 Gig ATA 133 HD x2WDC WD800 80 Gig HDAntec 500watt true powerSharp 19 inch LCD MonitorLogitech Extreme 3D pro Joystickhttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpghttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg