Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullstoplanding

"Illegal" Flying, Sim Style.

Guest fullstoplanding

On a lighter note...Has anybody done something like this? I've flown under the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge, twice with the J-3 Cub and once with the Aerosoft Beaver (on floats). I know in the real flying world this is a big no-no. When I tell my oldest boy, he says, Papa, that's illegal. I tell him, but this is sim flying. He still admonishes me.:-(Anybody have a similar confession?--Roger

Guest flightsimmernick

I have done a couple of funny things like this like flying up the River Thames in London and through Tower Bridge, but this was a long time ago and I feel strangley compelled to stick to aviation rules and regs even though I am simming!

Definitely, I flew several times under the two Bosphorous bridges in my city of Istanbul(about 200FT high). A few times upside down with GA aircraft. I couldn't manage that with heavy Boeings and Airbuses though, they didn't get through :D All in all I believe I've flown under them with everything in my hangar.Same here Nick, nowadays I find it much more amusing to stick to the regulations. (That sounds stupid but hardcore simmers will understand my point)happy landings

I guess this is along the same lines. I have flown on long flights and have arrived at the localizer a bit higher than I should be and I have dove to get on glidepath. This can be interesting in a 747 and I am sure non to comfortable for the "virtual" passengers but I usual figure the heck with it this has been a long flight. Most of the time I try to keep it like it should be and people have asked me why and I really have no great answer.:D

But of course! Tomorrow I'm planning to try and fly a TU-134 through Tower bridge in London after I get back from Friday beers. And as I've missed the last few Fridays, I'll probably have more than a couple of pints ;-)What's strange though is I find myself thinking 'No! You shouldn't do it!' even as I type. Which is worrying.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest RonB49

Who remembers that in the subLogic FS2 WWI fighter game, that there was a hanger open at both ends? I flew through that a few times. And under many bridges in later versions. I don't know why that's so compelling. R-

I take a F-18E (and F) Super Hornet or the F-16 and fly ow though cities buzzing skyscrapers. I have also flew under bridges with these planes.

One time I took off from a major airport without even getting clearance. I was even parked on the active runway. :)

I have tried landing a 747 at places like St.Barts.....

>One time I took off from a major airport without even getting>clearance. I was even parked on the active runway. :)Thank you for having the courage to admit that. I can now say in public 'me too' ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest flightsimmernick

Come to think of it I have just takenj off from the active wiothout clearance just to get going and have also tried landing heavy jets at small airfields!Enought said... that was a long time ago and as I said above I feel more comfortable sticking to the rules of the skies. The only thing that i wish is that my AI did the same as well! :-mad

Guest Jet Ranger

Ive flown through Tower Bridge London in a Citation X & even after being denied take off clearance for a VFR flight in heavy rain Ive still taken off regardless, Ive landed an A340-600 on a small private airstrip finally coming to rest after demolishing a few house on the way! & landed a helicopter on the Birmingham Citys football ground. I do the "proper" flying most of the time but sometimes its great just to have a little fun.

>The only thing that i wish is that my AI did the same as well!>:-madYeah, I guess FS ATC and AI beat us all in illegal flying esp. with the way ATC handles approaches. I'm sure you've all experienced close counters with AI trying to "grab" your approach slot.Anyway, sticking to the subject, flying between skyscrapers is also pretty popular (try it with the Extra 300). Also I must add taking off from taxiways.BTW has anyone tried to be an AI wingman , I mean closely like wingtip stuff?