Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krishcanag

Memory Not Enough

HiI have been getting a lot of occasions when I have to reset PC, did some investigating as I only get this with FSX, found that I am running out of memory, presently running XP HOME and 2GB RAM, increase page file to 3069. I came down to 5M of RAM but generally down to 100M, which is why it causes fps to drop a lot and from spot view it does not stutter more like jump and jump.I have FSUIPC4.40, PMDG 747, LDS-767 and traffic X which is the main memory user after FSX itself. Also FSglobal is waiting in the wings.Now I have ordered another 2GB but can someone tell me should I put both in? I here not much use with XP or do I just put one stick? If so which slot should I put it.If I remove traffic and run 747 I have still got stuck once which could be to do with what else was running.krishan

Gigabyte EP45-DS4 (F9)

E8500 running at 4.1GHz

4G Dominator 1066 running at 1032MHz

898MB XFX 260GTX

Vista 64-bit on VolictyRaptor 250GB

KIS operating

1440 X 900

HiI have been getting a lot of occasions when I have to reset PC, did some investigating as I only get this with FSX, found that I am running out of memory, presently running XP HOME and 2GB RAM, increase page file to 3069. I came down to 5M of RAM but generally down to 100M, which is why it causes fps to drop a lot and from spot view it does not stutter more like jump and jump.I have FSUIPC4.40, PMDG 747, LDS-767 and traffic X which is the main memory user after FSX itself. Also FSglobal is waiting in the wings.Now I have ordered another 2GB but can someone tell me should I put both in? I here not much use with XP or do I just put one stick? If so which slot should I put it.If I remove traffic and run 747 I have still got stuck once which could be to do with what else was running.krishan
I recommend you do a forum search for "OOM error"--there are already many, many discussions of this issue.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 16GB 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 2x1TB Samsung SSD 970Pro NVMe+850 Pro SATA 3, eVGA 1KW PSU

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Actually, I don't get any error message, the PC just freezes, locked up cannot do anything except press the rest button, I think its a OOM issue but I could be wrong.

Gigabyte EP45-DS4 (F9)

E8500 running at 4.1GHz

4G Dominator 1066 running at 1032MHz

898MB XFX 260GTX

Vista 64-bit on VolictyRaptor 250GB

KIS operating

1440 X 900

"Now I have ordered another 2GB but can someone tell me should I put both in? I here not much use with XP or do I just put one stick? If so which slot should I put it."Most motherboards like to address memory sticks in pairs, so I'd suggest you put both in.

Bert

Just my experience, My sim works better if Windows handles page file size. Not true of everyone. Also, video drivers have caused my computer to freeze( sounds like your problem.) OOM usually crashes and gives you an error message. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

If you put your extra 2GB in don't forget to add the /3GB and UserVA switches to your boot.ini file.

John

FSX Rig: Gigabyte Aorus Z270 Gaming7 Mother board, I7-6700K CPU, 32Gb DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte 1080I Graphics, Acer 34" wide view display with VSYNC on.

PREP3Dv4 rig: Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 Motherboard, I7-I8086SE CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte 1080I Graphics, Acer 34" wide view display with VSYNC on.

If you put your extra 2GB in don't forget to add the /3GB and UserVA switches to your boot.ini file.
These switches actually work independently of actual memory size.. just as useful with only 2GB installed..

Bert

These switches actually work independently of actual memory size.. just as useful with only 2GB installed..
..or only 1GB for that matter... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Many Thanks to All That Donated To Our Server Drive!