Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krishcanag

Memory Not Enough

HiI have been getting a lot of occasions when I have to reset PC, did some investigating as I only get this with FSX, found that I am running out of memory, presently running XP HOME and 2GB RAM, increase page file to 3069. I came down to 5M of RAM but generally down to 100M, which is why it causes fps to drop a lot and from spot view it does not stutter more like jump and jump.I have FSUIPC4.40, PMDG 747, LDS-767 and traffic X which is the main memory user after FSX itself. Also FSglobal is waiting in the wings.Now I have ordered another 2GB but can someone tell me should I put both in? I here not much use with XP or do I just put one stick? If so which slot should I put it.If I remove traffic and run 747 I have still got stuck once which could be to do with what else was running.krishan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

HiI have been getting a lot of occasions when I have to reset PC, did some investigating as I only get this with FSX, found that I am running out of memory, presently running XP HOME and 2GB RAM, increase page file to 3069. I came down to 5M of RAM but generally down to 100M, which is why it causes fps to drop a lot and from spot view it does not stutter more like jump and jump.I have FSUIPC4.40, PMDG 747, LDS-767 and traffic X which is the main memory user after FSX itself. Also FSglobal is waiting in the wings.Now I have ordered another 2GB but can someone tell me should I put both in? I here not much use with XP or do I just put one stick? If so which slot should I put it.If I remove traffic and run 747 I have still got stuck once which could be to do with what else was running.krishan
I recommend you do a forum search for "OOM error"--there are already many, many discussions of this issue.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Actually, I don't get any error message, the PC just freezes, locked up cannot do anything except press the rest button, I think its a OOM issue but I could be wrong.

"Now I have ordered another 2GB but can someone tell me should I put both in? I here not much use with XP or do I just put one stick? If so which slot should I put it."Most motherboards like to address memory sticks in pairs, so I'd suggest you put both in.

Just my experience, My sim works better if Windows handles page file size. Not true of everyone. Also, video drivers have caused my computer to freeze( sounds like your problem.) OOM usually crashes and gives you an error message. Bob

If you put your extra 2GB in don't forget to add the /3GB and UserVA switches to your boot.ini file.

If you put your extra 2GB in don't forget to add the /3GB and UserVA switches to your boot.ini file.
These switches actually work independently of actual memory size.. just as useful with only 2GB installed..

These switches actually work independently of actual memory size.. just as useful with only 2GB installed..
..or only 1GB for that matter... :(