Sign in to follow this  
out

Active Sky Advanced

I noticed that 2 gigs ram is recommended. What if you only have 1 gig? I am planning to get another gig but was wondering.JimCYWG

Guest FredGherkin
It looks nice, seems to render weather much more accurately than AS6.5 ever did (this is on FS9), all in all, I'm quite impressed, but...The startup routines take way too long. Almost as long as it takes for my FS9 to start (we're counting the time in minutes here).I'm getting a boatload of CTDs since I've started using it. Pretty much a 75% CTD rate in all my flights (3 out of the last 4), which is quite infuriating. I'm assuming these to be OOMs, since it's not limited to one module and unlike classic OOM crashes, which usually happen at the end of the flight, these are happening all over the place. So, right now, ASA has been relegated to a toy in my setup, hopefully these quirks will be worked out soon :)
That's pretty much a "deal breaker" for me.

No CTD(s) here, but I'm running ASA on a client laptop via a WideFS network link, which allows me to conserve system and video memory on the FS9 (server) decreasing the chance of an OOM. The ASA user-interface presents excellent information, like the enhanced weather map. I've never been more aware of the weather (and indeed navigation) situation along my flight plan, but all that interesting graphical information uses memory. Best to keep it running on a laptop, where I can literally go crazy with it (e.g., zoom out on the weather map with all the information content selected) without taking one bit of RAM away from FS9. Another plus, no need to install the XGauge to the panel, thereby taking more memory from FS9. All the information is right there on the client laptop, which sits right next to the FS9 machine.

Hi All,We are working to solve the OOM issues and the others. Please give us a chance!

Guest Ed Lin
That's pretty much a "deal breaker" for me.
I'm running ASA via a Wideclient. I have one gig of ram in this machine and load times, etc., are fine. It does take a bit longer for the program to initially load than with AS6 but like just about any program, more ram might decrease load times. I was experiencing a CTD since installing this program but at this point, I "think" my problem may have been the "Render to texture" option that had been selected while troubleshooting some other issue. I've "deselected" this option and have not had a CTD since. Trust me, I've used Damian and Jim's Active Sky for several years now. They are great folks who will give you what you pay for +++. This program, in my book, is taking FS9 to a completely different level for me. Certainly as it relates to weather, the visuals are nothing short of jaw dropping. There are a few bugs to be worked out but the outlook is for some seriously clear skies with this program.Ed Lin, D.O.S.

Yeah, please don't take my post the wrong way. For the time being, ASA has some growing pains, it's what most early adopters are used to and most of us tend to offer our initial impressions when asked, but make no mistake, ASA is the best thing since sliced bread. I have never seen a more realistic weather environment in FS9. Once HiFi iron out most of the early bugs (and they have never let us down before), this is going to be an amazing product.

Just to echo some of the comments already made, I've been using Active Sky Wx engines since FS2002 and they've always been the best at providing bug fixes and answering support questions. They've never been rude or treated anyone like they were at fault for their problems. HiFi is really the model of FS payware add-ons, so everyone with concerns should be patient and give them a chance, you won't regret it in the end, I'm sure. :(

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Thanks Jim:By all means!Please post a reply when you "solve the OOM issues and the others", as some of us are waiting in the wings until this is accomplished.Respectfully:RTH

Hi All,We are working to solve the OOM issues and the others. Please give us a chance!

I've been a ActiveSky user for years...but the harsh truth is that ASX never really lived up to it's predecessor's (AS 6.5) reputation, and ASA now appears to be considerably worse...really most reports I have say it's proving to be a real disaster so far. Who wants to buy a product that will bring back the combined headaches of OOM errors, CTDs, massive uncontrollable wind shifts, and clouds popping in and out like a jack-in-the box?? Many of us have already spent several years exorcizing those very demons out of an otherwise stable FS2004 platform...now we're supposed to pay to bring all the old gremlins back--in the name of "progress" towards a "new" version of FS (FSX) that has been out two years already??I do hope Damian and company can quickly fix this...but I sense that their reputation is rapidly flagging as this second failure since AS6.5 continues to disappoint, and I observe that they are keeping their customers increasingly in the dark on specifics as this debacle unfolds.HiFiSim appears to have lost their "mojo."Sorry, but I call 'em as I see 'em. But I'll be tickled pink if they prove me wrong.Bob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've been a ActiveSky user for years...but the harsh truth is that ASX never really lived up to it's predecessor's (AS 6.5) reputation, and ASA now appears to be considerably worse...really most reports I have say it's proving to be a real disaster so far. Who wants to buy a product that will bring back the combined headaches of OOM errors, CTDs, massive uncontrollable wind shifts, and clouds popping in and out like a jack-in-the box?? Many of us have already spent several years exorcizing those very demons out of an otherwise stable FS2004 platform...now we're supposed to pay to bring all the old gremlins back--in the name of "progress" towards a "new" version of FS (FSX) that has been out two years already??I do hope Damian and company can quickly fix this...but I sense that their reputation is rapidly flagging as this second failure since AS6.5 continues to disappoint, and I observe that they are keeping their customers increasingly in the dark on specifics as this debacle unfolds.HiFiSim appears to have lost their "mojo."Sorry, but I call 'em as I see 'em. But I'll be tickled pink if they prove me wrong.Bob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Bob, I have to harshly contradict you on this one. I am yet to see an OOM with ASA. After many years of AS6.5 usage, I have been really pleasently surprised by this product. Not only it brings much better weather envrionment, but it also introduces some really nice drafts, and I am yet to see some sudden wind changes. It's only better than AS6.5 in my eyes. Also GUI-wise :)Now, about OOMs, my personal opinion is people should stop whining about it, because FS9 with its current available addons (=UT, MD-11, ASA, addon airports ala Mega Airports etc...) has grown OVER the 2GB limit, and that is not FS9's or Addon Developer's fault, but rather all together, which uses so much memory. I have recently switched to XP64, and got rid of ALL OOM errors I had in one shot. I tested all my OOM marked flights, and none of them crashed. I am now even contemplating, if it proves needed, to insert 2 memory sticks more, to get 8GB of RAM and to be calm for another couple of years with this machine.

I have recently switched to XP64, and got rid of ALL OOM errors I had in one shot.
Word Not Allowed,so your advice is to switch from 32bit XP into 64bit XP? Is it really worth the money and there are no drawbacks?Asking since I happen to get OOMs from time to time (for the reasons you gave here) but buying another system takes money away.I have 2GB RAM. Would it also mean I should buy 2GB more?Thanks in advance and sorry for drifting a bit off topic.Best regards,Rafal

Bob, I have to harshly contradict you on this one. I am yet to see an OOM with ASA. After many years of AS6.5 usage, I have been really pleasently surprised by this product. Not only it brings much better weather envrionment, but it also introduces some really nice drafts, and I am yet to see some sudden wind changes. It's only better than AS6.5 in my eyes. Also GUI-wise :)Now, about OOMs, my personal opinion is people should stop whining about it, because FS9 with its current available addons (=UT, MD-11, ASA, addon airports ala Mega Airports etc...) has grown OVER the 2GB limit, and that is not FS9's or Addon Developer's fault, but rather all together, which uses so much memory. I have recently switched to XP64, and got rid of ALL OOM errors I had in one shot. I tested all my OOM marked flights, and none of them crashed. I am now even contemplating, if it proves needed, to insert 2 memory sticks more, to get 8GB of RAM and to be calm for another couple of years with this machine.
I have 11 friends that I know have bought ASA. Of them, only one of them isn't telling me they regret the purchase at this point.Half of them are seeing CTDs, possibly related to a bug that is resetting the time in FS. Almost all are seeing big windshift problems, especially in FSX. Five are running 64-bit OSs (XP64 and Vista 64) and have still seen OOMs on flights in the 2+ hr range. The forums have documented instances of others with the OOM problem, even in 64-bit OS environments.Two weeks after release, all I see is general remarks that they are testing fixes to problems. No specifics as to which problems. As a wannabe buyer, all I see is a sea of unanswered issues. I want to believe these guys have a solution...but the preponderance of the posts suggest that there are big problems still, and that the software does not live up to its advertised capabilities.AS6.5 works well in FS9. ASX never did cut the mustard in FSX. My expectations hinge on ASA's ability to do what ASX could not...specifically, tame the nasty FSX wind shift problem seen with ASX. So far, I see no evidence that ASA is rising to the challenge.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

hi,As an early AS customer, I am confident that the HiFi guys will fix those problems. Let's give them some time. Yes we can regret that the product was released before having been fully tested.But I have always been impressed by the quality of their support. They used to give me free updates on a regular basis, I don't remember how many but in the end, I got AS6.5 for free without asking for it!!!!I did not buy ASX because of the FSX performance issues ( as everybody knows :))

Word Not Allowed,so your advice is to switch from 32bit XP into 64bit XP? Is it really worth the money and there are no drawbacks?Asking since I happen to get OOMs from time to time (for the reasons you gave here) but buying another system takes money away.I have 2GB RAM. Would it also mean I should buy 2GB more?Thanks in advance and sorry for drifting a bit off topic.Best regards,Rafal
Why do you need a new computer if you want to switch from XP32 to XP64? If your CPU supports it (all 3-4 years back CPUs do anyway), you are ready to go. Just check for 64bit versions of your drivers, just to be sure before you do it.Drawbacks? Almost none. Some applications might not work, but very rarely. In my case, BAV ACARS (online tool for British Airways Virtual). So I am gonna get me a cheap laptop for all FS applications, ASA, SB, FSRealTime, BAV-ACARS, Charts, to run on the laptop in the 32bit environment, connect all over network and WideFS, so that I can use my main rig only for FS9 in full screen on 24inches ;).Basically, you don't need more than 2GB of RAM. The usage that surpasses the 2GB limit is an application virtual size, which has nothing to do with physical RAM installed in your computer. Of course, its recommended to have more in that case, but if you have only 2GB, swap will also be used.

I have 11 friends that I know have bought ASA. Of them, only one of them isn't telling me they regret the purchase at this point.Half of them are seeing CTDs, possibly related to a bug that is resetting the time in FS. Almost all are seeing big windshift problems, especially in FSX. Five are running 64-bit OSs (XP64 and Vista 64) and have still seen OOMs on flights in the 2+ hr range. The forums have documented instances of others with the OOM problem, even in 64-bit OS environments.Two weeks after release, all I see is general remarks that they are testing fixes to problems. No specifics as to which problems. As a wannabe buyer, all I see is a sea of unanswered issues. I want to believe these guys have a solution...but the preponderance of the posts suggest that there are big problems still, and that the software does not live up to its advertised capabilities.AS6.5 works well in FS9. ASX never did cut the mustard in FSX. My expectations hinge on ASA's ability to do what ASX could not...specifically, tame the nasty FSX wind shift problem seen with ASX. So far, I see no evidence that ASA is rising to the challenge.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Bob, from my point of view, it can be even 50 people, but if they have something faulty that is not ASA (because as I said, I am yet to see a CTD), improperly configured, I guess they are all gonna see the error. I never said that it couldn't be ASA, so I hope someone finds the cause and the solution.I did short and up to 5 hours flights, and all went peachy, Virtual Size going as high as 3,5GB, which I really don't care, as sim stayed fluid. OOM under 64bit is almost impossible. If they have an OOM, then its not because of ASA, I can bet on that. I saw unexplained crashes of FS9 under Vista for example (VS around 1,300mb), and not under XP...In last 6 months I did so much testing under various OS's, and my conclusion is, XP64 is the most stable environment on my computer. Others may vary.And concerning windshifts, with both ASA and ASV I used FSUIPC to limit the wind change to 1knot/degree every 2seconds. I guess that is the reason I am never seeing wind shifts, and the reason for everything working so nicely.