Sign in to follow this  
Guest MB327

What about VATSIM?

>I found the abuse and sheer nastiness toward some newer pilots>from controllers especialy in a certain European country was>absolutely to me, unbelievable.>>Why oh why does the control freak and elitist attitude have to>creep into something that is supposed to be there for relief!>Hummm weird? I've never experienced this "attitude" in over a year of flying on VATSIM...Sometimes attitudes, or perceved attitudes are the result of the same perceved attitude ;-)

Gosta:I agree with your assessment, and only wish, in an ideal world, that I could speak with ATC each and every time.......someday!

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi Mike,Congratulations on the new 'job' , first I have heard about it, and as Lamont says 'they got the best man for the job'. Hope it doesn't curtail your flying.My only comment is, if it is in your remit, to get all the stuff a newbie needs in one place. To me it seems that bits are scattered about different sites which makes it difficult for newbies.Of course I may be wrong on this, as another 'older' hand at it the only time I have to look for newbie stuff is when I get a newbie on the VA wanting help.Best wishes with the post, I'm sure it will give you great satisfaction.Rgds

Gosta,>I had two attempts at installing it, both times it installed spyware on my system,..

Guest lamont

Hi Alex:Not trying to be a smart-alec but the hearing impaired could be a controller, hence the need for him/her to communicate via text.

Guest pagotan

Hi,First of all my sincere congratulation for your new appointment. I am glad you made appeasing comments. I also would like to highlight Neil's comments on complaints and how they are investigated. Pilots who feel they are mistreated should follow Neil's advise.There was a comment about a would be online pilot in Australia. Sure enough time difference is an issue. It is quite difficult for us to be online when things are getting busy in ATL or EDDF. One solution maybe to get more online flying in the south emisphere.Being myself located in Indonesia I found that none of the major VAs offer an adequate coverage of the South East Asia and South Pacific aeras. To be more accurate the coverage exists but is only a pale replica of the US and Europe coverages. Maybe this is something VATSIM (and others if they read this thread) should pay attention to. Do not underestimate the number of pilots in this part of the world.CheersMichael

I filed a complaint on a disruptive pilot who was buzzing people with a military jet. Wrote to the conflict resolutions mangager and the ARTCC Chief in the region it happened. I never heard anything back and that was a month ago.

Eric 

I have somewhere arround 130 hrs on Vatsim, and I still sometimes feel like a n00b! And I've embarassed myself a few times too. The key is preparation. Those instructions are a lot easier to understand if you know what to exepect. Anyway, don't feel bad about making mistakes, it happens to everyone.

Guest moomox

What if VATSIM set aside an area just to train new pilots on the rules of the road? I'd be more than happy to help out in getting peoples feet wet. May I suggest Shearwater(CYAW)?We could do some courses in stages. Basic radio workCurcuitsCurcuit entry proceduresLearning some differences between VFR and IFR traffic, and the rules behind it....and anything else i've missed.This would really help new pilots explore the VFR world in VATSIM first and then move up to the IFR portion once they are comfortable.I think VATSIM would really see an increase in traffic if this were to happen. Maybe a few of us can work together to make this happen!

Guest pagotan

Hi,I am for it. As a retired pilot I do have some free time which I can allocate to such a project. Guess we need also one or two ATc's. The ideal way would be to have half a dozen dedicated routes for training, manned with ATC, a learnig plan in several prgressive phases up to the infamous pattern holdings which most pilots and controllers alike have difficulties to master.I do believe this training should be offered on a voluntary basis and not become a "must" to join the club of pilots flying online. Would be glad to contribute. Please keep me informed.Michael

>What if VATSIM set aside an area just to train new pilots on>the rules of the road? I'd be more than happy to help out in>getting peoples feet wet. May I suggest Shearwater(CYAW)?>>We could do some courses in stages. >>Basic radio work>Curcuits>Curcuit entry procedures>Learning some differences between VFR and IFR traffic, and the>rules behind it.>...and anything else i've missed.>>This would really help new pilots explore the VFR world in>VATSIM first and then move up to the IFR portion once they are>comfortable.>>I think VATSIM would really see an increase in traffic if this>were to happen. Maybe a few of us can work together to make>this happen!>>David this is very kind of you. Thank you.Let me just add here that VATSIM is a global organisation and lots of things are focused on local procedures rather than a general VATSIM procedure.Example : your offer on Shearwater(CYAW) will gather lots of happy members from VATCAN (Canada Division) http://bathursted.ccnb.nb.ca/vatcan/ once you contact the Division Training Department and setup something properly promoted.Think about all the rest of users though, South America, Europe, Japan, Middle East and so on. They all have to rely on local procedures within their time zones as well. Go to http://vatsim.net on the right and see how VATSIM brakes down to local organisations and then you'll see what I mean.Mike Bevington has a very important position in VATSIM and this is the only "global" place VATSIM can have as a launching pad of common VATSIM training procedures for Pilots. I am sure he would appreciate a contact by you into setting up something to help his difficult tasks that lie ahead mailto:mikeb@vatsim.netKyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vatsim-eur.org/images/VATSIM-EURs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

>Gentlemen:>>In my initial posts let me just say that my experience on>VATSIM has been wonderful, for the most part. My problems have>never been with how I was treated, which has always been>exceptionally and professionally.I absolutely love flying>real-world procedures with the appropriate charts, STARS,>communication, etc. >>My problem is the still antiquated communication. For a>service that prides itself on maintaining the 'as real as it>gets' credo of MSFS, that we are more than just occasionally>subjected to type-written ATC COM with busy approach and tower>controllers in busy airspace during busy fly-ins or>what-have-you is, at this stage in the technology game, just>arcaic. You guys spend hours discussing your 2+ GHz CPU's and>$400 video cards, bench test scores and frame rates in the>forums, and you expect me to swallow that type-written ATC>communication exists to be considerate to those flight simmers>with inferior equipment setups? I don't buy it. Not in 2003>with 1 GHz CPU's quickly becomming "slow" machines. Who>DOESN'T have Roger Wilco, wether you like it or not? >>Now as far as the hearing impaired among us are concerned, I>can understand and support type-written communication. The>solution here would be for those individuals to let the>controllers know that situation exists WHEN YOU FILE YOUR>FLIGHTPLAN, so that appropriate exceptions, granted>well-deserved, can be made by ATC, not by all the other pilots>trying to maximize their experience and enjoyment with verbal>communication. For that I am all in favor. >>See You Online,>>http://www.expedia.com/pubspec/images/airlines/smNW.gif>Alex Christoff>N562Z>Minneapolis, MNAlex you'll be surprised with the quantity of members flying or providing ATC from places where they have to be quiet :( ; offices, rooms next to babies sleeping, wifes , kids studying, important phonecalls in progress. Yes there is also the hearing impaired but they are not the only reason.One of the reasons you see text Tower controllers (VATUSA only I believe) is due to local voice usage policy. It is a common decision there that a student ATC must first learn to type well enough and then proceed to voice ATC on tougher positions (Approach , Center etc.) We as pilots accept that because we know that by this way we help train the future ATCOs who will be providing service to us in the next few years to come. All this hobby has been based from day1 on helping eachother free of charge and accepting the goods and the bads of it. So yes, text ATC bothers me as well sometimes but I can asure you there were many flights I would not have done in the past if voice was mandatory (or the prime means of comm.) and controllers were crap on text communication.Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vatsim-eur.org/images/VATSIM-EURs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Guest pagotan

Thanks for your input which I gather reflects CATSIM's current position. Should this idea become even the beginning of a project and if you were in need of additional brains, pilot expertise etc.. then you can count on me.Michael