Sign in to follow this  
AirbusA340300

OOM help

hello. after a week of flying the great md-11, i got my first OOM the other day. i could here the sounds but the sim was frozen, and then i minimized the sim and saw the message that my system is OOM. and it happened last night when i was doing a long haul flight. those are the only 2 i have had, and i noticed that i started getting them after i got ASA, i dont know if thats the problem. my main concern is, i had the 64 bit version of vista and have 6gb of ram. i thought i would be fairly immune to the OOM isssue? is it normal that i am getting OOM with those specs?adam

You shouldnt be able to OOM a 64-bit OS and 6GBs of Ram... Are you running FSX or FS9?

Are you certain Windows is detecting all of your memory? I had to change a setting in my BIOS in order to get Vista Ultimate 64 to see all of my RAM. Also, I am not sure if you still have to do the whole 3GB switch stuff; my guess with a 64-bit OS is "no." I have only been on 64-bit myself for about a month now. I could be wrong.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Are you certain Windows is detecting all of your memory? I had to change a setting in my BIOS in order to get Vista Ultimate 64 to see all of my RAM. Also, I am not sure if you still have to do the whole 3GB switch stuff; my guess with a 64-bit OS is "no." I have only been on 64-bit myself for about a month now. I could be wrong.
Running VIsta 64 with SP2 dosen

Guest D17S
im running the md-11 on FSXadam
Yea, it can happen. Get this and watch what's going on:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspxVirtual Size is the ram scheduling function that causes OOMs. WS Private is physical ram usage. Note that physical ram is only 3.3Gs. Physical ram will always run below VS. Any 32(program)x64(ops system) duo will system OMM with physical ram significantly below 4Gs. Unless one is running a multitude of other programs, 6Gs is wasted. For FSX ops, 4 is plenty. That said, this was a proof-of-concept test flight at 2 seconds per frame. I Really had to work to get this OOM. Run PE along with your next flight and see what's happening.

One of the regular visitors on my forums, has the same problem with the Captain Sim 757, the LevelD 767 when approaching EHAM. So this isn't a MD-11 related problem, but a problem caused by something else in the system. Maybe it is all the complexity we have all added to our soms today.

Note that physical ram is only 3.3Gs. Physical ram will always run below VS. Any 32(program)x64(ops system) duo will system OMM with physical ram significantly below 4Gs. Unless one is running a multitude of other programs, 6Gs is wasted. For FSX ops, 4 is plenty. That said, this was a proof-of-concept test flight at 2 seconds per frame. I Really had to work to get this OOM. Run PE along with your next flight and see what's happening.
I have run the PE with a long haul flight. See my earlier post. "Test of a long haul flight with XP64 and 4 GB of Ram"POST HERE: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=241567When you have reached SO MUCH VS....then it must be a leak in your scenery somewhere. You should manage to be somewherebetween 1.8 and 3.0 3.0 is very much but yours seems EXTREME.Check your Landclass file, AI, and AF2 file. Check so you don

Leif,Sam was forcing the OOM as a proof of concept...This is not normal use... he was actually trying to force FSX into OOM'ing...Andrew

Guest cfgarrod

I have Windows Vista 64bit, FSX/Acceleration, 896MB graphics, 4GB ram etc. I've only been flying 4 weeks but never had an OOM warning.All sliders are 'full right', the only add-ons are UK and Swiss photographic scenery, no traffic or weather.My PC has 2 hard drives, one of them is exclusively for gaming programmes.I was advised to do this, or at least keep all games in a dedicated partition. I don't have the necessary computer knowledge to know if it's really worthwhile, just my experience...Also I'm using AVG free antivirus, which I think is one that doesn't take over your registry unlike Symantec...Chris G