Amazing how much trouble it is to get FSX to run. With my older system with a 4870 1GB card FSX runs great. This GTX295 runs my games great, but NOT FSX.In FSX I get spikes that come and go. I tried 5 freak'n driver releases and still have these spikes. I run the driver settings at the default level in novidia control panel.I tired turning of the Phyx setting too and even tried differenet settings in FSX. What gives?This is with FSX SP2.Any ideas would be appreciated. Just can't wait for the new ATI cards. :(

Amazing how much trouble it is to get FSX to run. With my older system with a 4870 1GB card FSX runs great. This GTX295 runs my games great, but NOT FSX.In FSX I get spikes that come and go. I tried 5 freak'n driver releases and still have these spikes. I run the driver settings at the default level in novidia control panel.I tired turning of the Phyx setting too and even tried differenet settings in FSX. What gives?Any ideas would be appreciated. Just can't wait for the new ATI cards. :(
My rig had the same problem on GTX280. Try to underclock it, than try to underclock the RAM - in my case 1333MHz RAM at 1066MHz solved the issue

Amazing how much trouble it is to get FSX to run. With my older system with a 4870 1GB card FSX runs great. This GTX295 runs my games great, but NOT FSX.In FSX I get spikes that come and go. I tried 5 freak'n driver releases and still have these spikes. I run the driver settings at the default level in novidia control panel.I tired turning of the Phyx setting too and even tried differenet settings in FSX. What gives?This is with FSX SP2.Any ideas would be appreciated. Just can't wait for the new ATI cards. :(
Do you have buffer pools enabled in your fsx.cfg? I had major issues with spikes, and as soon as I got rid of the buffer pools, they went away.Bill

No I am not using BufferPools. I am not using InfinityMask either. I even let FSX rebuild the fsx.cfg file when trying different releases. I should mention that I am using FSX SP2.Memory speed, interesting. I will have to do some experimentation.

I put my 4970 1GB card back in and FSX run just fine. I guess I will have to RMA the card back and see what they say. However I do think the problem is the driver code. Oh well!

Disable SLI in the NV control panel and your frame rate spikes will disappear.
I had tried that and still had spikes. So I RMA'd the card so they could check it out.

Guest belgrado

I have GTX 280 and it works great. Desable anti alising and download and use NHANCER for you graphic settings. It will work !

I get spikes and flashes in FSX with a 280 card. I've tried to solve it with and without the buffer pool setting and the infinity mask setting. Neither setting made any difference. I use nHancer and it makes no difference, still getting spikes and flashes. I've looked in the Nvidia control panel, there's no setting for SLI. The only time spike and flashes are less of an issue is when I turn down the in-game graphics settings to pre-i7 graphic levels.i7 940Vista 64gtx 280

I get spikes and flashes in FSX with a 280 card. I've tried to solve it with and without the buffer pool setting and the infinity mask setting. Neither setting made any difference. I use nHancer and it makes no difference, still getting spikes and flashes. I've looked in the Nvidia control panel, there's no setting for SLI. The only time spike and flashes are less of an issue is when I turn down the in-game graphics settings to pre-i7 graphic levels.i7 940Vista 64gtx 280
What do you mean by 'I turn down the in-game graphics settings to pre-i7 graphic levels'?

What do you mean by 'I turn down the in-game graphics settings to pre-i7 graphic levels'?
I lower the autogen level, mesh and texture resolution back to a level as used on my previous computer, at which point I experience far less spiking and artifacting. One thing I have noticed. At the start of a flight session, if I go chase view and rotate around the aircraft about 20 times or so then the artifacting and spiking basically goes away. That's about the best I can describe it.i7 940gtx 280 1gbasus motherboardvista 64

I lower the autogen level, mesh and texture resolution back to a level as used on my previous computer, at which point I experience far less spiking and artifacting. One thing I have noticed. At the start of a flight session, if I go chase view and rotate around the aircraft about 20 times or so then the artifacting and spiking basically goes away. That's about the best I can describe it.i7 940gtx 280 1gbasus motherboardvista 64
The problem happens when I go to chase view and rotate. And the more I do it the worse it gets. Anyway card went back to get checked. Seems like the drivers (novidia and ati) are both getting worse.Unified = way to much code.Oh well.

Seems like a bad deal alright, considering money spent. It's very strange that I can negate the problem after 20 seconds or so of rotating, but it never should be like that in the first place. I lack the knowledge to ascertain the actual reason; there are so many variables at play. There is definately lot's of flickering at the start of every flight. Whatever textures are surrounding the plane are being drawn in random spikes and flashes. Post the results if you are getting a card replacement.

User Bufferpools. If your Vcard has 1GB, you can use a bufferpool value between 10 000 000 and 100 000 000[bufferPools]PoolSize=10000000

Guest rdg

Not sure but if this card has 2gig on board, it very well may be an issue if you are running a 32 bit OS. How much on board memory do you have?The spiking, I am not sure about. If you are using XP, it might be worth investigating the /3GB and userva=xxxx switch's used in the boot.ini.If you are already aware of this and the problems that can occur,and understand what these switch's do, then disregard this reply.RegardsBob G