Sign in to follow this  
tfm

Black/disappearing textures? Some bizarre news ...

Guys that ATI HDMI audio driver/device has nothing to do with FSX's sound - it's a pass through system for outputting the sound from the PC through to a TV or home theater system reciever via HDMI. This is really only used with movies and other HDCP protected content too...This is strange that disabling sound seems to fix the issue though for you guys. Can anyone verify if disabling sound fixes it right there on the spot while the problem is actually occurring?
Ryan: I can verify that turning the sound "off" while the problem is actually occurring (having been "on") does NOT fix the problem right there on the spot. A re-start is required.Ian: I have also had the problems you describe on a random basis, particularly when dawn / dusk textures are being shown. I have always assumed it was part of the same "ALT+ENTER" problem - but obviously I have no idea what's going on.Tim

If these issues happen at dusk/night/dawn then perhaps Ultimate Terrain X night lighting is the culprit for those who may have it installed?

Konrad

If these issues happen at dusk/night/dawn then perhaps Ultimate Terrain X night lighting is the culprit for those who may have it installed?
Yes, I thought that too. But I excluded UTX as the cause a long time ago: the problem can occur with or without UTX and with or without night lighting. Tim

Sad to say the issue still exist for me. Damm I really thought I had it fixed. I flew to long flights and was able to go in an out of menu's without a problem. It occured when during my replay of landing at JFK fsdreamteam's scenery. Jackie

Guest Stroman81

Hi,I was experiencing the same problem (black + corrupt textures when using the alt button to much) on about avery addon aircraft I have (PMDG MD11, LDS 767, Flight1 ATR, Wilco E-Jet,...). As mentioned in another topic, switching to flying in DirectX10 preview mode solved the problem for me. Downside to this solution was the fact that many of my preferred addons aren't DX10 compatible. I have also imported quit a number of FS9 sceneries into FSX, which work fine unless you fly at night (no night textures are shown). Now this morning I installed the new Nvidia 185.85 videocard drivers, and just out of curiosity (I had already given up hope to find a solution) returned to DX9 mode. I put the wilco E-jet at Orbx Melbourne airport (quite a complex addon aircraft and a heavy airport), enabled ActiveSkyX, PFE and FDC. I was able to complete the whole flight from YMML to YBTL (about a 2h45m flight) without problems. I excessively used the ALT button on purpose, but never failed to return to the normal screen.So I still think the problem is caused by the videocard driver, rather then a soud driver problem. Ofcourse, could be a conflict between the soundcard driver and videocard driver perhaps? Since everything is working fine again on my system, I'm unable to test the "switch sound off" solution mentioned in this topic.Kind regards,Nico :(

Hi,I was experiencing the same problem (black + corrupt textures when using the alt button to much) on about avery addon aircraft I have (PMDG MD11, LDS 767, Flight1 ATR, Wilco E-Jet,...). As mentioned in another topic, switching to flying in DirectX10 preview mode solved the problem for me. Downside to this solution was the fact that many of my preferred addons aren't DX10 compatible. I have also imported quit a number of FS9 sceneries into FSX, which work fine unless you fly at night (no night textures are shown). Now this morning I installed the new Nvidia 185.85 videocard drivers, and just out of curiosity (I had already given up hope to find a solution) returned to DX9 mode. I put the wilco E-jet at Orbx Melbourne airport (quite a complex addon aircraft and a heavy airport), enabled ActiveSkyX, PFE and FDC. I was able to complete the whole flight from YMML to YBTL (about a 2h45m flight) without problems. I excessively used the ALT button on purpose, but never failed to return to the normal screen.So I still think the problem is caused by the videocard driver, rather then a soud driver problem. Ofcourse, could be a conflict between the soundcard driver and videocard driver perhaps? Since everything is working fine again on my system, I'm unable to test the "switch sound off" solution mentioned in this topic.Kind regards,Nico :(
The picture I posted is with the 185.85 drivers, and it was present with any other driver aswell. The only addon that I have that is a little suspect is REX. When I use the REX weather engine and ONLY the REX weather engine, My cursor thing for turning the knobs and switches is flashing and poping all over the place. If I use the default weather or no weather at all its fine. Can anyone verify that they are using REX for weather or textures and have any of these problems. I would also be interested for those who don't use REX and if they are having any issues. Could be the way the textures interact with each other.

I do not use the Rex weather engine but I use the sky and runway textures. I use FEX for the clouds. Jackie

Yes, I thought that too. But I excluded UTX as the cause a long time ago: the problem can occur with or without UTX and with or without night lighting. Tim
Tim, As you know, I have been experiencing the exact same situation as you, and others, have described. I followed your suggestion and I tried turning off all sounds prior to loading my test flight. I was able to complete the flight, land, go into instant replay and return to the cockpit without ANY corruption of the graphics. That is the FIRST TIME that has ever happened. I have tried every fix, solution and suggestion that has ever been posted, along with my own endless tinkering, to absolutely no avail. This is the first, and only, successful flight I have completed so far. Seems like you may have hit upon something, what that is, I don't know, but it is very promising to at least see SOME progress. Hopefully, more people will try this technique and really determine if the audio driver, not the video driver, is actually at fault.Good Work!Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Tim, As you know, I have been experiencing the exact same situation as you, and others, have described. I followed your suggestion and I tried turning off all sounds prior to loading my test flight. I was able to complete the flight, land, go into instant replay and return to the cockpit without ANY corruption of the graphics. That is the FIRST TIME that has ever happened. I have tried every fix, solution and suggestion that has ever been posted, along with my own endless tinkering, to absolutely no avail. This is the first, and only, successful flight I have completed so far. Seems like you may have hit upon something, what that is, I don't know, but it is very promising to at least see SOME progress. Hopefully, more people will try this technique and really determine if the audio driver, not the video driver, is actually at fault.Good Work!Jay
Hello Jay. I'm glad someone else's PC has got the same "sound" quirk as mine but we're not really further forward towards a solution.I'm not sure we can exclude the graphics driver. I updated to the 185.85 driver today. This does NOT cure the problem, but the behaviour is slightly different: when switching from windowed to full screen mode with sound "on", I get a different sort of distortion from before: instead of the mucky background textures mixed with black etc, the whole screen flashes wildly mostly in black. But if this is a graphics driver issue, I don't understand why more people don't see it.Are you using a TV screen on HDMI? Or a monitor on DVI? Or a monitor on VGA?Tim

Hello Jay. I'm glad someone else's PC has got the same "sound" quirk as mine but we're not really further forward towards a solution.I'm not sure we can exclude the graphics driver. I updated to the 185.85 driver today. This does NOT cure the problem, but the behaviour is slightly different: when switching from windowed to full screen mode with sound "on", I get a different sort of distortion from before: instead of the mucky background textures mixed with black etc, the whole screen flashes wildly mostly in black. But if this is a graphics driver issue, I don't understand why more people don't see it.Are you using a TV screen on HDMI? Or a monitor on DVI? Or a monitor on VGA?Tim
Tim,I'm using a Dell 24" monitor with DVI connection. I also get that wildly flashing black and white in the windshield view. When I try to somehow get the screen back to normal by switching views, or ALT-ENTER, the entire screen will then turn black, more often than not. The sim is still running, I can (and always have to end up doing) hit ESC, and then end the flight (insert my cursing wildly at this point).To me it's always *seemed* like it has to be a graphics driver, or more specifically, a Vista/DX9 graphics driver issue. I haven't seen one post from an XP user experiencing the same problems we are. I can also confirm, as others can as well, that DX10 CURES THIS ISSUE. However, is it possible that it's the sound portion of the DX9/10 driver that's at fault? It's way over my head, that's for sure, but there are some sharp people 'round here...Gonna try some more 'silent' mode flying and I'll report back...Let's keep at it, something's gotta give :( Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

I agree Jay, I tested with an older ATI driver today long flight from RJTT to YBBN and was successful at viewing the replay and switching modes. It's such a hit an miss issue but as you said something's gotta give. Jackie

Wait, so you guys HAVE seen this on other products besides PMDG? (Nico said he saw it on a host of planes) That would tend to rule out anything in our code being responsible if it's not isolated to our airplanes...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Only the 747 for me so far Ryan, especially when I go into the menu during flight.Jackie

I agree Jay, I tested with an older ATI driver today long flight from RJTT to YBBN and was successful at viewing the replay and switching modes. It's such a hit an miss issue but as you said something's gotta give. Jackie
JackieWell, at least we know it's not an nVidia or ATI isolated issue as it happens on both. You say you tested on an older driver, but what about turning off all sound prior to beginning the flight as Tim suggested, have you tried it? It has worked for me, but I'm still testing to see if it was a fluke.

Only the 747 for me so far Ryan, especially when I go into the menu during flight.Jackie
Ryan: I've only seen it on PMDG planes: the 747X and the MD11. I also use the LevelD 767X.Jay: I might be on to something: can you do me a favour? Try updating to the Nvidia 185.85 drivers (if you haven't already). Then go to the Nvidia control panel and do two things:(1) Make sure your "Program settings" for FSX are MANUALLY set to copy the "Global settings".(2) For both Global and Program settings, set "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" to "Compatibility performance mode".Then try with "Sound on".Let me know what happens.Tim