Sign in to follow this  
Peter James

EZDok - simply the greatest add-on!

I have never loved any add-on as much as this... in my almost 30 years of being a flightsimmmer!! EZDok has almost now killed FS9 from my computer. The Active Camera add-on was the main reason I was still using FS9. That, plus my BBJ by Ariane is the only reason I was still loving FS9...but now....with the sweet EZDok utility, the ground bumps, shaking, turbulence etc etc... and awesome camera abilities i am addicted to FSX again.... it makes flying all the default aircraft a dream as well as the payware ones. I am rapidly building camera sets to share. I am hoping to get them online here at avsim today.. the Level D 767 was a joy to build VC cameras for.... and for the free ORBX biplane you can get, I made a camera on the wing to wing walk on! ha!As I fly jets almost everyday in real life (A Beechjet) I can tell you if you really want to enjoy what real pilots see...the viewpoints are so important as well as that feeling of shaking on the ground (runways are not smooth!!! especially at near VR) so real.... you can't live without this add-on. And, on an i7 950 GTX280M based laptop, there is NO frame rate reduction or stutters whatsover over default flying.

Guest rdg

I have to agree with you 100%. I have been involved since the early days and there have been many some incredible addons, but this one has upped the immersion factor for me 3 fold.Bob

....with the sweet EZDok utility, the ground bumps, shaking, turbulence etc etc... and awesome camera abilities i am addicted to FSX again.... it makes flying all the default aircraft a dream as well as the payware ones. I am rapidly building camera sets to share. I am hoping to get them online here at avsim today.. the Level D 767 was a joy to build VC cameras for.... and for the free ORBX biplane you can get, I made a camera on the wing to wing walk on! ha!
I agree that EZdok is a great utility. It really brings another element of immersion to my flights, although I have really only used it in the LDS 767 so far, but its pretty neat to see the VC react to turbulence when your at altitude.I am interested to see what you have done for the LDS 767 if you upload them. I spent about a good week trying to get my VC camera effects dialed in for that plane. I am using a combo of RND with Ground on and Air turned off, and DHM turned on. This has been the best compromise I have been able to get for a realistic takeoff and landing shake, while using DHM for effects in the air based on the real weather. So far, the ground roll with RND has been the hardest for me to get the effect I am looking for. At first with the default RND setting I was getting way too much bobbing up and down and it took some help from Marniftarr to get the shaking and bobbing tightened up so that I now have more of a vibration effect. It does look pretty cool though when you land and the autobrakes and reverser kick in the the VC starts to vibrate until the speeds lower.I have yet to add many views or even try it in other a/c. I can only imagine if I have spent this much time just getting one camera dialed in, how long it would take me to set up cameras for all my a/c. At least I could probably just export my LDS setting to use in other airliners.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sounds interesting - but I wonder what performance hit I might have with a slower computer . I'd appreciate any info you folks might have - please include your computer specs. Thanks Howard

Hi Peter, and others ...I've been wavering on this one because of my Track IR-4. Like you, a RW pilot, but NOT like you, meaning, not very computer savvy ... I was concerned from things I have read that EXDock may not be that user friendly. Your excitement is contagious, however. Is it easy to get it up and running, guys?And Peter ... I STILL enjoy, believe it or not, FU-3 raindrops once in a while. :( Good to hear from you and to knowing you are still flying. Steve

Sounds interesting - but I wonder what performance hit I might have with a slower computer . I'd appreciate any info you folks might have - please include your computer specs. Thanks Howard
My specs are in my sig and are old by todays standards, but on my rig there is no performance hit at all, in fact FPS is the same when I have it enabled as well as disabled. It may be different if it caused the video card to redraw the outside scenery, but it only moves the VC not the outside scenery.
Your excitement is contagious, however. Is it easy to get it up and running, guys?Steve
That was my main concern before I bought it. Getting up a runnng and placing the camera views is the easy part. Tuning the effects is the hard part. However, it does come with preset effects which are good and you can use those. But if your like me and want to make the effects perfect to the way you want it, then it will take some tweaking with the adjustments, which can be time consuming, but they can be done on the fly without having to close FSX or reboot.All in all a good value for the money and the support is excellent, plus Flight1 has a 30 day refund policy if you dont like it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Shane_ef

Hi guys does anyone have a link to where i can buy it

That was my main concern before I bought it. Getting up a runnng and placing the camera views is the easy part. Tuning the effects is the hard part. However, it does come with preset effects which are good and you can use those. But if your like me and want to make the effects perfect to the way you want it, then it will take some tweaking with the adjustments, which can be time consuming, but they can be done on the fly without having to close FSX or reboot.
I agree, setting up new cameras is a breeze, but adding effects (shaky head, random jostling, etc) is much harder. The amount of detail and work that went into this mod astounds me, based on looking at all the controls available. For those that don't know, the planes that come with FSX are given some cameras by the EZCA tool automatically, but for payware aircraft you have to add your own. You can export cameras from stock planes and then import them into your payware plane, but to create cameras from scratch, with effects, looks like quite a learning curve -- at least the effects part.cmpbellsjc, you wrote that there are some preset effects. I must have overlooked them. How would I create a raw camera, and then add some preset effects to it? Like you, I want the effects to at least somewhat "fit" the aircraft properly.

it's all easy once you port over the default aircraft's settings... then modify... just click in a blank box 3 times, name it like captain, then go up to the upper right corner where you give it a key... like 1 then a cooresponding joystick button and voila! Now in your plane it the numpad 2 to get going, move the mouse, zoom, height of seat, and forward/backward of seat, use mouse to aim view better and "lock it in " by hitting 2 again! it's that easy!! I can now do up to 10 viewpoints for any virtual cockpit in 5 min!! and you can edit on the fly....if anyone wants my cam settings for LDS767, just email me until I get it on avism....jetpeter1@yahoo.com...or a cam for the lear45, maule, Ariane 737-900ER, or the Orbx tigermoth or the default F18...hmmm.... and more coming!

it's all easy once you port over the default aircraft's settings... then modify... just click in a blank box 3 times, name it like captain, then go up to the upper right corner where you give it a key... like 1 then a cooresponding joystick button and voila! Now in your plane it the numpad 2 to get going, move the mouse, zoom, height of seat, and forward/backward of seat, use mouse to aim view better and "lock it in " by hitting 2 again! it's that easy!! I can now do up to 10 viewpoints for any virtual cockpit in 5 min!! and you can edit on the fly....
What you describe is indeed easy (and fun), but I was referring to creating cams on payware planes from a blank canvas. I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to import cams from the Piper Cub into say, the Aero L39 jet :)I can create the new cameras from nothing quite easily, but adding the effects, I'd be lost. There are a ton of variables. Are there preset effects somewhere that I'm missing?
if anyone wants my cam settings for LDS767, just email me until I get it on avism....jetpeter1@yahoo.com...or a cam for the lear45, maule, Ariane 737-900ER, or the Orbx tigermoth or the default F18...hmmm.... and more coming!
This is a good idea. We could share camera settings for payware a/c. Example: each camera is it's own file, so you'd have to take all of a plane's cams and zip them up for easy trading.

I seem to have lost my previous post asking this question... so I'll ask again. To pan around the VC, do you have to use both hands - one holding down the mouse center button and the other working the keyboard arrow keys, or is there a way to keep one hand on the flightstick? I'm thinking of getting this but if panning around means letting go of the flightstick, it's a no-go.Thanks. :(

I seem to have lost my previous post asking this question... so I'll ask again. To pan around the VC, do you have to use both hands - one holding down the mouse center button and the other working the keyboard arrow keys, or is there a way to keep one hand on the flightstick? I'm thinking of getting this but if panning around means letting go of the flightstick, it's a no-go.Thanks. :(
Panning is done with the hat on the stick, so no, you don't have to let go. :(

Panning is done with the hat on the stick, so no, you don't have to let go. :(
Ah, thank you.So I can pan in 3D, meaning side to side, up and down, and zooming in on the switches (as if I were leaning forward) all while keeping my hand on the flightstick?Sorry to be repetetive, but this is really a deal breaker for me and I wan't to be sure of what's going on.

Ah, thank you.So I can pan in 3D, meaning side to side, up and down, and zooming in on the switches (as if I were leaning forward) all while keeping my hand on the flightstick?Sorry to be repetetive, but this is really a deal breaker for me and I wan't to be sure of what's going on.
Yes. Here's what I do. Not sure what flight stick you have, but I have the Saitek X52. I setup my cameras in Ezdok, then assign the various cams to buttons on the stick. Panning is auto-assigned to the hat (it overrides the fsx hat-pan). So let's say you set up a "panel" cam which zooms in and looks at your main panel area up close, I assign that to T1 on the X52 (the big switches at the bottom), and I assign "pilot eyes to T2. So I can pan around with the hat as pilot, then press T1 and I'm zoomed in to the panel. I can hat pan from here too if I want -- ok, press T2 and I 'float' back to pilot. These cameras are customizable practically to the limits of your imagination. I dare say you wont' be disappointed. And even if you are, Flight1 has a 30-day money back guarantee. Here's a 2 minute video I shot of me flying the L39 over the Oregon coast. In this you can see me switching to various cameras I'd set up. Keep in mind though, that the cameras I set up did not yet have the "shaky" effects enabled, but you can see the panning, zoom, switching etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndYAvo_6anIIf you have the bandwidth, I highly recommend you choose "1080p" from the resolution menu, and go fullscreen for full effect!