Sign in to follow this  
Paul

FlightSimmer Shrink Needed!

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Why not set it up again? My dad had a small RR in our basement when I was a kid! I loved every minute of it! Especially turning off the lights hehe
My dad set up a G-scale layout that spanned the entire back yard around the pool, complete with bridges over two ponds, and a tunnel through a brick wall. He passed away 12 years ago, and my brother and I haven't been able to find the time or money to restore the tracks to their former glory. Dozens of the two foot long engines and hundreds of box cars, hoppers, and gondolas sit dormant. Can't imagine how much money was (is) tied up that setup.Sorry for the OT threadjack, but I like like trains almost as much as airplanes, and I just had to comment!

Why not set it up again? My dad had a small RR in our basement when I was a kid! I loved every minute of it! Especially turning off the lights hehe
"Woodhick" has already given a pretty comprehensive answer. The issue is time! I used to spend up to 14 hours/day working on my "Railroad Empire." Even so, it took over twelve years before I couldn't think and/or afford anything more to do with it... :)For anyone who knows, my layout was about 1/100th of the size and detail of John Armstrong's venerable "Canandaigua Southern." :( The main point I was attempting to illustrate though was the relative costs between the two hobbies. Flightsim is far and away one of the least expensive hobbies one could have. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Flight Simmers don't need a shrink, because they're curedby being Flight Simmers.It's the people who don't Flight Sim that need professional help.

Quoting n4gix: "Flightsim is far and away one of the least expensive hobbies one could have" Exactly the point I was hoping to illustrate. I spent $40.00 (I think) for the excellent Beech Duke the first day it was available. I haven't spent anything since. Not expensive, and you're going to have a computer anyway so you almost can't count that cost.

When I learned to fly in the 50's, it cost me $6 per hour for a Cessna 140, instructor and gas. I figure that today it's about 4 times the cost after correcting for inflation ($6 then equals $45 now). If only I could take the money I have now and do things for what I paid then. Thanks to FSX, I can.
LOL! If you can find flight instruction (plane included) for $45/hour anywhere on earth, do it! My plane alone was $90/hour wet, plus another $45 or so for the instructor. And we'd go up for a couple of hours at a time. I've got the opposite situation from some of you guys as an FS developer. The "hobby" actually earns me money, so my missus is happy to leave me alone to do what I want with it. She was a nervous wreck the whole time I was taking flight lessons, so knowing that I'm only in the next room at my computer makes her smile.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

LOL! If you can find flight instruction (plane included) for $45/hour anywhere on earth, do it! My plane alone was $90/hour wet, plus another $45 or so for the instructor. And we'd go up for a couple of hours at a time.
My statement was that the cost was 4 x $45 =$180/hr. Your cost is only 3 x $45 or 25% cheaper. If I could get it for $45/hour, I'd be out there doing it rather than sitting in this chair.

Art

Guest 413X3
Flight Simmers don't need a shrink, because they're curedby being Flight Simmers.It's the people who don't Flight Sim that need professional help.
Amen to that, everyone needs a release and a happy place. for us, it is the fs world. I spent 100 at a bar the past weekend, I'd rather spend that on fs addons and get more enjoyment and less liver damage!

I'm a professional therapist and a flightsimmer. Flightsimming can be very therapeutic for a number of reasons. Just be sure to keep balance in life--family, friends, spiritual and intellectual pursuits, etc. :(

Therapeutic you say ... geez i'm still pulling my hair out (what i have left) trying still to get rid of the stutters ... you say your a professional therapist? how much do you charge? :( I think i need a shrink right now LOL

I am pretty fortunate--My wife does not balk at any of my aviation expenses both real and simulator. She knows it's my disease, it is incurable and it came with the package she signed on with :)

Jim Atkins

I am pretty fortunate--My wife does not balk at any of my aviation expenses both real and simulator. She knows it's my disease, it is incurable and it came with the package she signed on with :)
:( :( :(

André