Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

What does it take...

Yep, It's been too long since one of my off the wall topics. I was just getting a flight ready for FSX when my brother in-law asked "Are you still planning the same flight?" hehe. Well, for me the planning is as much fun as flying it, but just thought of what others go into before they launch a flight and get to the actual sim part of it. Here's a list of what I go through most of the time now before a flight:Prep stage

• First I decide where I'm going and if there is a route available or not. I check VROUTE and if there isn't anything available then I create my own route.
  • *Often there isn't a route since I like to fly to the not so popular airports most of the time.
  • I start planning on http://www.runwayfinder.com and get all my waypoints and vectorways or jetways and upload my route to VROUTE for approval to make it available to others.
  • I start up ASE (Active Sky Evolution) and check the winds for my departure and arrival airports to get an idea of Active RWY.
  • I check the charts for the rwy's on http://flightaware.com (I don't print them, but I write down RW heading, ILS freq, TDZE, MDA (just DA for LPV), the Morse code identifier (to check during approach), and missed approach as well as the various fixes.
  • I will sometimes look at the departure charts, but not always.
  • Due to my resolution I need to resize all of my popup windows each flight, so normally launch FSX, resize all of them and then set it to cold and dark. Lastly save the flight at the time and gate of my choice. I also always exit FSX after first going to windowed mode for later.
  • For optimal performance I will normally reboot my comp at this time and not run other apps such as IE. I let the comp come to idle and make sure I don't have any crap running that doesn't need to be (normally not an issue since I have most things disabled anyhow). This way too I free up memory since I often have a ton going on at any one time.

Application initialization

• First thing I noramlly do is run the MD-11 load manager. I hit Random Pax and write down my ZFW & ZFWCG (I get the other values during startup).
  • I start TrackIR and get that running and minimized.
  • Start up ASE again and once initialized I go into the briefing page and load my flight plan and look it over for weather along the route.
  • I start up STB (Super Traffic board) if running in windowed mode.
  • I start up RC4 (Radar Contact) and make sure the settings are set to my liking as well as upload the route.
  • Finally I go into FSX and load my saved flight.
  • I have a habit now to go into FSUIPC and clear all weather, then I refresh it with ASE and do a "Refresh AI Aircraft".
  • The AES window never remembers it's size so I bring that up and resize it just because I'm anal :(.
  • I start by turning on the bat, request Ground power, open my cargo doors and 4 cabin doors then set my parking brake (I do the brake this way to trigger the start of AES).
  • I continue through the MD-11 Startup procedures and after my route is loaded I check various waypoints at certain alts, write them down then reference ASE for the winds on the briefing page (sometimes I get from the report page). I do this for both my forcasts and enter them accordingly. I also set the current wind and temps for both airports.
  • Once I'm nearing the end of my startup of the MD-11, I start up FSPassengers. I set my arrival airport and normally a time of arrival guess.
  • I often let them load real time (20 minutes) while I finish up getting ready for departure.
  • Because I like the option for progressive taxi but use RC4, I contact the default ATC and ask for taxi even though I have it muted. Once they give me my departure runway I can now start RC4.
  • Prior to starting RC4, I enter the "Souls on board" in the general tab of RC, from my FSP manifest, double check my settings, start RC4 and get my IFR clearance.
  • If it's been a while which it sometimes can be since other things take me from the comp all to often, I refresh the weather.
  • I set FSX to Full screen normally here.
  • After I have my passengers on board and ready, I start my push and start.
  • I contact ground and start my progressive taxi truck via "Follow Me" shorcut (much better than arrows).

From here it's the normal routine I'm sure most people do.I'm sure a lot of you have even more steps, like things you do with TOPCAT. I actually own TC, but haven't used it in so long I need to relearn it haha.Anyway, I'm anxious to know what you all do, whether it be "I launch FSX and away I go" or maybe something that makes my routine look small in comparison.The steps above I do 90% of the time, with the addition being just starting to use RC again. This whole process normally takes as long or longer than the actual flight, but to me it's all part of simming.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Good topicI have a similar repertoire; first I decide where to fly, then I go to flightaware to find the routes used that day. Next I go to Airnav and get the WX for departure field and appropriate SID. I then fire up multicore environment to get FSX and ASE rolling, load my A/C du joir, start FS2Crew, and get everything ready for my flight.. The whole process takes about 30 minutes, which means I only get to fly on weekends, but that's another story. Next step is to fire up squawkbox and begin my flight

It usually takes me a full two hours to prepare for a flight. Everything from getting dispatch from my VA to physically writing out my Flight Plan (I have a paper flight plan for every flight I've ever done on VATSIM), speed card, and collecting all my charts. Then reserving the flight on the VA site, collecting and reviewing all the METAR data and filing my flight plan with VATSIM. Start the sim at the gate used in real life for the specific flight on the specific day, about half an hour before wheels up. Enter data in the FMC and review it, calculate Fuel for specific phases of flight and take care of all my NAT and Oceanic/Gander radio if its a cross the pond flight....I take it a bit far, I know. :(

Good topic. My routine is similar. I actually like the planning part. You certainly learn that the better the planning, the better the flight. I actually think this hobby has helped me in other things in life by making me more attentive to the planning part of complex tasks.

I tend to plan my flights out ten to fifteen in advance. I will sit down, watch the game, or a movie, and flight plan, knowing in gerneral the airports I want to go to, and then use vRoute to see if any routes are to my liking, and if they are not, I use FSCommander to make my own. I store then the route, the plane I plan to use, three alternates, two enroute alternates, a departure alternate, an appropriate cruise atlitude, and FSCs guesstimate on the time enroute., and download any appropriate charts.When I am going to start a flight, I will power up my tower, then my laptop.Using EVGA Precision, increase the fan speed on my GPU to 75%Activate my FSX profile for my X52 pro.Open my flight planning spreadsheet.Open my chart folder.Start TOPCAT (if flying the Level D 767 or the PMDG 747)Start up Active Sky Evo. Let it do its thing, then load in the flight plan I saved from FSC.Start up WideFS.Start up Radar Contact and load the flight plan.Start up vRoute and find the route I plan to use.Start up FSFlight Keeper.Then I start AISmooth and FSX via the external frame limiter.Verify ASE has established a connection with FSX.Set up the flight, with the default Cessna, destination airport and the correct GMT time.Load the flight, set the parking brake, and kill the engine. Verify ASE has my location correct, then load the aircraft I will fly.Once aircraft is loaded and established cold and dark situation (epecially so for JS41 and 747), start FSPax flight to determine PAX load and flight number (if not mirroring real world flight).Cancel FSPax flight. Load PAX data into Topcat or aircrafts load manager. Randomize cargo load (TOPCAT or loadmanager).Get total payload weight (in lbs of course), load into vRoute to get fuel load. Fuel and load the aircraft via TOPCAT or other means.Print Flight Progress Card from vRoute.Start FSPax flight. Change flight number. Enter estimated block to block time via numbers given by vRoute.Initialize FSCrew 2, running pre-flight.Open controller info in RC4, set up two best alternates, write down the frequencies for the departure and arrival airports on the Flight Progress Card.Load the passengers, get the weather, get clearence, get the show on the road, and off we go into the great blue yonder.I think that is it, hope I didnt forget anything.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

• At the end of every flight i decide where to go next, and get my route, load, etc. written down as well as opening the Fuel Planner application i have, and get the loads i will need.• Re-read the limitations part of the manual (paranoia) • When it's time to fly i start up my PC and launch FSX • Load up the 747, reposition it to the terminal that is used in real life by the airline, make sure that the aircraft is parked perfectly at the gate• Load up Cold and Dark (or Quick Turn Around depending on my mood) panel state• Open up the load manager, and send the loads to the aircraft, I will also re-check the fuel needed (because i'm paranoid)• Return to FSX, Open FSINN and connect to VATsim• Load up all charts on my iPad• Once i'm done setting up, and about to get to the Before Start Checklist I do a take-off briefing (yes, i talk to myself a lot on my flights because I am crazy, obsessed even with getting everything done as close to the real world as possible)• Everything is set, and off i go.• At the end of the flight, i plan my next one.For some reason I feel as if i'm missing 1 or 10 things out, but i'm not sure Confused.gif

My routine is farily simple but similar since I dont run a lot of the extra programs in the back ground.1. Decide where I am going to fly. This is sometimes based off of the destination weather I saw on t.v, where one of my favorite sports teams might be playing, etc. Sometimes I will be watching the news and the weather will come on showing some really bad storm or IMC conditions in NYC or else where that looks like it might be interesting, so I will choose that area if I have an after market scenery for it. 2. Go to flightaware and see if the route has been flown recently from my airport to that destination and grab the route. If not use one of the many flight planers to get the route or plan it.3. Start ASA on my networked computer.4. While ASA is loading I will get the printed charts I may need, or if they aren't printed I will either pull them up to view on the computer running ASA, or on my iPad Touch, or on my Vibrant.5. Once ASA is fully loaded I fire up FSX.6. While FSX is loading, I will enter the route in ASA and view the briefing and winds.7. Once FSX is up, I select the airport, gate, and a/c. As of late I have only been flying the 747 regardless of distance. Then open the config manager and set PAX, cargo, fuel.8. Once flight is loaded and am sitting at the gate, I import my cold and dark panel. After it's loaded I start my flight and am off.The whole process for me to get to a cold and dark state with a flight plan and weather loaded takes me about 10 to 15 minutes. The rest of the time after that is just setting up the a/c, programming the FMC, and flying the flight.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good topic u have started here Dan, as myself iam not as involved as the previous post, but i do plan my route using vroute and always start from cold and dark panel state.Question for u or any others since u have pointed what i usually did previously when i had windows 98, i shut down the progrmas that wernt required but now i forgot which ones u need since i havnt done this for years lol and now forgot and although it mite take me awhile by trial and error was wondering which ones u need to have running. i have windows xp home, rex2 fsp rc4 32 bit operating system thx in advance.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Nice! Glad so many have listed their interesting sequence of events. It's cool also to see what addons others use. We all have a lot in common.@ Scott: Yeah, I need to relearn Topcat,,, it's somewhere on my list of things to do.@ Kristoff: Haha, love the Paranoia, although it's not paranoia, just being safe I think. Look at real world checklists. They double and triple check things also! The best part was after listing paranoia so many times, you end with "For some reason I feel as if i'm missing 1 or 10 things out, but i'm not sure" Hahaha, priceless.@ Cmpbellsjc: I noticed you mention ASA and just wanted to ask why you don't download ASE? It's free to ASA owners.Edit: Saw your sig and you already appear to have it.

Question for u or any others since u have pointed what i usually did previously when i had windows 98, i shut down the progrmas that wernt required but now i forgot which ones u need since i havnt done this for years lol and now forgot and although it mite take me awhile by trial and error was wondering which ones u need to have running. i have windows xp home, rex2 fsp rc4 32 bit operating system thx in advance.
Hi Peter, I honestly don't remember the services to shut down on XP. I would check out NickN's guide to tweaking, here. I meant mainly to shut off programs that might start when Windows loads, the ones that can be seen near the system clock in the lower right hand corner. Whenever I install something I normally disable it at startup anyway but wanted to mention this for others. After a fresh boot to maximize performance it's best to disable anything that your not going to need, such as virus scanners, weather bug, or whatever you may have loaded. Basically most things that have an exit or disable option when you right click its icon.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Dan,I noticed in your pre-flight pre-flight checklist, you didn't start FS2Crew. It's a brilliant product to invest in if you ever want to get the most out of a PMDG bird. Great thread by the way! :( I start my flight by first coming up with an entire leg for the week from my VA website. Once I have a bunch of flights down (LAX-LAS-LGA-BOS-ATL - blah blah) with the appropriate dep times, I'll load each flight up in VRoute.--Put the Vroute Flight Plans into FSX/PMDG/RC4 databases.--Load ASE--Start FSX--Load FS2crew--Load FSPax--Load RC4--Fly![[somewhere between Loading FSX and flying is an AI aircraft crashing into my parked jetliner]]

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Dan,I noticed in your pre-flight pre-flight checklist, you didn't start FS2Crew. It's a brilliant product to invest in if you ever want to get the most out of a PMDG bird. [[somewhere between Loading FSX and flying is an AI aircraft crashing into my parked jetliner]]
Hi Ken, I almost did a disclaimer about FS2Crew.I have it, and it's the bee's knee's, but am at my maxxed window count (an MD-11 thing) so if I have it running FSX will crash when I load FSP. I'll someday try an idea I have but will require a full fresh FSX+Addon installation :( I haven't used it in a long time. Have they done (or are they) doing an MD-11 voice edition?As for the AI crashing into your AC, yeah, I love realism but value my sanity too much so keep that disabled at alllll times. Nothing worse than a 1hr prep just to have it all end by some lunatic AI on crack :(

Dan Prunier

Interesting topic Dan! :DFirst of all, I only fly on VATSIM so that pretty much dictates where and when I fly. My pre-flight routine starts in the sofa1. "Hi hon, anything on the telly tonight?" So I sit with here in the sofa for perhaps an agonizing hour, thinking about how many VATSIM controllers are online right now.2. After an hour she has either fallen asleep on the sofa, or I say something about "having to check my mail...mumble mumble.. pay those late bills...mumble mumble..." and I am off to my "office".3. Start up Servinfo to check where there are VATSIM controllers online in the US in cohesive areas (I live in Finland, but when I find the time to fly Europe starts shutting down). I usually look for 1-3 hour flights so that I can be in bed not later than 3-4 AM since I go to work around 8.4. Once I have decided on DEP and ARR airports, I check out Flightaware to find routes and appropriate callsigns. I also always fly between airports that I have detailed, add-on sceneries for.5. I pre-fetch the airports charts to my iPad using the wonderful FSKneeboard app. Load the route into Vroute Pro and export the flight to FS9, LevelD, FSC 8, PMDG, Squawkbox 3 and print out the flightcard.6. Use the Level D configuration manager to load the amount of fuel Vroute suggested. I sometimes also use Topcat but for some reason it doens't happen that often.7. Start Active Sky evolution on my second computer together with FSCommander and FS Flightkeeper. Start FS9, TrackIR and FSCOM (the driver for my CPFlight MCP) and of course choose the correct dep airport with correct time and preferably at a terminal operated by my airliner (Flightaware usualy lists the gate too). Shut down the default Cessna, load the LevelD and import the FS2Crew panel state. The reason I am flying LevelD most of the time lately is because of the wonderful immersion feeling FS2Crew brings!8. I then start FS2Crew 767 voice edition and go through it's long set up. It's 45 minutes per default but I usually fast forward through the silent periods at the same time listening to the ATC radio talk to get a grasp what the situation is like at the airport.Sometime around item 4 and 5 my wife stumbles in looking drowsy, apologizes for falling asleep and heads up to bed while I head off for the beer and beer sausage. Let the show begin (which sometimes includes dealing with crying kids when you have just established yourself on approach...)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I contact ground and start my progressive taxi truck via "Follow Me" shorcut (much better than arrows).
Hi, Dan-mate! :)What is the Follow Me you mention?I have a real hard time finding my way to the gate to the runway! To follow a truck would make my taxiing far more enjoyable!

As for the AI crashing into your AC, yeah, I love realism but value my sanity too much so keep that disabled at alllll times. Nothing worse than a 1hr prep just to have it all end by some lunatic AI on crack :(
Yes yes and more yes. I have learned that hard way tht AI pilots are drunk more often than not. Turn the APLHA taxiway at O'Hare into the Kennedy Expressway, cutting me off, going the wrong direction, just madness. I really wish someone would come out with a addon program that would control ground activity. AI Smooth does a pretty good job in the air, keeping the planes away from you, but the ground is just a free for all, and I can't say it is better going on VATSIM. Been nearly sheared in half by crazy pilots taxiing at 50 kts ignoring Ground telling them to follow company aircraft (me) to RWY 28.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/