Sign in to follow this  
Chock

A380 emergency landing after engine fire

So the A380 scaremongers will now want it to go the same way as Concorde

I think the media are being pretty level headed about the whole thing. The problem here is not the fact that it had a engine failure, it's the fact that it had a uncontained failure and blew a whole in the wing, engines shouldn't do that when they go bang so this is a potential design fault. Also notice the nose gear doors are still open, this suggests some sort of hydraulic problem.

Rob Prest

LOL, what a surprise. Will this company ever make a quality aircraft? I'm glad all are safe.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

LOL, what a surprise. Will this company ever make a quality aircraft? I'm glad all are safe.
Sorry mate I cant resist, getting so tired of stupid comments like yours.... Firstly ever heard about the Boeing rudder hardovers? if not look it up, the joke is they still havn't found out the reason, yet no one says a word. Secondly Airbus didn't make the engine RR did, lastly do you really want me to start listing other crazy incidents with Boeing & Douglas...

Rob Prest

As others have noted, it appears to be an engine issue and not a problem with the aircraft itself, so all that 'if it ain't Boeing I ain't going' marketing a really excited user nonsense would appear to be a non-starter here. I think the Trent 900 is only used on the A380, but if anyone is silly enough to have a pop at that for being European in some misguided Boeing flag-waving, they'd do well to remember that it is Goodrich who make the bits which appear to have failed to contain the shrapnel, and I'd certainly not have a go at them for that when we don't know what exactly went awry at this point.And as far as 'will this company ever make a quality aircraft?' is concerned, if you ask everyone who walked away from the one which was successfully bellied into the Hudson after losing all engines, I think they'd answer that for you.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I guess RR has a situation now. And if that realy gets as serious as I believe it will become a realy bad day for their insurence company! So many A380 are grounded because of this... this will be expensive!

What a really, REALLY silly & uniformed thing to say!

No comment! Sadly missed :-((((((vololiberista
Certainly one of my favorite :)th_concorde.jpgback on subject, Glad it landed safely. Joe

Pictures online show parts of a turbine rotor disk, so I assume we're looking at a catastrophic failure of the engine core. The engine containment design is not set to handle this type of failure (too severe). Hopefully enough parts are available so that a metallurgical study can determine the failure mode. I suppose it could be engine design, manufacturing, parts, in service maintenance, operating outside design envelope etc, too hard to tell at this point. Of concern are reports that the outboard engine could not be controlled due to damage to electrical signaling cabling in the wing, as well as partial hydraulics loss. That may require a review of Airbus system design. Though in defense of EADS, shrapnel damage to the wing due to engine failure is probably hard to really model and design for.scott s..

Somewhat ironically, we do know that at least one Airbus wing design - that of the A300 - was able to resist some fairly severe shrapnel damage, when DHL aircraft OO-DLL was hit by a SAM fired by Fedayeen unit near Bagdhad. Of course it was a remarkable feat of airmanship by the crew which got the thing down, and they are on record as having said they feared that it would fail before they managed it, but it is interesting to note just how much damage an airliner wing can take, even to levels which the designers never imagined it would have to resist.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

What a really, REALLY silly & uniformed thing to say!
I agree, probably one of the top contenders for dumbest posts of 2010 :( :(

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)